By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for William Hepburn

Here is a list of all the postings William Hepburn has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: MEW 319 - Roofing A Shed??????
18/08/2022 18:10:13
Posted by Martin Kyte on 18/08/2022 17:49:51:

I have to admit the shed article did little for me

Problem was it was a full 7 pages about a small shed roof that could have been covered with 50 words (or probably much less) and a single photo in the "letters" page.

No point whatsoever having the 2 pages wasted on "car customisation" that had zero content - quite obviously filler material.

Science Museum is a brilliant resource but much more information is available elsewhere - and more comprehensively with better images.

Posted by Nicholas Wheeler 1 on 18/08/2022 16:23:45:

It can't all be about creating fiddly gadgets to build toy trains....

The editorial team seem to have been struggling for relevant content the past year (I also could not believe the "tidy up a trailer" article) but the fact remains that subscribers want "model engineering" articles and items made by "model engineers".

Thread: Warco WM 16 VS woes
30/07/2022 14:04:31
Posted by mechman48 on 13/11/2019 17:49:03:

Some owners have replaced the gear system with a belt drive set up which will eliminate the problem altogether giving any 'jam ups' the opportunity for 'belt slip'. IIRC there is a USA site that has the material to do this …'Grizzly' & if I remember there was a write up to do this on their version... Grizzly 0704 I believe, have a look see. I have considered doing this mod with mine but as the old engineering cliché goes... 'if it aint broke don't fix it ' so...

I have now done away with the plastic gears altogether in my WM16 and installed the "belt conversion" designed for the G704.

Benefits are twofold - cooling is now not a problem as the motor is now left exposed (instead of cooped up in the cover) and if anything jams, the gears are not stripped. However, the underpowered 750w motor of the WM16 stalls long before the belt can slip. There is a 1100w motor available that can be substituted so when the 750w goes, so I'll be looking at that as a replacement.

The only slight niggles are that the drawbar is no longer self-releasing (due to the new belt drive spindle) and as the problematic hi/lo gear is no longer used, the speed change is now by changing the belt between two different sized pulleys. Not major hassles by any means.

Expensive conversion though (£600ish) and if I hadn't already spent time and money upgrading the WM16 I would probably have just bought an alternative mill.

Edited By William Hepburn on 30/07/2022 14:05:09

Edited By William Hepburn on 30/07/2022 14:06:07

Thread: Warco WM 16 motor
07/11/2021 19:53:40
Posted by JasonB on 07/11/2021 18:27:09:

As you said in another post you had stripped 4 gears in 12months I wonder if you may also be taking too heavy a cut with a hobby machine.

By installing upgraded gears you have removed the weakest link from the train, now you don't have a sacrificial gear to protect the motor from overload.

The nylon gears are still sacrificial gears and are still the "weakest link" in the drive train.

As many users of these machines will testify, it doesn't take much to strip the stock plastic gears. Like Iain, I was stripping gears regularly until I "upgraded" to nylon - usually during flycutting operations.

These Warco (and all the other variations of this machine) mills have a plastic hi/lo gear as well as a plastic drive gear, meaning that there are two "weak links" in the drive train - which is overkill and more to do with cost cutting than protection.

There's no need for the hi/lo gear to be plastic (or even nylon) and I use a brass hi/lo gear as the nylon drive gear will still "fail" first if required.

The nylon gears are used by a great number of users of these machines and they still allow more "sacrificial" safety than is necessary, as although stronger (and less likely to melt) than the soft grey delrin (or similar) gears installed in the machine, they will still "fail" when necessary.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate