Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Skyhooks - an overhead solution

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Rik Shaw26/01/2019 12:02:22
1494 forum posts
403 photos

I find it very trying looking for a particular hand tool which has hidden itself from view and with no wall space left to mount tool racks the tools remained in cluttered drawers.

So I eyed up these magnetic strips in either LIDL or ALDI (I can't remember which) and thought they might come in handy. The only vacant space to speak of in my workshop is the ceiling so that is where I fixed'em. My screwdrivers and nut runners now have a new organized home. It still does not stop me scratching my head though when I glance up and spot a gap and wonder where I left THAT one!

Initially I had thought the magnets might not be strong enough for the job but these "skyhooks" are well up to the job and in the two months or so since they have been up there nothing has fallen of.

Rik

skyhooks.jpg

Martin Harris 926/01/2019 15:21:28
13 forum posts
5 photos

While the magnets may be up to the job, the sword of Damocles comes to mind...

Trevor Drabble26/01/2019 17:51:52
339 forum posts
7 photos

That's where I put my working drawings , held up by masking tape for obvious reasons . In this way , they don't take up bench space , are kept fully open , are well lit and don't get damaged .

Trevor .

Ian S C27/01/2019 08:48:27
7468 forum posts
230 photos

OK but I can't stand magnetized tools.

Ian S C

Perko728/01/2019 12:15:20
452 forum posts
35 photos

Either my ceiling is too high or my arms are too short......laugh

btw Skyhooks is also the name of an Aussie glam rock band from the 70's

Zan29/01/2019 00:27:57
356 forum posts
25 photos

I used to use the same sort of thing, but now they are in the bin you will magnetise the tools when drawing them off the holder ruined a very good  expensive calliper this way. Don’t do it. Use wood with drilled holes.

Edit  I hate autotype 

Edited By Zan on 29/01/2019 00:30:03

John MC29/01/2019 07:41:53
464 forum posts
72 photos

Magnetic tools are a nuisance, I would avoid these things like I would the plague!

J Hancock29/01/2019 08:48:01
869 forum posts

Nice idea.......but , ' King Harold' and ''Hastings' , keeps saying something to me........

Mike Poole29/01/2019 09:39:43
3676 forum posts
82 photos

A magnetic screwdriver can be very useful but I just stick a small magnet on the screwdriver and the tip temporarily becomes a magnet, demagnetising is easy if it should pick up a bit of magnetism.

Mike

SillyOldDuffer29/01/2019 09:58:25
10668 forum posts
2415 photos
Posted by John MC on 29/01/2019 07:41:53:

Magnetic tools are a nuisance, I would avoid these things like I would the plague!

In the event anyone wants the plague I see from Adventures in China that Arc Eurotrade are in a position to supply all your needs. Don't delay though - it's only available while current stock lasts...

smiley

Rik Shaw29/01/2019 11:29:51
1494 forum posts
403 photos

Anyone who suffers the "nuisance" of magnetised tools in their workshop obviously does not have one of these:

degausser.jpg

This example lives under a bench but is rarely used.

Like Mike P though I also appreciate the benefits of magnetic screwdriver tips. With my shaky mitts it often makes things so much easier for me. For this reason ALL my screw driver tips are magnetic. For non-ferrous fixtures I use a dollop of blutack - does the same job!

colin hawes30/01/2019 11:20:36
570 forum posts
18 photos

A hinged and latched notice board fixed to the ceiling could be a space saving way of hanging a drawing for those of us whose neck objects to looking up too long. Colin

John Reese30/01/2019 20:42:18
1071 forum posts

There is another kind of skyhook.

https://skyhook.cc/index.html

I have one. It is a pain to set up on the mill. I have to bolt down the adapter base then set the skyhook in place. It weighs almost as much ad the vise I will be lifting. The lathe compound slide is not sturdy enough to support it for lifting chucks. It sits in the corner most of the time.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate