By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Zan

Here is a list of all the postings Zan has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Locktite allowance
22/08/2023 21:53:44

I’m going blind n it seems I can’t read data info!….. thanks again

22/08/2023 10:09:08

Ok thanks folks. Even the data sheets don’t indicate if it’s radial or diametric clearance. It is constantly referred to as gap which suggests radial, although it gives info about press or shrink fit which in reality means zero gap!

so the new sleeve will be made with a small hand slip fit clearance

Jason. 10 years!

Howard if you want to separate put it in the domestic oven!

21/08/2023 21:33:53

I have just had a braked own due to a failed Locktite jointed sleeve.

I think it’s due to too much clearance. I used 601 which needs a gap of up to 4 thou.

The big question is does this apply to the total gap between the parts. ie bore dia minus 4 thou per side giving 8 thou difference total, or is it just 4 thou difference.

The part was right on the limit of this size at 4 thou gap all the way round it should have been smaller, and the surfaces were fine machined which probably didn’t provide enough key. When the sleeve was pulled out the Locktite came out as a paper thin film 4 thou thick. Perhaps not clean enough as well!

Thread: Oh dear - not quite right - again!
17/05/2023 13:32:59

Well Tim if you don’t like the articles there’s two solutions.

Stop reading it

write something which isn’t steam or locomotive based.

The editor can only publish the copy which is sent to him

Thread: Major flaw in the world of engineering
22/04/2023 21:23:16

A 4 jaw sc chuck is vastly superior to a 3 jaw. It grips much tighter so with it, the horror of the bar slipping when threading has gone. It grips lighter thin pieces more gently without crushing , it is highly accurate at all diameters. it holds hex bar easily and has no problem with cast bars

A chuck on a hobby lathe does not need an accurate register. My 5” is a loose fit on it which enables it to be clocked dead on centre, where it remains thus the accuracy The register is only needed if the metal removal is higher than the lathe is capable of giving I can easily take cuts of 6 mm on my S7 without any problems

Anybody who condemns a 4 jaw sc chuck obviously hasn’t used one I hardly ever used my 3 jaw fir so long, that I mounted it permanently on a milling vice rotation base ( also never used from new!) to form a spin fixture for the miller

so the OP should should skim his backplate then bolt the chuck to it and get turning Send me a pm if you want advice on how to do this

Edited By Zan on 22/04/2023 21:25:32

Thread: My Ford Super 7 Countershaft Balance
19/04/2023 19:00:58

When I got my new s7 (1982) I too had bad vibration. It came from the primary drive belt whipping. A call to myford and it seems this was a common problem which they couldn’t test at the factory cos in those days the lathe came with no motor, chuck or much else! It was completely cured when they supplied a brammer line belt which I used until fitting a vdf and 3 phase 25 years ago, when the motor drive pulley diameter was changed to stop excessive motor speed and vdf frequency with high speed turning

Thread: Remotely oiling a workshop of line shaft machinery
18/04/2023 09:04:37

Sounds an interesting museum

please give location and link

I fancy some smarties

Thread: Dro, mains power adaptor.
14/04/2023 19:54:27

1 get a battery box for rechargeable big celks at a much higher voltage than required I saw one at 3-35 v input

2 get a £3 variable voltage regulator from ebay set voltage to same as cells

3 fabricate dummy cell replacements to fit in the scale

4 fit in a case with an on off switch

job done

Thread: Maintenance and setup checking my mill
20/03/2023 09:52:59

To make trimming easier and more trouble free I got a new car brake disc and use that on the table

It eliminated the problems associated with the dti plunger dropping into the t slots and questions about has the setting changed. £10 on the bay, well spent

once you correct the nod  extend the quill and mount the dti on the table and raise/lower the head to check the quill, but correction of any error here is a much bigger problem. 

don’t ask how I know…….

Edited By Zan on 20/03/2023 09:58:14

Thread: Flying and fizzy drink cans
18/03/2023 15:33:35

There was an article in me or Eim a while back where from (distant memory) a 2” dia 1/16 copper tube had flat plates sil soldered on. It was put in a pit and remotely pumped up. I think it got to over 2000 psi before the joint failed. Our boilers are a lot stronger than we believe, but ……..

Thread: Workshop Mistakes (True Confessions)
16/03/2023 18:57:42

When making my dividing head. I was so so proud of the worm, first I had made , many many cuts and a lot of time, Because for me the thread was deep and the tool was wide. The shaft was spot on  giving a precision running fit on the housing It was perfect. Smooth flanks polished crests. I was so proud, that is,  until I fitted it and found it was the wrong hand….. That was in 1988 never throw things out. It’s now built into my loco building ( made 30 years later) stand and nicely rotates my small 7 1/4 loco

Edited By Zan on 16/03/2023 18:59:24

Thread: Solid edge community edition download problems
12/03/2023 14:16:28

Well I’m at a total loss here. I followed SOD by

copying all pictures to an external drive

deleted d: pictures which had to be permanently deleted as too big for recycle bin

clicked on pictures icon in “ My Computer”.
error as expected. d: pictures nor found

cannot right click on picture icon , it just scrolls and scrolls Had to close window to stop it

Created a new D: pictures saved a test photo in it accessible now from my computer pictures icon It shows the test picture but the folder is just a name , not the windows “ picture icon”

I cannot get the properties box up with any tab for location

I am set as admin for this machine

the SE still looks for d: pictures and hangs up

So I did a google search n found help in the registry edit so using the following

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

and edited the “my pictures” data stream to c: users/Graham/Pictures.
Closed. Rebooted. Pictures still shortcut to D:

SE still won’t get past the error in my OP

Edited to remove random smily face, cos I’m not smiling……

Edit to remove spaces in reg pictures setting. 
think I’m going to have to go back to my computer shop

Edited By Zan on 12/03/2023 14:17:30

Edited By Zan on 12/03/2023 14:20:54

11/03/2023 22:42:58

Thanks guys. Still working on the SOD method first,, seems the least intrusive I saved photos to ext drive, but it took a long time there were a lot of duplicates in my iPhone files which had to be deleted, did several hundred, but stil a lot to do and the rugby was on interestingly right vpclick didn’t bring up the menu fir properties, just continued scrollintpg and had to close file manager to stop it. Only epway was to use the properties tab at the top. More. Trias tomorrow

yes It was a typo. ; Not :

can’t modify anything i after the install as it failed as I said very early on in the installation. Perhaps a dozen seconds

10/03/2023 19:05:35

Thanks guys esp SOD Yes it is an ssd/ had machine, when I got it I created a pictures directory in the had (D and did nothing to redirect. It was purchased from the local computer store to a negotiated specification

I will copy all pictures into another file perhaps my external drive before trying anything

I will try the redirection stuff later, been busy with hospital today perhaps tomorrow as I don’t think now that I will be going to Harrogate.

ps the     c: pictures      does exist still I didn’t remove it  but have put nothing into it 

thanks

Graham

Edited By Zan on 10/03/2023 19:07:24

09/03/2023 21:07:07

Thanks I’ll try that in the morning, interestingly, I tried or put in a 22 year old 3£ cadprogram I got a full licence for at school, but it’s slow and difficult compared to bots SE and fusion This had exactly the same problem

09/03/2023 18:57:07

Thanks Dave. A comprehensive reply, Not sure about messing with cod and dos! Tried to move the pictures from d 1 tb to c: but the sad is too small to take the 57 k photos…….didn’t realise there were so many!

just looked at GUI and don’t like that either even doing a google search displays a lot of very complex info, most of which seems a foreign language, even though I used to do loads of dos mods with - dare I say it- windows 3.1…….

I’ll hang fire and see if other experts can give me a hand

thanks again

09/03/2023 17:50:45

Hi I have been trying to download this, but it halts very early on with

Error 1606. Could not access network location D; Pictures\.

The only option then is to cancel and finish

I have a fast modern desktop running W10 The program is needed to test an assembly which can’t be done in the free version of fusion 360, and I am very familiar with it as I taught GCSE and A level students to use an earlier version a good while ago now

Ps I even put it into the said location and it still wouldn’t go  did the obvious, restarted the computer  etc

Any ideas?

thanks

Graham

Edited By Zan on 09/03/2023 17:52:32

Thread: Has anyone here ever modified a capstan attachment to fit a regular centre lathe?
14/02/2023 18:41:18

There’s a myford capstan on sale for £575 in Lathes.co.uk

Thread: Whitworths micrometer and the length of a metre
10/02/2023 22:43:50

Thanks Peak4 and Michael G this will provide some interesting reading. So Whitworths device was a comparator not a micrometer and used to check the size of 1 inch standards.

but I still wonder how the Tois was divided and measured to 7 decimal places at the time to produce the metre standard

Thread: SWAPS page
10/02/2023 17:48:22

How about just a loan for a single specific task?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate