Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Now is a good time

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Speedy Builder519/03/2020 12:04:05
2878 forum posts
248 photos

Now is a good time to do an inventory of your workshop. Use a spreadsheet to identify all your tools and against each indicate date of acquisition, cost, todays 2nd hand value and Estimated original price. Should something happen to you (Don't mention the "V" word) it may help your family. Send a copy to your insurance company perhaps ?

Another good thing to stop boredom setting in whilst going through this isolation period / Lock down would be to write your life story, search the internet of places you worked at and include photos etc. A lot of us were apprentices - include all that stuff as a modern apprenticeship only scrapes the surface. Those of us who toiled for 5 years on nuppence an hour and stayed on at college etc have lots to tell another generation.

Of course, you could finish off that project that you started some years ago.

pgk pgk19/03/2020 12:45:48
2661 forum posts
294 photos

I told my kids that I'm bu**ered if I'm going to do lists in case I croak.. they want to inherit then they can do the work. If it were possible I'd rather spend my time findign out about tall those rcreational drugs and loose women I keep hearing about - though doubtless I'd just embarass myself.

I have been writing 'tales of pgk' for years - just the amusing bits rather than academic or professional cases.

My list of unfinished jobs is growing and i shall only fo what I fancy and worry about the horrible chores if I make it through.

I stopped at the chip shop today - apologised for not being in for months 'cos i was on a diet and health kick - but that seems rather pointless now....

pgk

Bazyle19/03/2020 15:42:54
6956 forum posts
229 photos

Put your 3-jaw chuck in a box labelled " This is a 3-jaw chuck for xxx lathe". Find the second set of jaws for your 3-jaw and put them in a bag clearly labelled with words like "These MUST be kept with the chuck that is currently on the lathe or in this box.". Something similar applies to chuck keys, spare plates for the dividing head.

Ady119/03/2020 16:05:39
6137 forum posts
893 photos

I could write my life history down on paper and sign it but they might put me in jail

Grindstone Cowboy19/03/2020 17:34:42
1160 forum posts
73 photos

Catalogue the contents of your workshop?? How long are we expecting this shut-in to last then?

not done it yet19/03/2020 20:41:53
7517 forum posts
20 photos

I stopped at the chip shop today - apologised for not being in for months 'cos i was on a diet and health kick - but that seems rather pointless now....

Not pointless at all. That improved diet and health kick, could well stand you in good stead if/when this virus takes hold of you!

Cornish Jack19/03/2020 21:07:29
1228 forum posts
172 photos

I may well be alone in this, but I find the recurrent concern about workshop 'values' puzzling. For one thing, values will be in the 'length of string' category - there's no Glass's Guide to workshop tools. Secondly, I class workshop 'stuff' as equivalent to (say) holiday expenditure, both in amount and residual value. You buy it and (even better than holiday costs) write off the expenditure but have continuing future value in useability!! If you subsequently sell it, the amount is irrelevant ... its all bonus. Doesn't seem to work like that in most of the forum posts. "What's it worth, was it a bargain?" Can't ever recall a "got xxx years use out of ***** , worth every penny I paid for it! Anything more than scrap value is a bonus!" I'm probably being too simplistic!

rgds

Bill

Bazyle20/03/2020 19:36:54
6956 forum posts
229 photos
Posted by Cornish Jack on 19/03/2020 21:07:29:

I may well be alone in this, but I find the recurrent concern about workshop 'values' puzzling.

Well you can put your head in the sand but like it or not over the next few months there are going to be some widows getting fleeced by house clearers and garage traders claiming there is no market for an immaculate Myford.

Graham Stoppani21/03/2020 05:51:00
157 forum posts
29 photos

My biggest fear is that when I'm gone she sells it for what I said I bought it for... wink

Hopper21/03/2020 06:58:15
7881 forum posts
397 photos

For most people, when you lose a partner such material matters suddenly become completely irrelevant. Puts it all in a very real perspective : it's only old junk. Hubby had his fun with it. Its purpose and value are now over. Then there is the painful business of getting rid of it. Quick and easy is best.

Better to spend your time now telling and showing your loved ones how much you love them . Dont take for granted that they know this already or think that it's silly etc . They won't be there forever.

Speedy Builder521/03/2020 07:23:32
2878 forum posts
248 photos

Workshop valuations could be used following fire, flood or theft - not just for when we drop off this planet !

jimmy b21/03/2020 07:35:34
857 forum posts
45 photos

I wouldn't dare tell my insurance company what my shed is worth!

Jim

martin perman21/03/2020 08:46:49
2095 forum posts
75 photos
Posted by Graham Stoppani on 21/03/2020 05:51:00:

My biggest fear is that when I'm gone she sells it for what I said I bought it for... wink

I've told my beloved that if I pop off before her and one day I'm looking down on her I see a skip I will haunt her for the rest of her days laugh

Martin P

pgk pgk21/03/2020 09:09:42
2661 forum posts
294 photos
Posted by jimmy b on 21/03/2020 07:35:34:

I wouldn't dare tell my insurance company what my shed is worth!

Jim

I now my insurnace co would expect every item over a set value being listed and then give a massive hike on their rates and if disaster strikes they'll revalue everything at lowest secondhand value and give you a proportion. I've just had to accept that some things will be uninsured. My insuranace rates are high enough just with the needs of owing this piece of rural Wales and the liabilities I have to cover for roadside hedges and trees and the fact that the public might take short cuts across it and trip on a molehill or let their kids fiddle with farm machinery....

Andrew Evans21/03/2020 09:25:27
366 forum posts
8 photos

Maybe your family would take up model engineering and use the workshop and tools to finish the unfinished projects - as an act of homage. They would say "I now know why they did it all these years" .

Cornish Jack21/03/2020 10:06:12
1228 forum posts
172 photos

Nothing unexpected in the responses. but, as a f'instance, Bazyle's concern re 'fleecing' would be avoided by ... what? His decision (not to be negotiated?) on the value of his various machines. 'Book value' (no such publication) ? Initial cost minus x years depreciation? Latest 'bidding war' similar item on Ebay? ... etc., etc. There are no useful guidelines for 'valuing' our machines - it's 'piece of string' territory, so how does the 'avoid being fleeced' idea work?

rgds

Bill

Martin W21/03/2020 10:42:08
940 forum posts
30 photos

Wise words Hopper, no need to say more. I'm lucky to still have my better half after 50 years together but it won't last forever.

Martin

AdrianR21/03/2020 12:13:44
613 forum posts
39 photos

When we were trying to sort things out after my parents died, one of the hardest things was finding passwords. I would recommend getting a password manager e.g. Bitwarden Set the master password to something that you and your SO will remember and make sure your children know where to find it too.

You can also store secure notes, so lists of where all your money is and useful things like NS&I numbers can be safely stored.

Regarding the workshop, perhaps some notes on how to dispose of it all would be a kindness. We regularly see posts from relatives asking either what is it worth or how do I sell it.

A point just made by my wife. get out all your photo's and write on the back who they are etc.

Grim times, but I wish everyone of you the very best of luck and hope to see you all on the other side.

Adrian

larry phelan 121/03/2020 13:11:02
1346 forum posts
15 photos

I thought about looking for those drugs and loose women too, although I,m not sure I could handle either of them now. Still , it,s an interesting idea !!

Circlip21/03/2020 13:11:47
1723 forum posts

"Write down the values?????"

Lets get real about this.

Who the hell is going to buy it???

The vast majority of those left hardly know how to make toast, few years ago, 17year old grandson rang his Mother to ask "How do I make a bacon sandwich?" I was there when the phonecall came in and yes, did someone get a right b********g !

Regards Ian.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate