Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Measuring instrument storage.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Taf_Pembs18/09/2023 16:18:48
126 forum posts
96 photos

Hi All,

I've done a quick search but not really found anything ..

I have the problem of getting some storage for a fair bit of measuring kit - dti's, stands, mic's, squares, etc They are all currently in either thick cardboard boxes with some storage oil / wax paper in or damaged old boxes which is obviously not doing them any good.

I had a look at the likes of the Clarke CMW-9B wooden draw chest and the Sealey equivalent (AP1608W) but the drawer depth isn't really enough for some of the stuff and judging by the reviews they don't seem to be that well made.

I've spent ages on ebay etc looking for similar second hand small ish drawer chests but not found anything either suitable or affordable !

I was just going to get something like the above and fill the drawers with shadow foam with cut outs for all the stuff.

Has anyone seen anything like that that might work?

Or is it a case of getting some decent timber and trying to make my own (although I'm not particularly good at driving wood making things like that).

Cheers..beer

Edited By Taf_Pembs on 18/09/2023 16:19:32

JasonB18/09/2023 16:47:52
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

Does it have to be a chest of that style or would a set of Bisley draws do for you, that is what I use with some home fitted divisions

Taf_Pembs18/09/2023 17:01:18
126 forum posts
96 photos

Doesn't have to be I suppose, just though that wood would keep them a little better, less damp maybe..

I presume as you use some Bisley drawers they keep OK?

JasonB18/09/2023 17:03:22
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

Not had any problems

Howard Lewis18/09/2023 17:07:15
7227 forum posts
21 photos

Many of my items of measuring equipment are stored in a Clarke box.

It has a handle on the top and full width drawers

It is HEAVY when full!

It no longer seems to be available.

Probably the nearest available now would be the top box on the CTB5C combination.

The nearest box might be the CTC6000C, or the CLB600. Although these feature some narrow drawers, rather than all full width ones

Howard.

Frances IoM18/09/2023 17:33:24
1395 forum posts
30 photos
there are hundreds of variants of 'really useful' plastic (I know dirty word) boxes - in this range are some trays of various sizes that fit within some boxes in the range - these can be used as the basis for workshop storage by building simple wood (or MDF) large drawers running on slides thus can take significant weight
File Handle18/09/2023 17:45:24
250 forum posts

Also store items in Bisley style drawers. Some of the Really Useful inserts fit them, I also use home made inserts. They tend to be very flexible. And for me the price of 2 sets of metal drawers was zero, so an added bonus. Unless well sealed timber drawers are more likely to cause rust due to absorbing and giving off moisture.

Nick Wheeler18/09/2023 18:29:30
1227 forum posts
101 photos

Traditional mechanics metal tool cabinets work for me.

The Halfords Professional are good value, and are available in several styles. The Industrial ones are better still, but probably aren't necessary for your needs.

Peter Cook 618/09/2023 19:01:48
462 forum posts
113 photos

I bought a couple of IKEA "Helmer" drawer units. Bit like the Bisley ones, but a fair bit more affordable (£45 for a six drawer unit).

They are a bit flimsier than the proper Bisley ones, but were cheaper new than my local surplus place was asking for ex office ones.

Oldiron18/09/2023 19:45:35
1193 forum posts
59 photos
Posted by Taf_Pembs on 18/09/2023 17:01:18:

Doesn't have to be I suppose, just though that wood would keep them a little better, less damp maybe..

I presume as you use some Bisley drawers they keep OK?

I prefer steel drawers such as the Bisley units. I have my doubts about using wood for instrument storage.

I was given a really nice set of gauge blocks that were ruined as they were in a wooden case that must have got some damp in it before I got them.

regards

Martin Kyte18/09/2023 20:10:34
3445 forum posts
62 photos

You need to pick your wood carefully for storage. Some species are really quite acidic the classic being probably oak which is why brass screws were generally used in oak cabinets. Lining with sticky backed baize helps protect steel items in wooden cases. Ply can be corrosive too. I have a sloped shelf with a series of holes to store taper tooling and have lined the holes with baize to avoid the adhesive used in the ply from contact with the steel shanks. Found that out by experience too. Wood is very nice for bespoke storage cases but you have to choose carefully.

regards Martin

bernard towers18/09/2023 21:32:55
1221 forum posts
161 photos

If you just use cellulose sanding sealer on all surfaces corrosion is eliminatied.

Martin Kyte18/09/2023 22:57:58
3445 forum posts
62 photos

Clearly sealing, varnishing or painting isolates the wood from the instrumentation / equipment. I was pointing out the potential pitfalls. Wood has great utility in a workshop but like any material understanding its characteristics is important. It should be noted that the absolute humidity in a closed wooden box will increase with higher temperature as the wood looses moisture if using unsealed surfaces. 
regards Martin

Edited By Martin Kyte on 18/09/2023 22:58:32

Edited By Martin Kyte on 18/09/2023 23:00:06

Taf_Pembs18/09/2023 23:50:23
126 forum posts
96 photos

Thanks for all the feedback folks, appreciate it.. some good info

I'll start looking for some Bisley style drawers or small cabinet I think (never thought of Ikea type stuff!), my workshop is opened up to the elements fairly regularly so I just wanted something that would keep them sealed up ..ish and a little tidier than strewn about the place in all sorts of boxes. I can put my hand on any of them immediately but they are all over the place - a typical rough workshop I suppose - I would just really like to get a little more order to the place..

Cheers all..!beer

Vic19/09/2023 06:44:33
3453 forum posts
23 photos

Wood was a traditional material for tool storage but I’ve seen some tools ruined by close proximity to it.

I used to have a couple of damp garages as workshops so I got into the habit of storing smaller items in clip lock boxes with anti rust paper. Measuring tools are normally kept in their original plastic boxes. I still beep some of my best stuff indoors though.

Michael Gilligan19/09/2023 08:15:21
23121 forum posts
1360 photos
Posted by Martin Kyte on 18/09/2023 20:10:34:

You need to pick your wood carefully for storage. Some species are really quite acidic the classic being probably oak which is why brass screws were generally used in oak cabinets. Lining with sticky backed baize helps protect steel items in wooden cases. Ply can be corrosive too. […]

regards Martin

+1 from bitter experience

My set of W20 collets was in a plywood rack, constructed by the previous owner

… despite being stored indoors, each collet has a ring of discolouration/corrosion at the contact line. crying 2

MichaelG.

Robert Atkinson 219/09/2023 09:37:55
1891 forum posts
37 photos

+1 for" Bisley" type drawers or Really Useful Boxes. I use both. Well worth the extra cost. I have RLB's that are about 20 years old and still perfect. The cheaper clones seem to fall apart aftaer a few years.

Robert.

Edited By Robert Atkinson 2 on 19/09/2023 09:39:14

peak419/09/2023 14:19:21
2207 forum posts
210 photos

Personally I line my drawers with VCI paper; readily available from Ebay amongst other sources.
It's a little uncomfortable at first, but I use the offcuts for my micrometer boxes

Bill

File Handle19/09/2023 15:48:32
250 forum posts

I am always surprised by the price of Bisley style sets of drawers in antique centres. But I guess people are prepared to pay their prices.

Graham Meek20/09/2023 10:24:19
714 forum posts
414 photos
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 19/09/2023 08:15:21:
Posted by Martin Kyte on 18/09/2023 20:10:34:

You need to pick your wood carefully for storage. Some species are really quite acidic the classic being probably oak which is why brass screws were generally used in oak cabinets. Lining with sticky backed baize helps protect steel items in wooden cases. Ply can be corrosive too. […]

regards Martin

+1 from bitter experience

My set of W20 collets was in a plywood rack, constructed by the previous owner

… despite being stored indoors, each collet has a ring of discolouration/corrosion at the contact line. crying 2

MichaelG.

+1

The boxed Emco ESX 25 collet set I had suffered from this problem. The Plywood rack was replaced with an ABS one and the problem went away.

As regards Wooden Engineers tool cabinets. While I used my cabinet in industry for the best part of 40 years. corrosion was never a problem. When I retired and used it in my home workshop, corrosion started to appear on certain items.

Despite having a dehumidifier in the workshop it persisted. The cause I put down to the temperature swings in the workshop. Which did not occur in the old industrial setting. While the air in the home workshop heats up quite readily the items in an insulated cabinet do not.

Any moisture present in the atmosphere of the workshop, (breath is a big source), will find its way into the cabinet and condense out on the much colder items.

Changing to a steel version of the Engineers cabinet has solved the problem. The old tool cabinet was snapped up at an Antiques fare, and the price paid more than covered the cost of the new tool cabinet.

Regards

Gray,

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate