Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Model RAF FN5 gun-turrets from 1940

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Timothy Huff27/06/2021 23:12:05
13 forum posts
39 photos

These were built over around 6 and a half years, chiefly from 3d-printed SLS nylon, to save weight, as the eventual intention is to film from within them mounted on a large RC model. No technical drawings remain, so they were drawn initially from illustrations, and from CAD drawings of some components done by mark Evans from wreckage. Creating the CAD drawings so that the geometry of all the moving parts allowed them to both function correctly as well as miss the internal surfaces of the enclosing perspex cupola was what took the time, as well as learning CAD throughout the whole project. Films can be found by searching Youtube for Fidd88. The most worthwhile films are linked below, the remainder more or less just documenting triumphs and disasters as it proceeded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3bkapxHp5M&t=728s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dodt_VJo1s&t=7s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQEOVeYPJYY
I'm not strictly speaking an engineer within the meaning of the Act, as everything is printed rather than machined, although, the whole structure is bolted or screwed together with hundreds of tiny M1 machine screws into hand-tapped threads!
Hope you find it interesting, there are stills on some of the other films.
Ady128/06/2021 07:50:39
6137 forum posts
893 photos

So they were powered automatically with no human inside is that correct?

Looks amazing

edit: or did a small human go into both these things?(I know they're to scale)

tuttets1.jpg

If you full screen on utube

press the print screen sysreq button

Paste into paint

save as jpg

You can get pictures

I will delete this one if you want me to

Edited By Ady1 on 28/06/2021 08:06:59

SillyOldDuffer28/06/2021 09:48:28
10668 forum posts
2415 photos

A most impressive pair of models. Original research, CAD, and modern build methods.

1940 turrets surely contained a gunner, and the rear-gunner had the most dangerous job on a thoroughly dangerous mission. Requiring even more courage in my opinion was the Ball Turret slung under the belly of a B17:

ballturret.jpg

The gunner was folded up inside, isolated from his mates, exposed to flak, and the first thing to hit the ground when the undercarriage failed...

Lest we forget.

Dave

Mick B128/06/2021 13:54:49
2444 forum posts
139 photos

They are amazing models

1200 rounds of .303 miniaturised to .0843" calibre must've been quite a challenge.

I'd thought tail turrets carried 4 guns in .303 and 2 when later modded to carry .50" Brownings?

Timothy Huff28/06/2021 14:23:59
13 forum posts
39 photos

To reply to all above:

Adv1: yes the turrets had gunners inside, although not for take-off or landing. Mine will added much later in the build when the FPV (First Person View) cameras are installed in the turrets.

Sillyoldduffer: Amen in all respects. I was taught to fly gliders by an ex Lancaster tail-gunner. Even with eyes 50 years older than mine - I was in my 20's, he would spot other gliders many seconds before I did - at least to start with!

Mick B1: I made the rounds with the belt connecting them non-functional, but actually linked them with tapered pegs to the adjacent round underneath. this allowed them to be twisted into shape in the feed-chutes and then glued into position so that they progressively curved in the track, rather than deformed. I'll post an explanatory pic of that later maybe. In the Mk III Wellington or later, the rear-turret was indeed a 4 gun FN20. Prior to the Mk III, it was a two gun FN5 in the Wellington.

20200323_145850.jpg

Edited By Timothy Huff on 28/06/2021 14:52:09

Timothy Huff28/06/2021 16:50:52
13 forum posts
39 photos

I've figured out how to make an album, and have added a small selection of photos of the turret builds. There are many many more which I can add, should people wish to see more. Sometimes the stills show things more clearly than the films on youtube, so please let me know if you'd more stills, or have questions about the build, or wish to see sectional views in CAD etc. Was a lot of fun.

45.jpg

gs.jpg

mk vi ram section 0615.jpg

Graham Butcher29/06/2021 10:29:36
21 forum posts
3 photos

Very impressive turret models.Lots of hours spent getting so far. Good luck with your future plans to put them in a RC model, very brave!

Glad that I am of the age that I never had to fight for my life in one.

Best Wishes

Graham

Edited By Graham Butcher on 29/06/2021 10:32:19

Timothy Huff29/06/2021 14:12:56
13 forum posts
39 photos

My father was a Sgt Pilot in the RAF right at the end of the war, and when I was a small child, took me to the Polish Airman's memorial at Northolt, and used to tell me about them, as it was on the way to my gran's house. Hence my aircraft will be a Polish example of a Mk 1C Wellington, which I think he would have approved of, as I later learned he took a very dim view of how both Bomber Command and even more so the Poles, were treated after WW2. When you remember 57,205 BC aircrew were killed in training or combat out of 125,000 mustered, a loss rate of 46%, all volunteers, it's pretty sobering.

On a lighter note, dad was an amateur engineer/chemist like me, but in 1940, after Dunkirk, aged 15 or so, he turned his mind to preparing for the eventuality of "Jerry" invading suburban Greenford, and started producing prodigeous quantities of home-made gun-powder, tested in increasing quantities with my uncle on grans's path or atop the Anderson. Eventually a particularly ambitious "bomb" caused the local sirens to go off, and a 'collision with authority' followed. They were adjured to "join up without delay before someone gets hurt" but were spared further by the magistrate who apparently was having difficulties not laughing!

He remained a tinkerer, and my aunt still laughs at the memory of an electro-mechanical "wasp-trap" he designed and built 70 years later.

One of Dads bombs

Ady129/06/2021 15:01:34
6137 forum posts
893 photos

Losses are not spread evenly over the course of the war.

If you win, which we did twice the big numbers happen in the first 50-60% of the conflict

In WW1 1914-16 was a bloodbath, relatively speaking

My Grans brother did bombers from 1939-45 and was the sole survivor in his squadron from the early days

Survivability increased as the war progressed because so did tactics and equipment

The Dambusters had a high attrition rate because they had to fly on a full moonlight night

Bomber command didn't do bomber ops on full moonlight nights because it was too easy to shoot you down so the Dambusters were about the only aircraft over the whole of europe that night

Timothy Huff29/06/2021 17:31:33
13 forum posts
39 photos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fry_xO3JGTo
This is one of the better films showing the mechanical linkages which keep the gunsight parallel to the guns. This took a lot of working out, as the paper illustrations I was working from had the geometry wrong - unsurprisingly - but also both the guns and the top edges of the green sight-bar had to remain clear of the close-fitting cupola "perspex" (polycarbonate) panels and supporting internal structure.
This film above was made long before a lot of the internal detail was added.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate