By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Graham Butcher

Here is a list of all the postings Graham Butcher has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Lantern Pinions
07/11/2021 11:59:32

Another tip when making lantern pinions. When making the bobbin, leave a thin section in the middle so that this will act as a guide for the drill as it bridges the gap. After all the holes are drilled this section can be removed.

Thread: Model RAF FN5 gun-turrets from 1940
29/06/2021 10:29:36

Very impressive turret models.Lots of hours spent getting so far. Good luck with your future plans to put them in a RC model, very brave!

Glad that I am of the age that I never had to fight for my life in one.

Best Wishes

Graham

Edited By Graham Butcher on 29/06/2021 10:32:19

Thread: Are there any left?
21/08/2019 10:40:53

After having seen the recent Babini Press thread on here. I have been reading some old Practical Wireless and Practical Electronics magazines on there.

I was taken back to my youth with the number of advertisers for army surplus/ electrical bits and pieces suppliers there were then.

I can remember going to Tottenham court rd in London where nearly every shop sold stuff like that. I So the question is, are there any left?

Graham Butcher

Thread: water supply
16/06/2019 09:54:26

Why do we use drinking water to flush our toilets?

Thread: Silver Clay , Copper Clay and Bronze Clay
31/03/2018 09:20:51

Thanks for all the replies.It is always good to know about the limitations of various techniques.

Graham

30/03/2018 11:02:49

They are all available from Amazon.

Graham

30/03/2018 10:10:14

I was watching a programme on BBC4 called "Make! Craft Britain". Part of the programme was about jewellery making using a product called silver clay. It appears to be a modelling clay which can be moulded to shape then dried and finally heated to sinter the material to solid silver.

The clay is quite expensive due to the silver content but while looking for the price I noticed that you can also get copper clay and bronze clay which are obviously cheaper and could be useful for making parts for model engineering projects. Things like induction manifolds etc.

Has anyone tried it and does anyone know whether the strength of the final product is the same or degraded in some way.

It is available from Amazon and the programme is on iplayer ​for those interested.

Graham

Thread: Macc Models
13/12/2017 12:40:34

I think Macc models are back to giving their usual service. I ordered a length of bar via their website at 17:20 on the 11th December and it has just been delivered.

Excellent service.

Graham

Thread: UK supplier of 1mm T section parting blades
25/09/2017 21:29:16

Many thanks for all the replies I shall order one from Eccentric engineering.

Graham

24/09/2017 11:13:56

Does anyone know of a supplier of 1mm 0.040" wide P1N HSS parting blades in the UK. Theses are T section with a chip breaker groove. They are available in the US but wondered if there is a UK supplier. Many thanks Graham.

Edited By Graham Butcher on 24/09/2017 11:14:52

Thread: Restoring chrome plated hand wheels.
14/07/2017 13:04:59

Another alternative could be chrome powder coating. Eastwood supply a DIY system. Does anyone have any know if it is any good?

Graham

Thread: Prusa i3 Build
26/04/2017 13:13:30

If you are looking for acetone try your local fibreglass supplier. For those of you from Essex there is one at Canvey Island. https://www.cybglassfibre.co.uk/shop/products/acetone

Hope this is of use

Graham

Thread: What would some one use this tool for ?
19/10/2016 07:39:26

It could have been made to measure the straightness of arrows.

Thread: How do you?
29/01/2016 19:59:11

For those that want to know how to make one. This video will explain... https://youtu.be/a3V42KwLTeE

Graham

Thread: ML7 Crossfeed direct reading?
12/12/2014 14:03:57

I wonder whether Myford chose tool movement divisions on the cross slide because users were likely to do milling using a vertical slide.

Graham B

Thread: ME Exhibition at Leamington
18/10/2014 11:27:41

Paul,

Ian T Cobb sells both brass and steel 10BA studding. £12.50 for a 12" length in steel.

http://www.clockmaking-brass.co.uk/miscellaneous_items%202.htmL

regards

Graham

Thread: Magnetic Equivalent of 1018 Steel
04/01/2014 13:02:49

I am making a Magnetic Clock to a design by Weston Bye which was published in Digital Machinist in America. The clock is driven by a 3 phase stepper motor and then uses magnets set into the wheels to provide the gearing for the hands. DXF files are avaliable for download here **LINK** in the Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter 2012 editions if you are interested.

My question is that the steel specified for the cores and pole pieces for the coils on the stepper motor is 1018 steel. What steel available in the UK would have similar magnetic properties?

Many Thanks

Graham

Thread: Trouble getting started
26/06/2013 11:27:32

Paul,

When I started out I wanted to build an Allchin traction engine in 1 1/2" scale. At the time I had a pillar drill a vice and some basic hand tools which I had used for car restoration. I started by making as many parts that I could with these tools such as hornplates etc. I then acquired a Myford ML7 and so i made as many of the easier parts as I could with this gaining experience along the way. I then got a Tom senior M1 which I then produced some more parts, then with a rotary table I could produce some other parts. I finally finished it about eleven years later. I will add a picture to my album. So my advice would be to make a start, then as your experience grows you will be able to decide what equipment you need.

Good Luck

Regards

Graham

Thread: Graham Butcher's Warco Mill
01/09/2011 14:39:03
John

I have sent you a message

Graham
Thread: Warco Mill Identification
22/06/2011 13:26:39
Thank you to all who replied to my question regarding this mill. I should have made it clearer in my original post that I didn't intend to buy it as I have a Tom Senior myself but was trying to find out what he should be asking for it. At least we now know what model it is. Maybe Ebay will be the best option for selling it.

Many Thanks

Graham
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate