Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

UK State Pension

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Andrew Johnston26/09/2022 08:15:46
7061 forum posts
719 photos

I have just been invited to apply for my UK state pension. sad

When I log into HMRC I get an estimated value, which is almost, but not quite, the full basic pension. However there is a note to say I was contracted out (which I was) and it gives an estimated COPS equivalent value. It clearly states that the estimated COPS value does not affect the quoted pension estimate. As I understand it means that I am not entitled to any additional state pension. It used to be called SERPS, I think?

I have talked to a government pension service and they tell me that the headline estimated pension is what I will get. But my brother, and neighbour, are convinced that the value is reduced by the COPS estimate.

Does anyone know for definite, and ideally by experience, if the headline estimated basic state pension is what you get, having been contracted out?

Andrew

Edited By Andrew Johnston on 26/09/2022 08:16:26

Stuart Smith 526/09/2022 08:43:37
349 forum posts
61 photos

Andrew

I have recently applied for my pension. I got an estimate a few months ago and I am pretty sure my actual pension is the same as the estimate. I was in a contracted out company pension. I am away from home but will double check later.

Stuart

Nicholas Farr26/09/2022 08:55:43
3988 forum posts
1799 photos

Hi Andrew, when I got mine four years ago, it was just as they stated, and I was contracted out in a company pension for the majority of my working life.

Regards Nick.

Mike Hurley26/09/2022 09:22:19
530 forum posts
89 photos

If you will be receiving additional pension amounts from private pensions, you will probably find the tax situation can take a bit of time to 'settle down', but generally the state pension estimate should be on target, and yes it's unlikely (but not impossible) that you would get any 'top up' on the basic amount.

If you do have several additional private pensions, definately worth speaking to a properly accredited financial advisor (beware of sharks and excessive fees though) even with modest amounts can make life much easier in the long run.

All the best

Nick Clarke 326/09/2022 10:16:03
1607 forum posts
69 photos

The new state pension which applies to anyone born after 1951 does not consist of basic and additional parts so the starting value is what you will get already taking into account your contracted out time.

I retired 12 months ago and my new state pension, like yours is fractionally less than the full amount. My tax allowance is applied to this and so I don't pay tax on it while any allowance left over is applied to my teachers pension after which I pay tax.

The advice to consult a qualified Financial Advisor is sound, but for an overview the .gov,uk website explains it quite well.

One final point is that your state pension is not paid monthly, but every 4 weeks on a day of the week depending upon your national insurance number so one month in the year you will get two payments, one at the start and one at the end of the month.

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 26/09/2022 10:19:00

John Beresford26/09/2022 10:30:25
25 forum posts
11 photos

My wife and I both retired early and we last year looked on the hmrc website to get a state pension estimate which was of course less than the standard amount because of our shortfall in NICs. It should say on the same page what the shortfall in NICs is if you want to get the full state pension amount. Theres another page showing your annual year by year contributions and any shortfalls. You can then opt to voluntarily pay the shortfall in order to bring your contributions up to the required amount in order to guarantee you'll get the full pension.

Peter G. Shaw26/09/2022 10:39:15
1531 forum posts
44 photos

Hello,

I worked for 35 years and paid a reduced rate of NI. This was because the works pension guaranteed a minimum pension.

Aftet taking early retirement, I firstly had to pay Class 2 (I think it was) NI for those years when I was working as self-employed and not earning a great deal, and towards the end I also opted to pay one or more lump sum(s) to account for those years I hadn't paid for. During my last year before drawing my state pension, I did obtain a quote of what my state pension would be and this was low (by 1/45th I think). It turned out that the quote did not take into account that I was still paying NI in my last year, and sure enough, my state pension was exactly as expected.

In my wife's case, she has never, or almost never, worked in paying employment and instead gained credits for having children. This did not give a full entitlement and so she had to pay for, if memory serves me correctly, four out of six years. Needless to say, she paid the four cheapest years. She eventually received the full state retirement pension plus a few pennies from whatever it was called (graduated state pension perhaps?) earned in her early years.

So yes, we did receive the full amounts expected albeit with a few catching up payments for missed years. I should point out that we have been receiving state pensions for 14 years (me) and 11 years (boss lady) and hence our state pensions are the older versions and hence somewhat less than the new version.

(Which means that I should be receiving an extra 25p pw as from July next year. Oh frabjous day!)

Hope this helps. And enjoy it Andrew.

Peter G. Shaw

Edited for spelling mistakes.

Edited By Peter G. Shaw on 26/09/2022 10:43:11

DMB26/09/2022 10:54:29
1585 forum posts
1 photos

I think that the system is one chaotic mess with bits and pieces of extra bits added on by different governments over the years, e.g., Graduated Pension, etc. You either pay in to company pension or not if you're lucky enough to work for an employer who supplies a non-contrutory scheme. Maybe index linked or get a choice of that or take big lump sum and run, with reduced remainder. Now the civil service steps in, I think, 'jobs for the boys.' Contracted out, reduced NI but they bugger about clawing it back from the pension when in payout. All the fiddling about creates work for the unionised Civil Servants. Oh! to have a decent level of flat payment on a flat 5% (say) annual increase with only one simple deviation of half (say) if you haven't paid in for half your working life. So much simpler and everyone would know exactly where they stand. Of course that would bring out the whingers in force, claiming some sort of 'unfairness.' 2 sizes will fit nearly all, take it or leave it. Bear in mind that it's about the lousiest retirement pension in Europe. And we get ripped off with higher prices for everything compared with most other countries, because this is 'Treasure Island' for big business.

Edited By DMB on 26/09/2022 10:57:24

Dave Halford26/09/2022 11:32:39
2536 forum posts
24 photos

This is more for the girls really.

You are not forced to claim your state pension, every year it's not claimed is an extra 5.8%, roughly an extra tenner a week when you do.

Leave it 10 years and the lump sum is significant, though taxed.

Please be aware that financial advisers are there to sell you product.

Henry Brown26/09/2022 11:33:21
618 forum posts
122 photos
Posted by John Beresford on 26/09/2022 10:30:25:

My wife and I both retired early and we last year looked on the hmrc website to get a state pension estimate which was of course less than the standard amount because of our shortfall in NICs. It should say on the same page what the shortfall in NICs is if you want to get the full state pension amount. Theres another page showing your annual year by year contributions and any shortfalls. You can then opt to voluntarily pay the shortfall in order to bring your contributions up to the required amount in order to guarantee you'll get the full pension.

This is exactly what I did as I retired early.

As I understand it to get the full pension you have to pay an amount that covers the last three years NI that you would have paid if you had worked until your government official age irrespective of how many years NI you have paid.

I assumed that as I had well over 30 years NI I would get the full pension, as a lot of people assume (the government changed the rules and slipped them in quietly), a couple of calls to the pensions office advisors put me right. Of course it's a gamble if you will live long enough to get the extra payments back but I don't intend to fall off the perch yet so I paid the three sums yearly just before the end of each tax year prior to retirement.

John Beresford26/09/2022 12:07:11
25 forum posts
11 photos

Thats right Henry but you also have a time limit of 6 years from your retirement date ie when you stopped paying NI to pay any top up. We've advised a few of our friends to check up on their NI/ state pension status as many were totally unaware there would be a shortfall when they'd reduced their hours or thought of retiring early.

Mark Rand26/09/2022 12:44:28
1505 forum posts
56 photos

I'm a bit confused by the above. I took VR at 58 at the end of 2016, but I've got 42 full years of full contributions. Even if I paid for the empty years between 2017 and next year, it would make no difference to my pension.

Adam Mara26/09/2022 12:46:32
198 forum posts
1 photos

My old man always said the pension money would run out one day and insisted I had a private pension and paid any extra into any state enhancements. Was also lucky in having a good accountants to advise me over the years.

I worked from 16 to 65, so got the full state pension plus the added extras, which now pay me an extra £114 a week, well worth having in these very difficult times. Incidentally, i get my pension paid weekly, something they keep a bit quiet about.

Mike Poole26/09/2022 12:52:19
3676 forum posts
82 photos

Everybody’s pension is going to be governed by their work, pension and national insurance history. I worked for one employer all my working life and was contracted out for many years. After 44 years of work I retired at 60, this left me with a national insurance shortfall of 5 years, from 2016 until this year. My pension could be improved by £5.29 per week for each missing year I paid for at the rate of roughly £800 pounds a year for each missing year. As my state pension will be all taxed by altering my tax code applied to my work pension I calculated it would take about 3 years and 9 months to break even. After repaying the £4000 to myself I would be £1000 a year better off with the state pension. The only catch is that I need to live until I am nearly 70 or I lose my investment. This set of circumstances is my story with my particular pension history. I spoke to the DWP to establish that filling the years I had missing would benefit me and they assured me it would, they gave me the number to ring and the key words to negotiate the voice recognition options on the HMRC number, they provide you with an 18 digit number and how to pay details and amazingly it seems like it has worked. It seems that paying a pre 2016 shortfall may not improve your pension so beware. I think giving advice on pensions is covered by a regulatory body and it would be wise to talk to a qualified practitioner. The DWP should know their job as they are responsible for the state pension but that might be rather an optimistic hope, nevertheless that must be the place to start. On the government pension page I had three figures quoted, the first was my pension earned so far, the second if I payed NI contributions this year and the third was the figure if I payed the missing years. Remember we are just blokes down the pub and take what is said with a pinch of salt although many valid points will be raised I would take it as useful background rather than hard facts.

Mike

Martin Kyte26/09/2022 13:44:57
3445 forum posts
62 photos

Regarding NI contributions for Full Basic State Pension.

Qualifying for the full amount

You usually need a total of 30 qualifying years of National Insurance contributions or credits to get the full basic State Pension.

If you have fewer than 30 qualifying years, your basic State Pension will be less than £141.85 per week. You might be able to increase the amount you get by paying voluntary national insurance contributions.

Check your National Insurance record to find out how many qualifying years you have.

You are eligible for the old Basic Sate Pension if born before April 6 1951 which I take it Andrew is as he is now about to claim.

The .GOV site doesn't say anything about the last few years just that you need 30 in total. The New State Pension may be different I didn't look.

regards Martin

Edited By Martin Kyte on 26/09/2022 13:45:29

Mike Poole26/09/2022 14:41:50
3676 forum posts
82 photos

The new state pension requires 35 qualifying years to collect £185.15 per week, I had 45 years of full contributions but the kicker is that I was contracted out for many years. After topping up my years I now have 50 years of full contributions but the contracted out years mean I still fall short of the £185.15. There is a hell of a lot to working out your pension entitlement even if you have been on PAYE all your life, self employment is another can of worms.

Mike

Bazyle26/09/2022 14:44:24
6956 forum posts
229 photos

Only need to work for 30 years !!! now I'm feeling hard done by after 45 working years. sad

Mike Poole26/09/2022 15:12:12
3676 forum posts
82 photos

According to the song “only fools and horses work”

Mike

Stuart Smith 526/09/2022 15:36:43
349 forum posts
61 photos

Andrew

I have sent you a PM.

Re my earlier post, my pension will be as my pension forecast based on my NI contributions to when I stopped working . This was on the pension forecast but is less than the headline figure.

Stuart

Colin Heseltine26/09/2022 16:07:27
744 forum posts
375 photos

Andrew,

I started taking my state pension in 2016, 1 had put it off for one year.

I get:

Basic State Pension

Plus Pre 97 additional State Pension

Plus Post 97 additional State Pension

Plus Graduated Retirement Benefit.

The Pre 97 additional State Pension is reduced by the Contracted Out Deduction (COD) which in my case was £64.28.

I worked for British Coal and so had their Pension as well

Colin

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate