Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Warco Mill Identification

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Graham Butcher19/06/2011 09:25:31
21 forum posts
3 photos
Can anyone tell me the model number of a friends Warco mill as shown in my photo's? We cannot find a plate on it with the model number. It's a round column mill and the table size is 25 by 6 inches. He is looking to sell it so does anyone know what it's value is?
Many Thanks

Graham
Mike Poole19/06/2011 10:08:18
3676 forum posts
82 photos
I think it is the Warco VHM mill, in December 1993 it sold for £1285 inc VAT and delivery.
Mike
Richard Parsons19/06/2011 17:22:32
645 forum posts
33 photos

Mike i agree with you, Yes it is a VHM and is the same as mine. The biggest worry (and problem) was the Fibre gear wheel which was driven by the motor pinion and turned the main gear box.
I chewed up two of them. The motor pinion was something like 24DP (calculated) and the fibre gear was about 26.4 (something) DP (calculated). I do not know what Warco did about them as after the second failure in about 10 months i was a might fed up.

So in the end I fixed the joker. I made a plate with a spindle (to replace the Motor) with a slot in it to get a telescope gauge in. I averaged out a dozen or so readings. I then wrote a program to search all the DPs and Modules in a well known gear catalogue (Helical section) for the best fit at about the right ratio. Bought the cogs, fitted them job done. Ok she is a bit slower than the original andshe used to ‘ring’ a bit but now 18 years later she purrs like an old fat cat in front of the fire on a cold winter’s day.
Nicholas Farr19/06/2011 17:34:33
3988 forum posts
1799 photos
Hi Graham, I believe Michael is correct. Your photos look like an illustration in a teporary brochure I have from around 1996. From the specs in the brochure the speed range and the table size are the same. The column is 3 1/16" / (78mm), the overall max height is 39 3/4" / (1010mm), base size 17" X 13" / (432mm X 330mm) and weighs approx 140Kg.

It doesn't seem to have a model number, but the item numbers were 3030:imperial and 3031:metric. The spindle nose and register being compatible with Myford collet system, and the spindle taper being 2 Morse.

No idea of value I'm afraid.

Hope this helps.

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 19/06/2011 17:36:55

Richard Parsons20/06/2011 13:18:50
645 forum posts
33 photos

Graham, The thing is worth only what you can afford and are prepared to pay for it. How worn and loose are the slides? How much back-lash in the feed screws How bad are the signs of a ‘struggle’ are showing on the various nuts and bolts (look at those which hold the motor unit and gear box to the pillar. Remember and ask about the large fibre gear. Ask him to take the motor ff and have a good look inside at the gear. Are there any signs of the gear being ‘munched away’? Look at the oil and feel it between your thumb and finger. Do you feel any metal there? Any bits missing? What fittings and tools come with it? Have a chat with Warco.

As to value make an offer, they are quite robust machines. I have had and used mine for about 18 years.

Best regards

Dick
Graham Butcher22/06/2011 13:26:39
21 forum posts
3 photos
Thank you to all who replied to my question regarding this mill. I should have made it clearer in my original post that I didn't intend to buy it as I have a Tom Senior myself but was trying to find out what he should be asking for it. At least we now know what model it is. Maybe Ebay will be the best option for selling it.

Many Thanks

Graham

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate