Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

SX2P Mill Power feed

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Gordon Tarling25/10/2016 10:01:19
185 forum posts
4 photos

I've just ordered some parts to enable me to fit an X axis power feed to my newly acquired SX2P mill. What I'm struggling with is finding a simple method of declutching the power feed from the leadscrew when manual operation is required. I've found a few threads here and there, but they all seem to use a very basic sliding dog type clutch, which gives me the impression that it's not likely to be very reliable, so I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a better system? Given the choice, an electromagnetically operated clutch would be perfect, but I haven't found anything suitable or affordable yet!

Neil Wyatt25/10/2016 10:11:14
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles

I can't see why a dog clutch is likely to be unreliable? The slotted end of the X2 leadscrew is designed to work with a dog clutch.

Neil

Michael Gilligan25/10/2016 10:44:42
23121 forum posts
1360 photos

Gordon,

I agree with Neil's assessment ...

As for motorising it: Solenoid actuation of a typical dog-clutch would be simple enough, as would using a stepper motor and toothed belt.

MichaelG.

Ady125/10/2016 10:55:07
6137 forum posts
893 photos

The dog clutch is the simplest most reliable system, which is why it's so popular

An electromagnetic system would attract metal dust and swarf

Michael Gilligan25/10/2016 11:12:37
23121 forum posts
1360 photos

Here [borrowed from **LINK** ]

http://www.lathes.co.uk/jason/

is a simple dog-clutch configuation that could be easily motorised:

img_0448.jpg

MichaelG.

Gordon Tarling25/10/2016 11:51:38
185 forum posts
4 photos

OK, thanks chaps, you've convinced me that a simple dog clutch is probably the best way to go. The diagram just posted by Michael (thanks!) shows quite clearly how one can be made to work and I'm sure it could easily be operated by some sort of solenoid. Will wait until the parts arrive that I've ordered and then get my thinking cap on.

JasonB25/10/2016 12:06:51
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

Although a dogclutch should work in the slotted leadscxrew end of the X2 and X3 neither my feed or Neil's similar one use the slot as part of the clutch. We have a separate box containing a dog clutch, the output of which engages with the leadscrew and is operated by the simple turn of a knob. Usually needs a slight jiggle of the handwheel to ease the clutch into position as there is no syncromesh.

Paul Lousick25/10/2016 13:08:48
2276 forum posts
801 photos

I have a standard Seig power feed on the table of my SX3 mill which does not have a clutch.

When the direction lever is in either the forward or reverse position there is a lot of resistance when turning the handwheel but if it is in the neutral position the resistance is minimised. No problem moving the table 100mm or so by hand. But much quicker to use the power feed fast speed button for bigger distances than by hand. The latest power feed unit from Seig has an in built clutch.

Paul.

fizzy25/10/2016 13:19:35
1860 forum posts
121 photos

I recently tried this route but abandoned it as you need a pretty powerful motor and this would have made the unit too bulky for my liking..

JasonB25/10/2016 13:20:35
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

As Paul says the latest ones have a clutch unit pictured on the right, different clutch unit depending on machine but same drive unit.

dsc01184.jpg

This replaces the left hand leadscrew support and the output engages with the slot in the leadscrew

dsc01186.jpg

Edited By JasonB on 25/10/2016 13:21:58

Michael Gilligan25/10/2016 13:57:38
23121 forum posts
1360 photos
Posted by Gordon Tarling 1 on 25/10/2016 11:51:38:

OK, thanks chaps, you've convinced me that a simple dog clutch is probably the best way to go. The diagram just posted by Michael (thanks!) shows quite clearly how one can be made to work and I'm sure it could easily be operated by some sort of solenoid.

I have some photos of my 'Jason' leadscrew dog-clutch, but may not be able to access them for a few days.

I will add them to the album when I can.

It's a simple and effective mechanism, and you will see that it survives in the Cowells lathes. **LINK**

http://www.cowells.com/90me.htm

MichaelG.

Chris Shelton25/10/2016 14:15:22
92 forum posts
46 photos

It might be worth having a look at a series of four video's by Stefan Gotteswinter, describing making a power feed for a milling machine.

https://youtu.be/r2YGstZ5lrg

HTH

Gordon Tarling25/10/2016 16:44:29
185 forum posts
4 photos

I'm hoping that the motor I have ordered is going to have enough torque - if it hasn't, I'll look for another.

Michael - your assistance is appreciated - it's all good info!

Chris - those Stefan Gotteswinter videos are VERY helpful and I'll probably cobble mine together around that .design.

Thanks again chaps!

Michael Gilligan25/10/2016 19:34:35
23121 forum posts
1360 photos

Gordon,

I've managed to load the photos today ...

Run through them in sequence, and it's almost animated.

... Should give you a good idea of how it works.

MichaelG.

Paul Lousick26/10/2016 03:40:52
2276 forum posts
801 photos

WARNING

The end travel limit switchs on the Seig power feed units are a simple (won't say cheap) arrangement comprising 2 small swithces in a plastic box with 2 small push buttons. One on each side which are triggered wnen the table reaches full stroke. This has worked effectively for a number of years and have only had to change one of the switches costing a few dollars.

Recently I removed the power unit from the mill table and the X- and Y-slide to give them a good clean and inspection. At assembly I bolted the power unit to the end of the table and powerred it up to check if it would run before mounting the limit switches. Feed in both directions OK.

When I attached the limit switch unit to the front of the mill I got a small electric tingle from the outside of the plastic box. On inspection discoverred that the inside of the box was oily and was conducting a current to the outside. This short had not tripped my earth leakage breaker on the house power supply but measured 10 M ohm resistance to the active terminal on the power plug.

A reminder that oil, water and electricity can be trouble.

Paul.

Edited By Paul Lousick on 26/10/2016 03:41:49

Michael Cox 126/10/2016 08:06:25
555 forum posts
27 photos

Hi Gordon,

I have made a power feed for my sx1 mill. This has, I think, the same milling table as your mill.

Mine has simple sliding dog clutch which has proved reliable. Further details are here:

http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/mill-power-feed

This might give you some ideas.

Mike

Matthew Reed26/10/2016 08:27:18
41 forum posts

Morning all,

I may have missed something here, but who sells this conversion kit in the U.K.?

Matthew

Neil Wyatt26/10/2016 08:54:16
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles
Posted by JasonB on 25/10/2016 12:06:51:

Although a dogclutch should work in the slotted leadscxrew end of the X2 and X3 neither my feed or Neil's similar one use the slot as part of the clutch. We have a separate box containing a dog clutch, the output of which engages with the leadscrew and is operated by the simple turn of a knob. Usually needs a slight jiggle of the handwheel to ease the clutch into position as there is no syncromesh.

Mine does! There's a bronze sleeve with a crosspin, and when you turn the clutch knob the shaft slides out and the pin engages with the slot in the leadscrew.

The mechanism is essentially the same as the Jason (lathe) except its the slot and pin are internal not external.

Neil

Douglas Johnston26/10/2016 09:26:49
814 forum posts
36 photos

​Simple dog clutch with lever operation fitted to a Myford VMB mill (with side plates removed to see inside ). This arrangement has worked well for a few years. I used a decent sized stepper motor and controller which has more than enough power for the job.
dscn0794.jpgdscn0795.jpg

Ketan Swali26/10/2016 12:41:27
1481 forum posts
149 photos
Posted by Matthew Reed on 26/10/2016 08:27:18:

Morning all,

I may have missed something here, but who sells this conversion kit in the U.K.?

Matthew

Matthew,

Neil and Jason are working with power feeds which have been offered to us - ARC by SIEG. Based on past experience, ARC has so far kept out of placing power feeds on the market. There are pluses and minuses with the latest offering which Neil and Jason are using. So far they have been using these for between four to six months. As they stand, ARC is reluctant to introduce them. However, a competitor may introduce them, or you might be able to import it from LMS in USA in due course.... should you wish to take the risk!

Traditionally, these power feeds are too fast at the lowest speed. Several passes with lower depths of cuts would be required, depending on material being milled. This would still be okay, provided such a message could be communicated to the user.

More then 50% of users are new to the hobby, new to the idea of milling, with limited understanding. So, probability of 'breaking' a tool, damaging the material, or the power feed unit for such customers is high. This issue has never been addressed by any seller!.

A good percentage of the previous model failed within six months of use. Why? - was it a user related issue as mentioned above, or was it component failure?.... So, before ARC invests in this product for sale, we have asked Neil and Jason - who are experienced users to put the units on their machines, and see if they still work after a years use.

These units are expensive at over £350.00 (inc.vat) and ultimately ARC has to hold the can when it comes to 'issues'. We are unable to get away with availing our responsibilities as would be the case on direct component imports through fleabay for example. Nor could we say that this is a 'Maker Project' to excuse our responsibilities teeth 2

Ketan at ARC

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate