Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Calipers - Dial v digital

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
ChrisH25/10/2017 22:59:45
1023 forum posts
30 photos

Having just had both my digital 150mm/6" admittedly cheap calipers fail in the last few weeks, why I don't know, both have decided to give random widely inaccurate readings, also switching units at random, so am now considering what to replace them with, dial or digital.

My thought re dial is that OK, it's analogue and more 'mechanical', but it doesn't have a battery to fail or electronics to throw a wobbley, therefore in the long term more dependably, if less quick or versatile in units to read.

Has anyone here got any views on this subject at all please?

In the mean time, I'm glad I have my old 250mm vernier caliper to fall back on; it maybe only basic handronic in operation, only in metric and may need peering at closely and slower to read, but it doesn't fail me when I need it.

Chris

Michael Gilligan26/10/2017 00:23:07
23121 forum posts
1360 photos

Chris,

Good [typically Mitutoyo] digital calipers are much more reliable than the budget ones.

That said; I still have a liking for my old [also Mitutoyo] dial caliper; but even they are prone to occasional mysterious jumps of the reading !! ... For safety, the little pinion is spring loaded and, if you happen to get [say] some Brass particles stuck in the rack, the pinion can jump a tooth.

Scrupulous cleanliness is essential.

MichaelG.

John Reese26/10/2017 01:02:52
1071 forum posts

I have a "good" Mitutoyo 8 inch digital caliper that sits on the shelf until I need it for critical word. It would cost over $200 to replace it. For routine non-critical work I use a $19 Chinese digital. They work fine for a while. When they die I replace them. I think I have 1 or 2 spares on the shelf.

I definitely prefer digital over dial calipers. A small speck of swarf on the rack can really mess up a dial caliper. Digitals are immune to dirt. A digital will let you measure c-c of holes without doing any math.

Danny M2Z26/10/2017 07:00:12
963 forum posts
2 photos

Always my first 'go-to' tool for day to day measuring to a thou, my Mitutoyo dial caliper is used regularly. Before using I drag a slip of paper between the jaws to clean them and check zero. As already noted, they can jump a tooth but seriously, this has happened about twice in 30 years and the instructions show how to use a piece of brass shim to make a simple reset tool.

For more precise work I use a Moore & Wright tenths reading vernier micrometer and to be honest, I have not found a requirement to use my expensive digital tools for so long that they are stored without batteries installed with the exception of a cheap digital caliper used as a drilling/boring depth indicator attached to the lathe tailstock.

I am not quite a Luddite as I do have an ancient calculator in the workshop that always seems to have 25.4 programmed as a constant in the memory.

* Danny M *

big tiger - 9s.jpg

Bill Pudney26/10/2017 07:23:02
622 forum posts
24 photos

I don't like stuff with batteries, or electronics generally. No doubt this makes me another Luddite. I get by with, in order of precision, a good quality steel rule, a Mitutoyo vernier (no dial), and a M & W Micrometer (0-25mm) a Starret 25 - 50mm, an M & W imperial depth mic, a "cheap" 5 - 30 inside Mic, and luxury, a 14 to 17mm bore Mic. The only digital measuring thing used is a "box of angles", I'm paranoid about the battery going flat.............. This lot does me!!

cheers

Bill

Neil Wyatt26/10/2017 08:03:35
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles

The advantages of decent digital verniers are the smoothness of the action, battery life and temperature stability.

I use my Mitutoyos more than my M&Ws because the M&W auto power-off very quickly which is annoying.

Ones that go dodgy generally need the scale cleaned with meths and a new battery.

Michael Gilligan26/10/2017 08:32:33
23121 forum posts
1360 photos
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 26/10/2017 08:03:35:

... digital verniers ...

crying 2

Mick B126/10/2017 08:40:32
2444 forum posts
139 photos

I was a shopfloor machinist in the '70s when dial calipers first appeared. Loads of machinists bought them but they started to slip teeth very quickly. This was in the days when the Mitutoyo name had absolutely none of the quality significance it has today, but I took a chance and bought a Mitutoyo 6" vernier instead - which I still use from time to time, because I didn't feel the dial calipers were trustworthy.

I use an M&W value line digital for most work, with an old Mitutoyo vernier mic for accurate diameters. For rougher work I've also got an Aldi digital which still seems to work after multiple dredgings with coaldust, oil, swarf and suds (though you have to wipe it clean and rezero!). I guess I still won't trust dial calipers...smiley

Edited By Mick B1 on 26/10/2017 08:41:07

Neil Wyatt26/10/2017 08:43:52
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 26/10/2017 08:32:33:
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 26/10/2017 08:03:35:

... digital verniers ...

crying 2

You know I came up with a sophisticated* argument why digital vernier is appropriate.

Neil

*In the original sense.

Michael Gilligan26/10/2017 08:48:56
23121 forum posts
1360 photos
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 26/10/2017 08:43:52:

*In the original sense.

wink

Martin Kyte26/10/2017 09:10:51
3445 forum posts
62 photos

One obvious advantage of digital is the ability to set the zero wherever you require. For example distance between holes of equal diameter can be found by measuring the inside diameter of one hole and zeroing the caliper, Subsequent mesurement between the outer circumference of the two holes gives you a direct read of the centre distance. Similarly setting the caliper to zero at the reuired diamter when turning gives you a read out of how much needs to come off the part. Anything that removes the need to calculate will eventually save a mistake.

Plus the fact that you can switch from metric to imperial at will.

I do still posses a dial caliper but I don't remember when I last used it.

regards Martin

IanT26/10/2017 09:33:52
2147 forum posts
222 photos

I think it's all down to personal preference Chris.

I have a (good) Vernier caliper and a cheap digital one (but I don't have a 'dial' caliper). I invariably use the Vernier unless I'm doing something where it's particularly useful to be able to switch between metric/imperial or (more likely) measure a difference (using the zero facility). One reason is that I prefer using the fine setting adjustment on the Vernier (the cheap digital one just has a knurled knob) but I suspect the main reason is just a matter of personal habit - I've had the Vernier a long time and it's just very natural to use it.

Drifting off topic slightly - I also have an older Vernier gauge set up as a short height gauge (held upright in a block) and have added a digital scale to that but I still set-it with the Vernier mainly. The digital scale is useful for quick checks/comparisons though - as I don't have to pick it up all the time. For my small woodwork I have a very nice digital marking gauge which I do find very useful (easy to set) - and I've never owned a more traditional type.... so back to the point about what is familiar/comfortable I think..

Of course if I want accuracy - then I have a number of micrometers - both metric and imperial.

Regards,

IanT

Chris Evans 626/10/2017 09:47:39
2156 forum posts

I have proper verniers and prefer the "feel" if needed for an accurate size check. However my go to daily use is cheap digital calipers from Aldi. One set on metric one on imperial and a new one in the drawer as back up. My first Aldi caliper is now over 8 years old. The three of them cost less than half my previous Mitutoyo caliper which I gave away as it was an old style with a small read out size.

SillyOldDuffer26/10/2017 10:43:07
10668 forum posts
2415 photos

On the downside, a digital caliper has a battery that goes flat just when you need the stupid thing most!

On the upside: digital calipers have an unambiguous display that can switch between Imperial and Metric. They also have a resettable zero and perhaps fractions and an absolute function. Most useful to me is that digitals come in a cost range suited to purpose. By that I mean I can use a cheap caliper for rough work, for example as a scribe, without worrying about spoiling a good tool. When a cheap caliper dies, goes wonky, or gets broken I throw it away. There are no tears. I also keep a more expensive caliper in a safe place for more important work. Damaging one of these is much more painful!

Finally, when accuracy matters my preferred tool is a micrometer.

Dave

Brian G26/10/2017 10:53:16
912 forum posts
40 photos

Bought several Kennedy digital calipers more than ten years ago for work, one was in my desk drawer along with the calibrated test bars (now well out of date) and a dial caliper when the factory closed so I "disposed" of them. Dead reliable, and despite having both absolute and increment measurement and a display that never times out the battery lasts many times as long as those in the Aldi caliper I keep in my desk. Meanwhile, I am not even sure where the dial caliper is, it is so long since I used it.

Brian

Martin Kyte26/10/2017 11:19:05
3445 forum posts
62 photos

What about stiff legged calipers and Jenny Odd Legs.

:0)

ChrisH26/10/2017 11:26:18
1023 forum posts
30 photos

I have an imperial 0-1" mic, a 0-25mm, 25-50mm and a 50-75mm mics and an 5-30,, inside mic. I love using the mics, it's what I am familiar with. I have a digital height gauge which is also a delight to use and, until recently, had 2 cheapo digital calipers which were convenient for the reasons stated above - the readily availability to switch units and reset zero when required etc. I also have a 0-250mm vernier and a 0-400mm (I think, it's so long since I saw it) vernier which are at least reliable if slow!  The mics were - are - used as final measurers, the digital calipers only for rough measuring to near the finished dimension.

But the digital units were cheapo ones and I realised that to get a good one needed some (to me) serious dosh spending. Hence the consideration for a dial caliper. I had not heard of the meths trick - thanks for that Neil, I will try it and see if it helps. Am reluctant to buy another cheapo digital if it's only going to go down the same route eventually, they may be cheap individually but not accumulitively in the long run. Not got the budget for an expensive digital one, have other things to spend the money on first so, as above, hence the dial consideration.

I do appreciate those who have given their views, it have given me food for further thought, thank you.

The first digital went in the bin after becoming impossible to use in a meaningful way; the current one has started to go down the same route - not switching on, switching off by itself, reading about half what the reading should be, suddenly switching units half way through, zeroing on its own in the middle of measurement, and generally making a complete nuisance of itself instead of helping me. It was treated to a new battery not long ago, I will try another new one and the meths trick but if it continues to rile me it's going to follow the other one into the bin!

Chris

Edited By ChrisH on 26/10/2017 11:28:08

Peter G. Shaw26/10/2017 11:30:48
1531 forum posts
44 photos

I find that my two digital calipers "eat" batteries, so much so that I've stopped using them. I have a 0.05mm resolution true vernier caliper, a 0.01mm Starrett dial caliper and a "White Face" dial caliper with a resolution of 0.02mm. Of these, the Starrett is by far and away the smoothest and hence nicest to use. Unfortunately it's a bit big sometimes at 150mm measuring length so the "White Face" at 100mm measuring length gets as lot of use around the lathe. The vernier, whilst dead accurate according to a trio of 25, 50 & 75mm Mitutoyo test gauges, is reserved for jobs where the 0.05 resolution doesn't matter that much.

Another factor is the specification of the digitals - plus/minus 1 on the least significant digit. So is 10.00mm 10.00mm? Or 9.99mm? Or 10.01mm? Not convinced of the superiority of digital!

Go for a good quality dial.

Peter G. Shaw

ChrisH26/10/2017 11:34:24
1023 forum posts
30 photos

Peter - had not considered a 0-100mm unit, only 0-150mm caliper. What you say about everyday use around the lathe is interesting, thanks for that, something else to ponder!

Chris

duncan webster26/10/2017 12:21:44
5307 forum posts
83 photos

If you're chasing thous use a micrometer. My old Sylvac digi caliper has just died, the display lights up, but it won't zero, switch units or increment when you move the slide. I call this dead, but it must be well over 15 years old. I've tried taking the battery out and leaving it for a bit. I note that the modern one from MDRO has much shorter battery life, and the battery goes flat even if it's not switched on. Yesterday I noticed that if you switch it on, zero it, switch it off, set it on a test bar, switch it back on it gives the correct reading, so off doesn't mean off, it only turns the display off. Just buy the batteries in bulk at exhibitions or off ebay.

And yes the 100mm one is very useful especially on the milling machine where it can get into places the big one can't

Edited By duncan webster on 26/10/2017 12:22:48

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate