By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for chris stephens

Here is a list of all the postings chris stephens has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Midlands Exhibition
23/08/2021 18:39:33

Hi all, my fear is that there will be no more exhibitions. A show relies on two things, punters and trade stands. If punters are scared off by close contact, no shows. Traders by now are either out of business or have come to rely on the 'net for business and will no longer accept the inconvenience and costs of attending events, again no shows. I understand organisers are understandably risk averse but someone has to show faith or lose the lot, but perhaps the end has been on the cards since so many traders already abandoned us, and this china flu may be the final nail in the coffin. I do hope i am wrong as we have lost so many already.

Thread: Advice for surface finishing
20/01/2021 15:41:41

For a really fine cut finish there is little to beat a shear tool and counter intuitively cutting in reverse direction. Cuts in the tenths of thou range are entirely feasible, and obviously that means they cut cleanly which helps the finish even on awkward metals.

For a really good appearance, roller burnishing is hard to beat and there are several videos on the net to demonstrate the process, i in fact have one myself showing a very simple set up.

Thread: Calliper - Dial reading
03/11/2020 21:40:14

Dial calipers have a nasty habit of jumping if dropped, the fix for Mitutoyo is simple and by coincidence I have a video of it on my youtube channel. Just ignore the badgers, it's in there somewhere. 😴

Thread: Anyone with a Chester 626 mill can help me with a little problem?
03/11/2020 21:29:51

Do i understand correctly that you drilled a hole through the stuck sleeve, if so put a bar through the hole and beat soundly on a drift down the quill. I'm probably getting it wrong so dont shoot the messenger.

Thread: What Material for a rear tool post
19/10/2018 00:07:24

To make my rear tool post for my Bantam I used a top slide and part of the cross slide from , I think, a Boxford. It's useful because it still has its indexable four way tool post.

Thread: JB cutting tools .com
18/10/2018 23:56:03

You will please notice it makes no mention of where the inserts are made, only tools, bars, blades etc.

Thread: Removing and re-chucking a part whilst thread cutting on Myford Super 7
16/09/2018 15:45:05

For fine adjustment of threads you might find a hand held thread chaser of some benefit. No need for realigning part with a leadscrew or even running super true in the chuck.As another benefit you can also get correct thread form on rounded Whitworth threads. Do Tracy Tools still do their chaser sets?

chriStephens

Do

Thread: One way to defeat Mr.Sod
07/09/2018 13:08:44

Gordon, Not a chance, you just loose two pieces.

Thread: Tool i/d and Mitutoyo vernier advice please.
25/08/2018 21:53:39

indeed, and if there are any muggs, sorry, potential purchasers out there I will sell them one for half that.( UK only & TandCs apply)😂

25/08/2018 21:08:57

Thank you Michael we try. As long as one chap(ess) can learn from it, it was worth showing the world my grubby fingers.

25/08/2018 15:09:06

Clearly the seller has a great sense of humour! Mine is a short length of 0.9mm stainless wire not too carefully bent to a square at one end.

25/08/2018 14:52:16

As promised a video has been posted on youtube, the link is in a separate thread to allow easier searching for future readers, but just in case the link is here too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Epgo_UW_s-E

Thread: Resetting zero on Mitutoyo dial caliper
25/08/2018 14:41:28

As promised on another thread here is the video, I have put the link here as a new thread in case the other thread is not followed by all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Epgo_UW_s-E

I have come across calipers marked Mitutoyo that do not have the feature, whether they are cheap knock-offs or older versions I cannot say.

Thread: Tool i/d and Mitutoyo vernier advice please.
24/08/2018 17:20:37

Holy crap, $20 with postage! This is another of those cases where if you have a need for one, caliper user and a clumsy bugger who keeps dropping things, guilty as charged, then you should be able to make your own for less than pennies.

I will video its use and post a link soon-ish, biggest delay will be damn slow whiffy connection.

24/08/2018 13:32:09

Sorry to contradict you Micheal but to zero the dial you use the special tool (that bit of wire with a square bent at one end) that came with the caliper. Turning the dial is just for very minor alignment. I was only thinking about putting up a video on how to do it earlier this week as so many folks seem to not know how it is done.

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
21/08/2018 17:05:13

What did I do today? Well by my estimation I took a couple years of my life by boring and sleeving the oil pump housing on a BMW boxer crankcase. Close tolerance work leads to nerve racking and palpitations, hence life shortening, it pays well but is really worth it?

I can see why some folk take to drink, even though I have done it before and should have learned by now, guess that makes me an old dog.Ho hum!

Thread: Metric threads on an ML7
21/08/2018 16:23:43

Cannot give complete answer, but could they be 0BA rather than M6 both being 6x1mm?

edit, not very quick on the keyboard today, or, great minds think alike, your choice.

Edited By chris stephens on 21/08/2018 16:26:12

Thread: LED Strplights
20/07/2018 21:08:01

Got a couple for my shop and, once I read the blurb, found you don't need the standard fitting and only need to supply mains to one end for them to work.So, 6 spring Terry clips, 3 more tubes, some chocolate block and a bit of wire and I now need sunglasses to operate my mill.

chriStephens

Thread: Boring Head
17/05/2018 12:48:38

Second for tramming your head, the boring head is probably longer than the drill so will be more to one side.

Thread: Metal spinning without the need for skill, well almost without the need
08/05/2018 13:23:21

I have loaded a few pictures, in a video, of the kit in pieces to make it easy to see the way it was made. Please excuse the dreadful music, blame microsoft. the out of focus part I take full credit for..

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfXs7EFTuck&t=12s

for Bazyle, or anyone with a computer that blocks links, the title is "metal spinning roller in pieces"

Edited By JasonB on 08/05/2018 13:28:11

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate