Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Myford tool post ball handle

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Adrian 228/11/2016 17:04:18
104 forum posts
19 photos

I would like to make a ball handle/lever for my Myford ML7R tool post, to replace the standard nut and spanner arrangement.

For it to be visually correct the dimensions/ proportions are important. Can anyone provide this information please? Not sure if this was or is a Myford part.

There is something very pleasing about seeing a true sphere develop as it is turned. I want to make this.

Any help appreciated thank you.

Adrian.

Brian Oldford28/11/2016 17:48:18
686 forum posts
18 photos

The proportions of good looking ball levers are well documented in one of G.H. Thomas's books. I see if I can find my copy.

Roderick Jenkins28/11/2016 18:10:53
2376 forum posts
800 photos

Adrian,

The Myford toolpost handle comes as part of the rotating 4 way toolpost. Mine is 3" long, ball centre to ball centre, The big ball is 1" OD and the little ball is slightly less than 3/4" OD. Large end of the shaft is 0.44" and the small end is 0.31". The handle sits at about 20 degrees to the horizontal.

I use mine on my Dickson toolpost:

tp 4.jpg

HTH,

Rod

mrbuilder07/12/2016 12:33:37
71 forum posts
15 photos

Rod, out of interest do you ever find the locking handle sits in an awkward position when using it with the quick change? I've head of guys having to fit 'custom' washers to get it to sit in the appropriate place.

Edit: Sorry just saw your post from a few years ago where you have done just that!

Edited By mrbuilder on 07/12/2016 12:59:50

Vic07/12/2016 13:26:23
3453 forum posts
23 photos
Posted by Brian Oldford on 28/11/2016 17:48:18:

The proportions of good looking ball levers are well documented in one of G.H. Thomas's books. I see if I can find my copy.

Yes, I've seen a drawing somewhere and they did look smart.

Martin Kyte07/12/2016 13:31:46
3445 forum posts
62 photos

On the 'odd' occasions when you wish to set the toolpost at strange angles with the topslide set at an angle or to use a position on the tailstock side the ball handle can get in the way of the cam hexagons somewhat. On my last arrangement I had a fairly thick bush under the ball handle which moved it up to use the top threads. This helped ease this issue somewhat. Arrange the thickness to leave the handle in the most useful place.

regards Martin

ian j07/12/2016 16:59:38
337 forum posts
371 photos

A quick Google search found this description on making ball handles:-

**LINK**

:

John Purdy07/12/2016 20:02:24
431 forum posts
252 photos

Adrian

George Thomas's proportions for aesthetically appealing ball handles ( listed in his Model Engineer's Workshop Manual, also ME 3 Feb 78 ) are as follows:

The large ball diameter (D), 2 to 2.4 x the thread diameter

The small ball from 0.75D to 0.80D

the length of the handle, between ball centres, from 2.5 to 3.5D

Diameter of the shank at either end, not more than .5 of the adjacent ball dia., preferably 1/32" less

Angle 10 to 20 deg.

Flat bottom on large ball turned back 0.25D, leaving dia. of the face 0.87D.

I seem to recall that Prof. Chaddock also listed proportions for ball handles in one of his articles ( can't put my hands on it at the moment). If I remember correctly they were similar but I think the shank was longer.

John Purdy

Jon08/12/2016 23:16:07
1001 forum posts
49 photos
Posted by mrbuilder on 07/12/2016 12:33:37:

Rod, out of interest do you ever find the locking handle sits in an awkward position when using it with the quick change?

Thread it up first tighten up and see where you want the handle to lie. Then simple drill and tap for handle, done that way on last 4 lathes.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate