Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Another EVRI calamity.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
old mart10/11/2022 19:17:07
4655 forum posts
304 photos

I popped back home at lunchtime from the museum and found an empty packet inside the front door. Later when checking my ebay for some items in the post that had tracking, I saw that one had been marked as delivered and remembered the empty plastic bag. Also checking my emails, ebay had announced that EVRI had made a delivery about ten minutes before I got back to the house. The empty bag was the delivery. What I had ordered was 6 thermostatic radiator heads, the ones in the house may date back to the 70's and certainly didn't work other than on or off. The ebay listing helpfully showed all the dimensions, 70mm tall and 50mm diameter, each head, and the letterbox aperture is 42mm high. I am now in touch with the seller and have sent them photos of the bag and its labels.

Ady110/11/2022 19:24:29
6137 forum posts
893 photos

reminded me...

**LINK**

Ian McVickers10/11/2022 19:24:41
261 forum posts
117 photos

Sent a parcel by Evri on Saturday and it arrived at its destination on Monday without issues. On the other hand Tuffnells left 2.5K worth of ESS kit lying on my doorstep on Monday morning at 9-45AM. Lucky for me it was still there when my daughter arrived home from school. I wonder how that would have went if it had disappeared?

Jon Gibbs10/11/2022 19:31:21
750 forum posts

That sounds remarkably familiar.

I ordered a set of carbide threading inserts and a holder from China, all for the bargain price of £11 including postage - crucially under the £15 import duty threshold. The jiffy bag, complete with a gaping hole, made it all the way from China into my postbox, but Evri still registered it as delivered - the courier can't have failed to notice the envelope was empty.

The bay seller was extremely good about it though. I sent them a photo of the envelope in a message, explained what had happened and asked them to please resend the item in better packaging. They were very obliging and I received the replacement two days ago, in a plastic rather than a paper envelope. It earned them a flawless review, naturally.

As for Evri...

old mart10/11/2022 19:40:52
4655 forum posts
304 photos

At the same time, when I was out I recieved a text saying that a very much more expensive computer component was going to be delivered by DHL. That got me worried after realising something was amiss when my neighbor appeared with it, I had missed the second text saying where it had been delivered.

I have always had no problems taking my rubbish home, or using a bin if there is one.

I will give the seller a chance to sort things out before taking the matter to ebay. I have used ebay for 15 years with at least 99.9% satisfaction.

Edited By old mart on 10/11/2022 19:44:25

Jelly10/11/2022 20:05:39
474 forum posts
103 photos

I can honestly say that I've never had a problem with EVRI/Hermes... Although I will credit that it helps greatly that the woman who covers deliveries for our area for EVRI lives three doors up from me, and will tend to drop stuff off to our group of houses at the very end of her run, and just hold on to anything we can't accept until the evening.

DHL on the other hand have repeatedly given me the run around and made me drive 35 miles to pick up various small packages which they claim to have tried to deliver when I was in all day...

Never had issues with TNT, FedEx or ParcelForce/Royal Mail. In fact strikes notwithstanding, I have had better and faster service with stuff sent second class parcel post than I have with most couriers, so Royal Mail are still holding their own somehow.

Oldiron11/11/2022 09:26:07
1193 forum posts
59 photos
Posted by old mart on 10/11/2022 19:17:07:

I popped back home at lunchtime from the museum and found an empty packet inside the front door. Later when checking my ebay for some items in the post that had tracking, I saw that one had been marked as delivered and remembered the empty plastic bag. Also checking my emails, ebay had announced that EVRI had made a delivery about ten minutes before I got back to the house. The empty bag was the delivery. What I had ordered was 6 thermostatic radiator heads, the ones in the house may date back to the 70's and certainly didn't work other than on or off. The ebay listing helpfully showed all the dimensions, 70mm tall and 50mm diameter, each head, and the letterbox aperture is 42mm high. I am now in touch with the seller and have sent them photos of the bag and its labels.

I think I posted some time ago that I had had the same problem with that delivery company under a different name. ie:- Box too large for letter box, courier claimed it had been delivered through letter box. Never did get my money back even after many complaints. Now I have cctv in the front porch. I sent video footage to Amazon a few weeks ago when the courier claimed to have posted through letter box even though he could clearly be seen leaving the parcel outside and within a few feet of the footpath. We have no fence at the front so everything is open to theft if left outside. I was at home at the time and we have a loud doorbell which he claimed to have rung although the video told a different story. On that occasion I did retrieve the parcel ok. None of them seem to care very much these days.

regards

KWIL11/11/2022 09:44:50
3681 forum posts
70 photos

Interesting to note Hermes is the Largest Courier in the UK 700 Million parcels per year so I understand. The problem appears to be the last leg, ie those who deliver.

One of my parcels thay claimed they could not deliver, too big.(long) and submitted an extra invoice. I asked them to prove it by menas of a photograph (since they always use photos etc) They backed down!

Not only evri claim wrongly. "Handed to customer" seems a popular wording, never have. It's drop it and run to the next delivery.

Edited By KWIL on 11/11/2022 09:45:29

Howi11/11/2022 09:47:46
442 forum posts
19 photos
None of them seem to care very much these days.

regards

There you have it in a nutshell.

BUT can you blame them?

They are paid very little and have to deliver so many parcels in a shift, that there is little or no time for the niceties.

It is not the deliverers fault but the the business model the delivery companies use.

My own recent experience with DHL, ordered a watch from Germany, very fast delivery, item delivered 2.5 days after order placed, at 1430hrs. Unfortunately I was not in so they left it with a neighbour.

NO card to say delivery had been made or where parcel had been delivered to.

The only reason I suspected a delivery was our door bell was stuck on when we got home.

It was not until 21.30hrs that the DHL website said my parcel had been delivered to number 16.

Normally I would rate DHL as one of the top delivery companies, not after this performance.

At least the post office leave a card!!!!!

I am sure we are going to hear more horror stories in the run up to Christmas.

Oldiron11/11/2022 09:52:58
1193 forum posts
59 photos
Posted by Howi on 11/11/2022 09:47:46:
None of them seem to care very much these days.

regards

There you have it in a nutshell.

I am sure we are going to hear more horror stories in the run up to Christmas.

I have already had all my Xmas orders fulfilled in anticipation of strikes,work overload lost parcels etc.

regards

Circlip11/11/2022 10:00:51
1723 forum posts

Deliveries are separated by an internal door and a radio so sometimes a knock on the door is not heard. When post office delivered a parcel recently by a very light knocking method, I was lucky to hear it. Got to the door and informed deliverer than I couldn't always hear a knock nut the bell never failed.

"Oh yes, I've just seen it"

Must admit, it's hard to spot a black push button assembly on a white UPVC door frame.

Although a Tracked delivery I was surprised not to have to sign for the £10k package. I did receive, within seconds of delivery, an e-mail telling me it had been delivered.

Regards Ian.

Edited By Circlip on 11/11/2022 10:01:40

Mike Poole11/11/2022 11:29:04
3676 forum posts
82 photos

Pete is our Evri man and does a great job, if he is on holiday there are usually a few mis deliveries but the power of the village Facebook page often seems to unite the package with the correct recipients. One of the problems is that we are having 2 new building developments tacked onto the village but sat navs and postcodes don’t seem to get updated until some time after people have moved in, Pete is up to speed on where the new addresses are but some of the other carriers are totally lost as they are not local.

Mike

Martin Connelly11/11/2022 11:39:55
2549 forum posts
235 photos

I had a parcel delivered by Evri. Inside my complete, sealed, plastic posting envelope delivery was a further plastic posting envelope that was addressed to someone else with enough details to identify that the missing item was a small and reasonably expensive piece of jewellery. I contacted the Evri courier who came to collect the evidence and said that this happened frequently. Someone in a packing department pinches the small and valuable item and hides the packaging in another bag to get rid of the evidence. The item shows up as posted in the supplier's system but it goes missing further along the line with the couriers often getting the blame. I think the evidence is passed back to the original supplier to inform them that it is occurring at their premises.

Martin C

Robert Atkinson 211/11/2022 12:55:43
1891 forum posts
37 photos

I've had EVRI / Hermes try to charge me extra because a parcel was oversized. This was after they delivered it. The parcel was right on the size limit (I had photos but didn't tell them). I know they use laser or vision based automatic measurement that is not "approved for trade". I asked them for their evidence and they told me they would make an exception in this case. I recommend that anyone who has this type of charge attempt asks to see evidence.

Robert.

old mart11/11/2022 13:35:05
4655 forum posts
304 photos

I got a message from the seller offering to send a replacement and in my reply told them that I would be happy to help with any claim they made to EVRI. The local delivery man is not likely to be to blame, some packages are very small.

duncan webster11/11/2022 13:56:45
5307 forum posts
83 photos

Part of the problem could be unnecessary duplication. I have seen 2 Amazon vans up our road at the same time, as well as EVRI, DHL, Post Office and uncle Tom Cobley. Wouldn't it be more efficient to have one delivery per day, after all no-one actually needs to have a single pack of nappies on same day delivery (UK TV advert), just get your act together people, then we'd have fewer van miles if nothing else

Edited By duncan webster on 11/11/2022 13:57:06

Michael Gilligan14/11/2022 10:45:08
23121 forum posts
1360 photos

I am still waiting for a small parcel, estimated delivery was 10-Nov

… Have just checked the detailed tracking at INPOST

**LINK**

https://inpost.co.uk/tracking/

This is all very clever; but is it progress ?

MichaelG.

b244ae4b-d7cf-4776-8e08-60e331f3229a.jpeg

Rockingdodge14/11/2022 11:06:11
396 forum posts
111 photos

I purchased an air fryer online from the brands' website last weekend, I was notified by EVRI that they had the parcel on Monday and gave the tracking number, at 09:48 a message appeared on their tracking stating there was a delay and it would be delivered asapp, it got delivered on Friday!

Our delivery man explained the reason, the delivery of air fryers had been locked in the secure area until the manager came back off holiday as there had been a spate of air fryers going missing, early xmas presents from the warehouse staff maybe?

Roger

Edited By Rockingdodge on 14/11/2022 11:07:29

Mike Poole14/11/2022 11:48:37
3676 forum posts
82 photos

Being a somewhat cynical bloke I have often thought “lost in the post” was a euphemism for stolen by the postman, of course the vast majority of posties and carrier personnel are honest as the day is long but you can guarantee that there a some crooks in any organisation. I think they get caught in the end as large mail users track the postcodes where claims for non delivery are abnormally high so action can be taken. It is a credit to the postal service that they regularly deliver the undeliverable with addresses like the house with a green door and two oak trees in Oxford.

Mike

Ramon Wilson14/11/2022 11:50:07
1655 forum posts
617 photos

This is all very clever; but is it progress ?

MichaelG

Well depends on how you see progress Michael but I'd say it's a lot better than someone telling you "It's in the post" when it clearly isn't.

Have to say I've had no issues with any of the delivery companies inbound or out over many many transactions but can recall a certain Veron Vertex R/C glider kit that had allegedly been sent when it hadn't - way before Internet buying but lie after lie passed this way before it was finally resolved.

It was finally 'found' about 6-8 weeks later in the "local post office lurking behind some bench". Strangely enough the shop took it back to the shop, re wrapped it and then reposted it according to the date mark. ??? Yeah, lost alright!

Best - Tug

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate