Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Collet Chuck

'Warco'

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Boldminer21/10/2010 14:20:00
41 forum posts
13 photos

Is the any-one out there who can inform me of the type/name of the collets which should be used with the 'Warco' chuck  illustrated and where they can be purchased ?
The collet drawing shows approx. sizes of a style that should fit. The chuck was purchased some 10 years ago but as of yet Warco have still not been able to provide me any usable collets. They did recently supply 2 sample collets for me to try but unfortunately neither were suitable. Warco's finnal advice  was, "look on the internet, I'm sure you will find some out there somewhere" . I was not really impressed but here goes, HELP!
Keith Long21/10/2010 15:18:23
883 forum posts
11 photos

Hi 

Sorry I can't identify it for you, but it looks like a fairly standard sort of spring collet, trouble is all sorts of companies made them, presumably in sizes to suit themselves. Crawford all seem too big but what about Ward, Herbert or Sharpe & Browne to name a few. Have you tried sending your sketch to some of the tooling suppliers (apart from Warco) to see if they know of anything that will fit. Trouble is you need to find an old school tooling supplier rather than a new school -" can't help without the part number" outlet.

Keith

JasonB21/10/2010 15:42:26
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles
Rotagrip have a few tat look very similar here, Have a look at the individual specs to see if they match

Jason
Peter G. Shaw21/10/2010 16:06:21
1531 forum posts
44 photos
Hi Boldminer,

Your device looks very similar to that which was originaly supplied wih the Warco 220 lathe. As it happens I have copies of some correspondence - not from me, I hasten to add - between a purchaser and Warco back in 1994. At that time the purchaser was having a lot of difficulty obtaining correct collets from Warco (does that ring a bell?) and had made some investigations himself. I will attempt to summarise what he said.

The collet seems to be DIN 6343 144E.Din 6343 143E is shorter but with a ring on top also works.

The gentleman concerned also sent me some data sheets with, from the look of it, certain collets marked. I will attempt to copy them (they are rather poor) and send them to you by Private Message. If they are any good, then you'll let us (plural as in everyone) know.

Regards,

Peter G. Shaw

Peter G. Shaw21/10/2010 16:10:32
1531 forum posts
44 photos
Boldminer,

After looking at the Private Message system, I cannot see easily how to copy 2 A4 sheets and hope to make it legible. May I then suggest that we correspond directly by email. My email address is [email protected]. Once we have made connection (!), I can then scan and email these sheets direct to you.

Regards,

Peter G. Shaw
Keith Long21/10/2010 16:15:46
883 forum posts
11 photos

It might be worth spending some (a lot) of time browsing through the Hardinge on line catalogue  http://www.shophardinge.com. If it isn't in there then I think it will be a case of buying some bar and starting making them.

You've got the outside shape already, and a chuck to try them in for fit, so with care that should be achievable. Then fit the collet holder to the lathe, insert the blank collet and drill/bore to the size you need in the holder. That should give you the best chance for concentricity to your holder. Repeat for all the sizes you want and then rig a simple holding device to allow indexing to 3 positions 120 deg apart and slit with a slitting saw. 

There have been a number of article in MEW over the years about making collets of various styles and they all boil down to pretty much the same sequence. All say leave the collets soft as there is too much danger of distortion during hardening, and anyway in normal hobby shop use they'll last a long time anyway. Probably get a better grip on a hardened shank such as a milling cutter as well.

Keith

chris stephens21/10/2010 17:59:37
1049 forum posts
1 photos
If you look at page 3, no not THAT page 3, on this site;
you might find something.
chriStephens 
Versaboss21/10/2010 23:29:25
512 forum posts
77 photos

In our part of the world these collets are called F-type. However, a collet with shaft dia of 25 mm has a total length of 77 mm and a nose dia. 27 mm. The cone angle is 32 deg.

The given dimensions seem to be converted from metric ones?

So I suspect it is really a 'special'.

Greetings, Hansrudolf

David Colwill22/10/2010 11:52:27
782 forum posts
40 photos
The Warco 220 lathes were and in fact still are made by Mashtroy http://www.mashstroy.bg/c_210_t.html   I seem to remember a collet chuck being available although I can't see one listed on their website now. They maybe worth a quick e-mail though.
Gray6227/10/2011 17:31:09
1058 forum posts
16 photos
Hi Boldminer, did you ever find a source for these collets?
I have been offered a similar chuck without collets but I don't want to lumber myself with a doorstop.

regards

Graeme
ady27/10/2011 21:38:44
612 forum posts
50 photos
They look like a smaller version of the Ward 2A collets
The rough angle on a ward 2A collet I have is about 15 degrees...yours is 14.5degrees

So Ward 1A? which are an inch in diameter

There's still a lot of those old turret lathe bits about, it was all very well made.

Edited By ady on 27/10/2011 21:59:58

mgnbuk28/10/2011 16:23:41
1394 forum posts
103 photos
I had thought I might be able to assist with these, as I have a box of similar shape collets that came from a scrapped automatic capstan lathe.

But when I dug them out today, while they are the same nominal shape they are different dimensions - overall length is 2.531", the ground end opposite the taper is 0.471" , the parallel section ahead of the taper 0.498", taper max dia. 0.734", taper min dia. approx 0.485", taper length approx. 0.451".

I cannot recall the make of lathe, but seem to recall that the collets were refered to as "dead length collets" - i don't think that the length of material protruding changes as the collet is tightend. The collet chuck on this machine was either pneumatically or hydraulically actuated & there was a bar feed fitted.

It seemed a shame for all the tooling that accompanied the machine to follow it into a skip, so the collets & few other bits were "rescued" - but a suitable holder / clamping arrangement for my S7 has yet to be designed.

Nigel B.
Ian S C29/10/2011 10:22:30
7468 forum posts
230 photos
Just a wee bit OT, I was looking at on of my older lathe books last night, it's "Small Lathe Making and using" a "Amateur Mechanic & Work" handbook from 1920, when it gets to work holding, among the collets is one that appears almost identical to yours, but it gives no dimentions, but it does show that there isn't much new in this world. Ian S C

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate