Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Jobs

Necessary?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Anthony Knights30/07/2020 17:30:15
681 forum posts
260 photos

If nothing else, the reported furloughing of certain jobs has pointed out how many jobs these days are not essential to the continuation of civilisation. Two spring to mind, the first being the people who make sandwiches ( at 4 or 5 times the actual cost) for people who are too idle to make their own before the leave home. The exorbadant cost is, I believe, due to the fact that they have to bin so many.

Nail Bars? Are people incapable of cutting and filing and if they desire painting their own fingernails?

Comments and suggestion are invited. In the mean time I will retire to my Nuclear Shelter.

Chris Evans 630/07/2020 17:39:51
2156 forum posts

I always made my own sandwiches to take to work (retired for 7 years now)

I could never see the point/use of nail bars until an ex magistrate friend of mine explained to me they where for money laundering. A legitimate business to the authorities but a cover for profits from growing cannabis and also for the proceeds of prostitution. Always wondered if there was any truth in what he told me.

jimmy b30/07/2020 17:48:47
857 forum posts
45 photos

Its a bit like those idiots that buy over priced metal and spend years making something that they don't need/won't use on a tiny lathe.

Live and let live.

Jim

larry phelan 130/07/2020 19:01:08
1346 forum posts
15 photos

Oh I do love the one who gets the dig-in

What,s that they say about a rose without thorns ?cheeky

John Baguley30/07/2020 19:17:37
517 forum posts
57 photos

I'm sure that a lot of people are going to find themselves out of a job when the businesses that employ them realise that they can manage perfectly well without them.

Former Member30/07/2020 19:34:36

[This posting has been removed]

Baz30/07/2020 19:46:49
1033 forum posts
2 photos
Posted by Phil McAvity on 30/07/2020 19:34:36:

Thankfully, hobby engineers don't run the economy. dont know

I think we could do a much better job, certainly couldn’t do a worse one👍

Cabinet Enforcer30/07/2020 19:48:57
121 forum posts
4 photos

I can't even begin to imagine the state of the NHS if it were run at the level of parsinomy extolled by the average hobby engineerlaugh

Former Member30/07/2020 19:54:21

[This posting has been removed]

Stueeee30/07/2020 21:46:16
144 forum posts
Posted by Cabinet Enforcer on 30/07/2020 19:48:57:

I can't even begin to imagine the state of the NHS if it were run at the level of parsinomy extolled by the average hobby engineerlaugh

That's probably true, but at least you'd be able to get Loctite and Silver solder on prescription.wink

duncan webster30/07/2020 22:09:00
5307 forum posts
83 photos

Early in my career I worked at a place where after 25 years you got a long holiday, with pay, but you had to take it all at once. I always wondered whether this was a ruse on the part of management to see if the absence of these people would be noticed! Certainly several people I knew were worried.

Martin Kyte30/07/2020 22:16:28
3445 forum posts
62 photos

Apart from growing food creating shelter and clothing, pretty much all employment is non essential. However the level of non essential endeavour taking place is a good indicator of the level of civilization. The better we are at doing the first three things with fewer people releases others to into life quality enhancing activities.

regards Martin

Clive Hartland30/07/2020 22:33:26
2929 forum posts
41 photos

To live without working you would spend longer each day trying to gather or grow food including trapping than you would working. Bear in mind that you have to provide for all year use, so storage, preparation etc is very time consuming. Also ground preparation etc. Scavenging is all very well but not a good way to live. Need animals and pack horse for heavy carrying. so animal forage needed too. Back to mechanical means until it needs fuel and repair and spares.

Neil Wyatt30/07/2020 22:35:42
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles

I shudder when I think of how we re-use and repurpose things...

"I know you came in for a kidney, but this spleen looks a good fit and it's a shame to bin such a nice healthy lump..."

Neil

Bazyle30/07/2020 22:54:32
6956 forum posts
229 photos

AH, my favourite subject.

Car wash places. If you are too lazy to wash your own car this activity should be reserved for teenagers to earn pocket money, or students doing some king of fundraising. I think some of these places are run with two sets of part time staff who then claim salary subsidy off the taxpayer.
Fairy party princess. Heard on Radio Devon a couple of months ago a woman (not a girl) complaining that she couldn't do the 'job' during lockdown and people were dong it online by zoom for free. This shoud be reserved for teenage girls (and I suppose nowadays LGBT boys). What kid wants a 'princess' as old as their mother?
Personal trainers - what ! you need someone to tell you to do push ups?
Council planning departments - well a massive reduction in the numbers of these wasters of space.
Environmental impact assessors that cost more than the job that needs to be done.
Everyone involved in the gambling industries.
Most of the people in marketing and advertising departments.
Prison Warders indoors, well actually just retrain them to run the chain gangs of prisoners picking vegetables instead of immigrants.
Army - this was invented to supress the people and protect the monarch with defence of the realm only brought in when said morarch wanted more subjects to supress. The airforce is only needed to support the navy which is only needed for border patrols so both can be reduced in size, privitised and paid on results.
Coffee shops - make your own damned coffee, at home, for 1/100 the price.
importers of useless plastic crap. All crap to be made locally out of wood with a guaranteed two generations life.
Artists and sculptors - this is a hobby it is not a real job.
Professional sports people especially 'athletes'. The first marathon was run only because they hadn't invented mobile phones - get with the times. Sport is just a hobby.
Pet breeders - there are enough dogs and cats produced for free without someone making money out of it.
Hairdressers - women should have long hair and men can go to a non pretentious barber once a year at most.

Last but not least POLITICIANS

Edited By Bazyle on 30/07/2020 22:56:59

David Davies 830/07/2020 22:57:07
202 forum posts
1 photos

Re parsimony.

I read the following some time ago:-

An engineer is someone who can do for 50p what any old fool can do for a pound.

Dave

Nick Wheeler30/07/2020 22:57:49
1227 forum posts
101 photos

We're not paying £31.37 per titanium screw! I'll make on The Myford(add your own magnificent trumpet sound) for a lot less!

13months later:

We need those screws Cyril. Some time last year would have been good

I'm still waiting for a piece of stock to appear in Sid's wastebin

etc

David Davies 830/07/2020 23:04:35
202 forum posts
1 photos

Bazyle

surely politicians should be at the top of your list?

Dave

Nicholas Farr30/07/2020 23:33:48
3988 forum posts
1799 photos
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 30/07/2020 22:35:42:

I shudder when I think of how we re-use and repurpose things...

"I know you came in for a kidney, but this spleen looks a good fit and it's a shame to bin such a nice healthy lump..."

Neil

Hi Neil, yes! makes one wonder if Frankenstein was a model engineer, but there again, I don't think his first model would have won any prizes. devil

Regards Nick.

Hopper30/07/2020 23:53:20
7881 forum posts
397 photos

Is grumpy old git a job? There seem to be some professional level examples about.

All Topics | Latest Posts

This thread is closed.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate