Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Tyres for bandsaw

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Gary Wooding24/07/2019 10:00:49
1074 forum posts
290 photos

I've inherited a Naerok bandsaw for wood, it looks exactly like the Clarke 360.. It hadn't been used for a number of years and the drive belt had stretched so I replaced it with a polyurethane one. When I tried sawing, it kept shedding the blade. I thought I'd fixed that and then one of the two tyres disintegrated. Further investigation suggests that there should be 3 tyres - one for each wheel, but now there is only one.

Can anybody suggest where I can get replacement tyres please?

Nathan Sharpe24/07/2019 10:38:22
175 forum posts
3 photos

When I replaced the tyres on my 14" wood bandsaw I used self amalgamating tape as used by electricians. It's still on after 10 years. Others have used Plasticote and Plastidip, both available from online suppliers. Nathan.

Vic24/07/2019 10:43:18
3453 forum posts
23 photos

Have a look here.

**LINK**

If they can’t help I have heard of folks gluing inner tube rubber on the wheels.

Brian H24/07/2019 11:33:30
2312 forum posts
112 photos

Try Ebay, there is a set of 3 tyres and a drivebelt for about £30 on there.

Lambton24/07/2019 11:33:47
694 forum posts
2 photos

Gary,

Try contacting Clarke spares department especially if you have a "Clarke" badged version of a Far Eastern machine. I inherited a Warco 3 wheel 14" band saw that required replacement wheel bands. I contacted Warco who were of no help as they said my band saw was obsolete so I contacted Clarke spare who provided me with 3 wheel bands by return of post and at a very reasonable price.

Eric

Alistair Robertson 124/07/2019 11:52:25
154 forum posts
6 photos

I had to get new tyres for my Delta bandsaw and after a lot of faffing about with UK suppliers who said they couldn't help even when they said they were Delta dealers! I went on Ebay and ordered a set of Blue Max Urethane tyres (tires!) from the USA which were delivered about 10 days later.

There seems to be several USA suppliers on Ebay but their prices seem to be very similar.

They weren't expensive, are very good quality and have transformed my bandsaw so I can thoroughly recommend them.

Gary Wooding24/07/2019 11:55:39
1074 forum posts
290 photos

Thanks for the suggestions. Scott+Sargeant are far too pricey so I'm going to try Nathan's suggestion of self amalgamating tape.

Nathan Sharpe24/07/2019 12:25:11
175 forum posts
3 photos

Gary, if you're going to use the tape as I did you must make sure that the wheels are clean and abraded. I used two separate layers with the joints 180* apart on the wheels. Hope it works for you. Nathan.

Gary Wooding24/07/2019 15:57:18
1074 forum posts
290 photos

I've ordered the tape and will report back with the results.

An Other24/07/2019 17:13:53
327 forum posts
1 photos

The tyres desintegrated on my bandsaw about 4 years ago, and at the time I was unable to locate replacements. Since I need to use it, I made 'temporary tyres from some thick leather I had (about 3 mm thick). These were glued in place with impact adhesive. I 'feathered' the ends so they overlapped about 1 cm. They are still in place, and the saw gets a fair amount of use, which has made me wonder about the advisability of fitting the correct tyres in view of the prices mentioned in this thread.

Rex Hanman24/07/2019 18:30:50
121 forum posts
3 photos

I needed to replace the tyres on two bandsaws, a 14" Delta and a 12" obsolete Axminster. I popped into the Axminster Tools showroom armed with a tape measure and checked the sizes of the saws in stock. I easily found machines with identical tyre widths and very similar wheel diameters. There seems to be a standard.

A very helpful chap in the spares dept supplied me with replacements which fitted perfectly. as long as the width is the same you can be less concerned with the diameter as they are very stretchy,

It was a while back, (18 months or so) but I don't think they were expensive.

I realise that not everyone has a suitable showroom nearby.

mark smith 2024/07/2019 19:35:14
682 forum posts
337 photos

I have two bandsaws ,a walker turner 10" and a jet 18" ,i have replaced both tyres with this in the appropriate width . (3mm thick)

**LINK**

Cheap and has been on both saws for 3 years.

I measure calculate the circumference of the wheels and if i remember cut strips either 2/3 the circumference or 75% (cant remember) the ends are just butt jointed using a cyanoacrylate glue . The tyres are stretched over the wheels and then using a round 1/2- 3/4 put under the tyre rod i spread dunlop alpha thixofix glue under the tyres working around the whole wheel circumference then pull the rod out and let dry.

p.s the ones on the walker turner have been on aroun 6-7 years got time wrong. No sign of much deterioration or failure of superglue joint.

p1110787.jpg

Edited By mark smith 20 on 24/07/2019 19:47:43

not done it yet24/07/2019 21:25:00
7517 forum posts
20 photos
Posted by Brian H on 24/07/2019 11:33:30:

Try Ebay, there is a set of 3 tyres and a drivebelt for about £30 on there.

Epay is infested (among the good ones) with sellers who try to sell items at high prices. All these fixes described have worked admirably, at low cost (I particularly subscribe to MS20’s fix - made-up O-rings have long been used successfully). The glue is either the belt or the braces in the scheme.

I recently looked for a distributor cap for an American built tractor. The appropriate forum quoted a Bedford HA (or HB) cap as a direct replacement. Looking at fleabay, the designated cap was thirty quid from the only seller I found. Nine quid (VAT incl.) from my local auto factor - and I don’t have a trade account.

I do wonder how many (cheaper) band saws have been scrapped just for the want of a simple cheap fix.

peak424/07/2019 23:51:44
2207 forum posts
210 photos

I can't find my old post now, but I've previously advocated using cork/rubber gasket material.

It's the sort of stuff that sump gaskets are sometimes made from, a finely granulated cork and rubber mix produced in sheet form. I usually just use cheap Yoohoo glue from Poundland.
I bought a couple of sheets a few years ago from the manufacturer in Penistone, but is often obtainable from good motor factors

Bill.

Alastair Macpherson05/08/2019 21:51:23
15 forum posts
1 photos

I also have one of these Naerok machines, and was faced with the same wheel tyre problems putting it out of action. Thanks to your post, I have since used the method suggested by Mark Smith 20 with complete success. I used 12 x 1.5mm neoprene.

Gary Wooding29/08/2019 07:31:52
1074 forum posts
290 photos

I purchased a roll of the self-amalgamating tape but since it was 20mm wide and the tyres are only 12mm I put it to one side while I figured a way to accurately trim the width.

I then saw Alastair's and Mark's posts about neoprene and bought a roll of 12x1.5mm, cut lengths equivalent to 75% of the circumference and superglued the ends together. When stretched over the wheels the tension is so great that I didn't bother with glueing them on. They worked perfectly. We'll see how long the superglue holds.

Good result, the saw is back in service. Thanks everyone.

not done it yet29/08/2019 08:34:52
7517 forum posts
20 photos

We’ll see how long the superglue holds.

Gary,

Just a ‘dab’ of glue immediately either side of the joint would be ‘belt and braces’ to ensure the joint was not just under permanent tension. Glued all the way round is probably a bit OTT, but that extra insurance, around the joint area, would be my choice.smiley

It will likely last years, as it is.

Robin King29/08/2019 10:03:56
137 forum posts
1 photos

Gary,

From experience with my Naerok bandsaw it's was a waste of effort trying the short cut repairs.

I finally found Band Saw Tire Warehouse in the USA and they supply blue urethane belts purpose made for the Naerok (and other makes) which are a first class product. I fitted some few years ago and they transformed the belt grip and accuracy of my machine and proved well worth the cost.. You have to warm up the belts in hot water before fitting as they are a tight fit on the wheels; full instructions are supplied. You can find them either by web search or via their Ebay shop.

Mike Harman24/10/2019 11:37:20
1 forum posts

Hi

I built a bandsaw 3 years ago and it has had alot of use. for the tyres on the wheels I used pushbike tyres. to use these you split them arount the inside centre line and slip them over the wheel.The tube grips onto the side of the wheel and to date has not worn out or moved. bike tyres or nuematic buggy tyres now come in an array of sizes get one that is a little on the small size if needed. My wheels are 12 inch and a 12 inch tube was used. At the Mens shed I replace the tyres the same way on our band saw 16 inch wheels and it works fine

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate