By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

MEW 319 - Roofing A Shed??????

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Peter Bryce18/08/2022 15:39:30
5 forum posts

MEW 319 dropped through the letterbox today.

7 FULL PAGES, including photographs of roofing a tiny shed, 2 FULL PAGES (with no actual content) with a nod to vehicle customisation and 5 FULL PAGES about the London Science Museum?

I subscribe to MEW for engineering related content, not basic DIY, car maintenance or tourist information!

Surely the editorial team cannot be so hard pushed for content that they have to resort to this type of non-original content that is readily available in other (specific) magazines?

Possibly next month you can have 7 pages devoted to weeding the garden or at least devote half a dozen full pages to making a cup of tea?

I'm sure I'm not alone in being shocked by this issue and I pay for a subscription to expect to see articles on using lathes, mills etc to actually make some components or at the very least, have some relation to actual model (or other) engineering?

This was a dreadful issue and I'm sure you knew it when publishing!

Peter

JasonB18/08/2022 15:51:22
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

Maybe it's moving towards a new title "Model Engineers' tearoom" devil

Iain Hogg18/08/2022 16:08:50
13 forum posts

I have to agree, the lack of appropriate content in this months issue was shocking.

Maybe, we'll get the "tarting up" an old trailer article from a few months back republished as there seems to be no effort being made for original content anymore.

I'm sure I'm not alone at this stage in considering the future of my subscription.

Usually, with the recent lack of relevant content, I could console myself with the full page advert for Home And Workshop Machinery on the rear cover - but even that was missing this month!

Iain

Nick Wheeler18/08/2022 16:23:45
1227 forum posts
101 photos

But the shed in question is a workshop which is a major part of the magazine's title!

For those of us who don't buy Shed Maintenance Monthly, or avoid doing woodwork wherever possible, it was a potentially useful article - I wouldn't have considered the problems the author had with the corners.

Much the same applies to the museum visit, MEW has published them infrequently before.

It can't all be about creating fiddly gadgets to build toy trains....

Peter Bryce18/08/2022 16:40:06
5 forum posts
Posted by Nicholas Wheeler 1 on 18/08/2022 16:23:45:

But the shed in question is a workshop which is a major part of the magazine's title!

Nonsense - using your logic, why not 7 pages on London Fashion Week?

Because let's face it, the designs are worn by a "model" which is a major part of the magazine's title!

Peter

Iain Hogg18/08/2022 16:45:49
13 forum posts
Posted by Peter Bryce on 18/08/2022 16:40:06:

Nonsense - using your logic, why not 7 pages on London Fashion Week?

Because let's face it, the designs are worn by a "model" which is a major part of the magazine's title!

Peter

Touché!

And let's face it, the Fashion Week article would be a bit more interesting!

SillyOldDuffer18/08/2022 16:48:40
10668 forum posts
2415 photos

So much depends on the eye of the beholder! The roof of my Garden Shed needs replacing and I'm into 3D printing. Don't intend to do any scraping, but always useful to know about tools and techniques. Although I'm unlikely to adapt a Shell Arbour, modify a chain, CNC any gears, or tension a band-saw properly I always read such articles to see how its done, and often pick up good ideas. Rewinding motors scores with me and I'm deep into the Free Pendulum clock. Vehicle work isn't my thing, but I have a go sometimes. Haven't been to the Science Museum in since 1970, and really should!

For me this issue was a good mix, which is usually the case perhaps because I have wide interests. Been taking MEW for several years and don't recall any I thought were a waste of money. Every so often an issue arrives which ticks all my boxes, whoohoo. I find Model Engineer more variable, but that's because it covers Model making, which isn't my thing. Still worth buying though. Tried Engineering in Miniature several times without enthusiasm: pretty sure it's because they focus on aspects of the hobby I don't care about. Me rather than them.

The ads are useful too. Ordered a copy of 'The Secret Horsepower Race' a couple of weeks ago without realising it's a Morton's book. Fortunately only cost slightly more than their offer price, or I'd have been miffed!!!

Book recommended if you want to know about high-performance piston aero-engines, how difficult they are to design and debug, and the importance of fuel chemistry. Octane numbers are rubbish!

Many of know the story of Miss Shilling's Orifice but how about the BMW Kommanogerat? It's a mechanical Engine Management Unit, made years before electronic versions were cheap enough to put in cars. Has anyone ever modelled one?

kommandogerat.jpg

Dave

Harry Wilkes18/08/2022 16:51:21
1613 forum posts
72 photos

I don't subscribe as longer so maybe I should not comment but I'm afraid this is the way thing are going companies want your money but don't want to give you a lot for it an example would be on of our TV stations sad

H

Ady118/08/2022 17:05:13
6137 forum posts
893 photos
Posted by JasonB on 18/08/2022 15:51:22:

Maybe it's moving towards a new title "Model Engineers' tearoom" devil

That went right through me like a lance laugh

Stuart Smith 518/08/2022 17:35:34
349 forum posts
61 photos

I am another wondering why we had a long winded article about a rubber roof. Anyone wishing to do this can find all the info they need on the internet. Also the 2 pages on car restoration which didn’t even tell you anything.

jimmy b18/08/2022 17:43:31
857 forum posts
45 photos

As I now use Readly, I'll not complain too much about the content.

Jim

Martin Kyte18/08/2022 17:49:51
3445 forum posts
62 photos

I have to admit the shed article did little for me, however there was Bevel gears, a free pendulum clock, making a shell mill arbor, a rotary riveting thing, rewinding a motor, a bandsaw tension meter with a nice bit about blueing. When all is said and done it's us that generates the content and I'm more likely to re-roof a shed than rewind a motor.

Stop moaning and write an interesting article.

regards Martin

KWIL18/08/2022 17:50:29
3681 forum posts
70 photos

I have ALL issues since No 1 and must agree that this is the worst ever.

Pity the Science Museum ( was once asked to leave as they wanted to close!) Photos had not been Photo shopped to impove viewability.

David Senior18/08/2022 17:51:54
30 forum posts
8 photos

I have every issue of MEW, I subscribe (and I've even written an article many years ago).

Those articles are likely the ones I will read FIRST (OK, maybe not the car restoration one). I prefer items that are 'different' - maybe because I have been a subscriber for so long.

I accept that I am not going to be so interested in all the articles but there is always enough to keep me interested generally.

Keep up the good work Neil

Dave

William Hepburn18/08/2022 18:10:13
3 forum posts
Posted by Martin Kyte on 18/08/2022 17:49:51:

I have to admit the shed article did little for me

Problem was it was a full 7 pages about a small shed roof that could have been covered with 50 words (or probably much less) and a single photo in the "letters" page.

No point whatsoever having the 2 pages wasted on "car customisation" that had zero content - quite obviously filler material.

Science Museum is a brilliant resource but much more information is available elsewhere - and more comprehensively with better images.

It can't all be about creating fiddly gadgets to build toy trains....

The editorial team seem to have been struggling for relevant content the past year (I also could not believe the "tidy up a trailer" article) but the fact remains that subscribers want "model engineering" articles and items made by "model engineers".

lee webster18/08/2022 18:17:00
383 forum posts
71 photos

I couldn't find a parking spot near Smiths, so couldn't have a look at the latest issue. But mention restoring a car and you have me where you want me. I will try harder to find a parking spot!

noel shelley18/08/2022 18:25:35
2308 forum posts
33 photos

Issue 300 was the one that did it for me ! I allowed my subscription to lapse ! As making tea has been mentioned may be an article on the construction of a Windermere kettle might be a good starting point ? Noel.

Iain Hogg18/08/2022 18:30:10
13 forum posts
Posted by lee webster on 18/08/2022 18:17:00:

mention restoring a car and you have me where you want me.

You might be a bit dissappointed Lee - as all the 2 pages do is mention it!

There's no actual content about restoring a car!

All it says is that you might need various tools, which anyone who actually restores cars will already have!

Posted by jimmy b on 18/08/2022 17:43:31:

Is MEW available on Readly now?

Iain

JasonB18/08/2022 18:36:59
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles
Posted by noel shelley on 18/08/2022 18:25:35:

As making tea has been mentioned may be an article on the construction of a Windermere kettle might be a good starting point ? Noel.

There was one in ME so could be reprintedwink 2

I kind of feel the clock and museum articles are more the usual ME type content rather than MEW.

jimmy b18/08/2022 18:37:49
857 forum posts
45 photos
Posted by Iain Hogg on 18/08/2022 18:30:10:
Posted by lee webster on 18/08/2022 18:17:00:

mention restoring a car and you have me where you want me.

You might be a bit dissappointed Lee - as all the 2 pages do is mention it!

There's no actual content about restoring a car!

All it says is that you might need various tools, which anyone who actually restores cars will already have!

Posted by jimmy b on 18/08/2022 17:43:31:

Is MEW available on Readly now?

Iain

Model Engineers Workshop, Model Engineer and Engineering in Minianture are all on Readly.

Only down side is having to wait for a few days for them to appear.

Jim

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate