By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Looting

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Michael Cooper 518/03/2022 22:28:43
16 forum posts

When I was an apprentice we used a type of black putty that we moulded onto our machine tools making little dams etc to guide any wayward coolant back to the suds tray.I think it was called “looting”.Does anyone know if it still exists or if there’s a modern equivalent.Thanks

Robin Graham18/03/2022 22:58:52
1089 forum posts
345 photos

Don't know what it was, but you may have more success searching on 'luting' rather than 'looting'. Lute is a term for cement, sealant etc I think.

Robin.

Edited By Robin Graham on 18/03/2022 22:59:53

Roderick Jenkins18/03/2022 23:03:38
2376 forum posts
800 photos

I suspect it was spelt "luting". Seems to be mostly a dental term these days but relates to puttys and cements so could have been one of those old school pre-silicone mastics.

Rod

Edit:  Too slow yet again

Edited By Roderick Jenkins on 18/03/2022 23:04:44

Michael Cooper 518/03/2022 23:04:22
16 forum posts

Thanks Robin,that makes a lot of sense.Learnt more on this site in 24 hrs than I have in last 10 years.Thanks again 👍

Michael Cooper 518/03/2022 23:12:50
16 forum posts

Thanks Rod. I used this in MoD workshops in the 80’s so it could have been from any era knowing their stores.Thanks for the heads up about luting, I never new the word existed till now.

Alan Charleston19/03/2022 05:05:10
157 forum posts
26 photos

Hi Michael,

My 1916 copy of Machinery's Handbook has a section on Lutes and Cements. They are variously described as water-proof, oil-proof,acid-proof and chlorine-proof. A general purpose lute recipe is:

"Plaster of paris, especially when mixed with asbestos, straw, flush trimmings, hair , broken stone etc."

The problem these days of course is the flush trimmings - you can't get them for love or money.

Regards,

Alan C.

jimmy b19/03/2022 06:05:40
857 forum posts
45 photos

I use plasticine for these.

Also good as a "damper" on long thin boring bars.

Jim

Brian G19/03/2022 07:06:37
912 forum posts
40 photos

The term goes back a long way, Joseph Priestley invented a new lute that wouldn't contaminate his experiments on gases, and on one occasion noted that so much gas was produced that it broke his lute.

Brian G

Clive Hartland19/03/2022 07:55:03
2929 forum posts
41 photos

Luting, a soft pliable sealer. Used in Instruments to seal threads and as a gasket on flat serfaces like binocular end plates.

it was found that some minute insects would bore into it, due to the fact it had bees wax component. Soon overtaken by soft pliable plastic seals.

As an aside many optical instruments that are sealed now have Nitrogen filling as it is inert and stops condensation.

Roderick Jenkins19/03/2022 09:05:27
2376 forum posts
800 photos

I interesting word, lute. As well as the meaning we are discussing it is also a musica! Instrument and a u shaped tube fi!led with liquid used as a pressure relief valve. None of which seem connected to each other.

Rod

Neil Wyatt19/03/2022 09:21:06
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles

The musical instrument comes from the Arabic 'al 0ud'.

We still call makers of plucked instruments 'luthiers'.

Henry Brown19/03/2022 09:35:33
618 forum posts
122 photos

I think we used Plasicene! It soon went black when it had some cast iron dust in it, it was also used for sticky pins etc.

Roderick Jenkins19/03/2022 10:34:22
2376 forum posts
800 photos

Having been only a signed chit away from a MOD stores for most of my career, one of the materials we used to use was Apiezon Q compound - a black putty suitable for use in vacuum systems. I guess this could have been (mis) appropriated by the machinists. It was probably quite expensive but we would never know that.

Rod

Michael Cooper 519/03/2022 10:47:52
16 forum posts
Posted by Roderick Jenkins on 19/03/2022 10:34:22:

Having been only a signed chit away from a MOD stores for most of my career, one of the materials we used to use was Apiezon Q compound - a black putty suitable for use in vacuum systems. I guess this could have been (mis) appropriated by the machinists. It was probably quite expensive but we would never know that.

Rod

Thanks Rod,maybe that’s what it was.Wouldn’t have been the only thing misappropriated by MoD apprentices. The beauty of cost-codes.

Georgineer19/03/2022 12:39:45
652 forum posts
33 photos

It sounds like the stuff my father used when he was a dockyard apprentice in the 1920s. They used to roll it into little balls and fire it at each other through bits of pipe. Apparently there was a neighbouring house with a roof window visible over the dockyard wall. When the window was open the challenge was to fire a pellet through the opening. Dad wondered if the occupants ever worked out where the little black pellets came from.

George

mark costello 120/03/2022 15:56:19
800 forum posts
16 photos

Do You still have oil filled glaziers putty used in sealing window glass to their frames? That is/was called glaziers putty over here. It is what We used to make coolant dams.

Mark Rand20/03/2022 16:06:15
1505 forum posts
56 photos

We still do, although PVC window frames and double/insulated glazing tend to be used with silicone rubbers.

I never realized that there was a word for the stuff that coolant dams are made with. I've got a couple of fairly significant plasticine ones on the surface grinder table. Some idiot (me) didn't get it properly leveled when grouting it into place. That'll be fixed if/when I get around to rebuilding it..

Mike Poole20/03/2022 16:19:20
3676 forum posts
82 photos
Posted by Georgineer on 19/03/2022 12:39:45:

It sounds like the stuff my father used when he was a dockyard apprentice in the 1920s. They used to roll it into little balls and fire it at each other through bits of pipe. Apparently there was a neighbouring house with a roof window visible over the dockyard wall. When the window was open the challenge was to fire a pellet through the opening. Dad wondered if the occupants ever worked out where the little black pellets came from.

George

The first electricians shack I worked in as an apprentice overlooked the lorry’s waiting to be unloaded into the press shop steel stores, one of the electricians had a Tufnol tube blowpipe and the production floor had a ready supply of mastic materials for ammunition, the drivers sat in their cabs waiting to be unloaded made an irresistible target.

Mike

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate