Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Dalboy18/11/2022 07:49:16
1009 forum posts
305 photos

Has any one tried THIS instead of JBWeld and is it any good

Ramon Wilson18/11/2022 08:14:47
1655 forum posts
617 photos

Not this exact product though the original Plastic Padding Super Epoxy 20 min epoxy adhesive was an extremely tough adhesive - sadly no longer available for some reason.

I'm not certain of the characteristics of the product referred to but as a long time user of JB Weld I personally don't think there's a comparable product, strength and temperature wise for a comparable price

It has always worked so well for me I see no reason to try anything else as an alternative unless of course a stronger or more temperature resistant version became available though the JBW standard version gives a good result in that direction anyway

Best - Tug

Bizibilder18/11/2022 14:12:08
173 forum posts
8 photos

"Plastic Padding" is now marketed under the "Teroson" brand - same stuff just a different name, still made by Henkel.

ChrisLH18/11/2022 14:40:23
111 forum posts
7 photos

I watched a video some months ago on this subject. The guy did tests on various "epoxy putties" but it was US based so may apply to some brands not available here. Here is a summary but bear in mind that the test conditions probabaly would not satisfy stringent standards.

Table follows in second post.

ChrisLH18/11/2022 14:41:55
111 forum posts
7 photos

Relative price Relative shear strength

KBS Numetal 22.95 1615

JB Weld 4.98 1264

Hercules 18.16 1247

Oatey 6.94 1016

PC7 12.70 954

Quicksteel 6.35 938.

ChrisLH18/11/2022 14:42:14
111 forum posts
7 photos

Gorilla 6.99 852

POR-15 32.28 556

Pratley 8.95 435

Loctite 7.98 434

EP-400 11.99 347

A+B 18.13 271

Noted that Loctite, a reputable brans did badly and you don't necessarily get high quality for high prices

Ramon Wilson18/11/2022 14:59:31
1655 forum posts
617 photos
Posted by Bizibilder on 18/11/2022 14:12:08:

"Plastic Padding" is now marketed under the "Teroson" brand - same stuff just a different name, still made by Henkel.

Not 'Plastic Padding' per se but Super Epoxy ordinary epoxy adhesive that used to be made by Plastic Padding but thanks for the tip.

ChrisH - So JBW is second in line Chris to the KBS Numetal on strength but what a price difference. I doubt if the advantage is 400% Any idea what the temperature resistance is on the Numetal.

Thanks for taking the time to list all these products BTW

I watched a similar if not the same video and made a positive comment on here JB Weld but it was met with derision by one due to his previous videos not impressing. What it showed to me, and others however, was it's strength over the other components tested in similar fashion and reinforced my belief in JBW's suitability for use in model engineering

Regards - Tug

Edited By Ramon Wilson on 18/11/2022 15:08:09

JasonB18/11/2022 15:30:52
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

Looks like only 4000psi tensile vs 5000psi for JBW

It is also a much thicker product think like (Milliput where you mix two sticks) so not much use for bonding two flat surfaces and only good to 150deg c

link

Edited By JasonB on 18/11/2022 15:31:22

john halfpenny18/11/2022 16:36:08
314 forum posts
28 photos

So where would Araldite sit on that list?

Dalboy18/11/2022 16:38:46
1009 forum posts
305 photos

I take it from all of the comments that no one has used it or even knows what it is like

Ramon Wilson18/11/2022 18:05:40
1655 forum posts
617 photos
Posted by Dalboy on 18/11/2022 16:38:46:

I take it from all of the comments that no one has used it or even knows what it is like

No, indeed I haven't - it's probably a perfectly good product but not in the same league as JBW from a model engineering point of view - I certainly wouldn't use it for fabricating a cylinder head for instance but it's probably okay for cosmetic fillets etc. JBW can be a bit runny but that's it's only drawback as far as I have found.

Tug

PS Thanks for the link Jason - JBW it is thenwink

Edited By Ramon Wilson on 18/11/2022 18:07:32

Robert Atkinson 218/11/2022 18:26:05
1891 forum posts
37 photos

The list is meaningless as it only identifies manufacturers, no tproducts. Loctite make hundreds of different adhesives including a multitude of epoxies

Ther are many better metal filled epoxies than original JB Weld. Devcon are a notable actor in the market. Their products are used to repair real engines, pumps and the like. Of course as Tug said the price is not comparable and the pack sizes are not hobby friendly.

Robert G8RPI.

martin haysom18/11/2022 20:55:06
165 forum posts
Posted by john halfpenny on 18/11/2022 16:36:08:

So where would Araldite sit on that list?

which one ?

John Olsen18/11/2022 21:15:44
1294 forum posts
108 photos
1 articles

I must admit to a degree of scepticism about epoxy products as a substitute for metal. 5000 psi might sound impressive, until you realise that 20 tonnes per square inch is pretty ordinary for steel. I've used over 100 litres of epoxy glue to build a wooden boat, and it is great for that, but for metal I think I will be sticking with my TIG welder.

John

Clive Foster18/11/2022 22:54:17
3630 forum posts
128 photos

Totally agree with Robert about the number of different adhesives and similar products under the loctite name. For a non adhesive professional person, sorting through all the "similar but different" specification sheets to find best of breed or close to best of breed for a particular job is the sort of thing that rapidly erodes your will to live. Was very glad I was getting paid for it on the time or two I had to do such. Yet that was merely research so I could be sure I was asking the technical help folk intelligent questions.

I buy Devcon and say hang the cost because professional market things reliably do what they say on the tin and can be trusted to have balanced properties. According to a loctite tech rep tensile strength alone is not a good selection parameter for most things as optimising too heavily for that reduces performance elsewhere. Its the balance that matters. Realistically no one is going to hang a couple of tons (ish) off a square inch of adhesive joint so the difference between 5,000 psi and 4,000 psi is generally moot. What is more important is that the joint is able to follow load fluctuations across it without producing stressing concentrations in the adhesive which, if excessive, will quickly break it. Pure adhesives are brittle.

Comparing adhesive joints to weld is unfair. Good adhesive design is all about passing the load through a decent area. Which is why end of joint loading concentrations and an adhesive of limited peel strength are a nightmare combination. The joint just unzips at well below its theoretical load.

Theoretically a perfect weld with matched filler need only be the cross section of the joined material to carry the same load. So the area is tiny in comparison to and adhesive joint. Real welds are larger but not that much larger.

Clive

Ramon Wilson18/11/2022 23:02:13
1655 forum posts
617 photos

Well each to his own John, though being sceptical (even to a degree) is one thing, being dismissive without trying is another.

I think I've done enough with JBW to know that I don't need a TIG welder for the uses I have put it to in the field of model engineering. It's not the amount used but the application of it that counts. The comparison between a full size boat and a cylinder head for a Double Ten for instance is, I'm sure you would agree, quite considerable.

I'm a firm believer in not knocking something unless you've tried it - if you don't try you don't find out that's for sure but I'm well confident in it's strength for the applications I have used and advocated it for to date.

I can well imagine the heat required and potential for distortion, not to mention the clean up required had this lot been silver soldered - can you actually TIG weld cast iron BTW?

marine compound (44).jpg

marine compound (50).jpg

marine compound (51).jpg

As always it's down to the individual to make their own minds up but I know where I stand where this product is concerned

Regards - Tug

bernard towers19/11/2022 20:10:59
1221 forum posts
161 photos

Like Tug been using JB for some years but have been trying Araldite metal for about 6 months and am quite impressed. Drills and taps well.

JasonB19/11/2022 20:25:54
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

Bernard, is that Araldite metal or Araldite steel as I can't see a metal one. If the steel then they say it is only good for 100deg C so may not be so good for engines being run on steam

Pete Rimmer19/11/2022 20:37:44
1486 forum posts
105 photos

If you want a super storng epoxy get some Araldite 2013. It's not metal filled (but then how many of those listed above are?) but it's got more grip than a Scotsman. I have just glued a tyre onto an elecric pallet truck wheel after finding out the supplier has them on back-order and it's been pulling 1.5ton loads about all week.

I got recommended to it by Brian Caddy as the best stuff to fix way liner (Turcite, Rulon etc) onto gib strips and ways. I had tried ordinary araldite and it just peeled off like a sticker.

Andy_G19/11/2022 21:08:58
260 forum posts

For a cheap(ish) epoxy with decent temperature resistance, have a look at UHU Endest 300 - the datasheet gives alternative mixing ratios / cure schedules that can be used to tailor the properties to the application.

With a 100:50 (weight/weight) mixing ratio and a 100 or 180°C cure, it has good strength up to 120°C and reasonable strength to 140°C.

Datasheet:

https://media2.supermagnete.de/docs/uhu_plus_endfest_300_eng.pdf

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate