Lathe paint

What to use

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Skel24/10/2015 23:17:22
12 forum posts
4 photos

Hi Everyone.

I'm new on here and this is my first post so greetings to everyone.

I'm about to paint my Harrison M300 lathe and I'm wondering what the best stuff to use is ?

I'm planning on brush painting it.

Its the model with the white top and battleship grey base.

It needs to be a satin finish and be oil and coolant proof.

Any ideas ?

Cheers.

Skel

clogs25/10/2015 07:20:04
630 forum posts
12 photos

Hi Jon, welcome on board.....u'll have load's of fun.....clever lot these members....funny as well....

I always used a good quality brushing machine enamel, loads'a colors and finishes but they are not generally available....

look 4 a paint manufacturer like Michel-Guest...(I think, been around 4 years), they'll tell u where to get it......

but they still post........I think......

I've not used any for a while, suppose they will not b as good due 2 the Elf n safti mob removing all the good stuff....

But u never know......

wish u luck....

Gray6225/10/2015 07:30:35
1058 forum posts
16 photos

Hi Jon,

Try Stationaryengineparts, they do a good range of paint and some specific machinery colours. I bought some Warco Green from them and its a good match. They can also match to a RAL paint code

Neil Wyatt25/10/2015 08:55:58
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles

Welcome Jon,

Take/post a paint chip to a place that mixes coach pant for a perfect match and excellent finish.

This place appears to be £37 + £9.95 to match it for 2 litres of two pack, but I'm sure they will do brushing enamel (and if they won't someone else will).

www.autopaintsbrighton.co.uk/custom-hand-matched-vehicle-car-paint-matched-to-sample-prices-from-46-p.asp

Phil Whitley25/10/2015 09:44:17
1533 forum posts
147 photos

I use Tractol machinery enamel, available at all agricultural engineers and country stores, here is my Harrison mill in a delightfull shade of John Deere green, which is the colour it was when i go it, much cheaper than the special lathe paint (lols) being flogged to purists by some internet "enterprenuers". brushes or sprays really well, but needs to be sprayed in a warm atmosphere or it may run. There is also a huge range of colours in commercial transport paint which is a polyurethane synthetic enamel which is virtuall oil proof when fully cured, and is very hard wearing. find a local spray shop suppliers (paint wholesalers), and pop in for a chat!

Phil

Robbo25/10/2015 09:50:48
1504 forum posts
142 photos

Tractol single pack machinery enamel from Smith & Allan in Darlington Co. Durham.

Brushes out to a smooth finish.

www.smithandallan.com 

Edited By Robbo on 25/10/2015 09:52:17

Edited By Robbo on 25/10/2015 09:53:23

frank brown25/10/2015 14:49:09
436 forum posts
5 photos

Hi Robbo, your link is labelled correctly " smithandallan.com", the HTML behind it says "smithand allan. co.uk" . Just a warning to others, what going on?

I looked at the site cos' I am thinking of painting my lathe. Tractol is £9.99 /l unfortunately the colours are numeric without a colour chart. Shall i just order a number 6 and see what appears? (Sweet and sour pork?)

Frank

JA25/10/2015 15:27:49
1605 forum posts
83 photos

When I rebuilt my first lathe, a pre-war Myford, I brush painted it with jappening enamel bought from B&Q. A number of bright colours were used. The finished survived seven or so years of good used well. I then sold it to a friend and bought a factory reconditioned Super 7. Its paint finish was no better, or one could say was as good as mine on the old Myford.

JA

KWIL25/10/2015 16:16:58
3681 forum posts
70 photos

Original Harrison paints were I believe Alkyd Resin based and RAL colours.

**LINK**

This link is for RAL 1013 Oyster White, you can move about the whites from there.

John Baguley25/10/2015 16:33:38
517 forum posts
57 photos

Another vote for Tractol. I got mine off Ebay as Smith and Allan have a shop on there. May be cheaper direct. Take care if you use the industrial etch primer as it's quite nasty stuff. You need to wear a mask and have plenty of ventillation. I got a very good finish just using a brush.

rebuild4.jpg

shaper4.jpg

John

Steve Pavey25/10/2015 18:25:53
369 forum posts
41 photos

Lifted from the Yahoo Harrison site:

"As I was unable to get anyone here (or on uk.rec.models.engineering) to

come up with a BS/RAL number for the M300 colours, I contacted the
Harrison customer support team. To my pleasant surprise, I got a very
prompt and helpful response from the sales team (to whom it was passed).
After clarification of the serial number*, the lathe was dated to 1977,
and the answer was (quote):

"The paint references at this time were RAL 26049/Q55/9 for the grey and
BS337/Q55/6 for the olive brown type colour"."

I assume the olive brown colour is what is used on the M series, and the grey on the earlier models.

KWIL25/10/2015 19:19:56
3681 forum posts
70 photos

The clue here is the Q55 part of the code, TRIMITE Paints coding.

HTH

Skel25/10/2015 19:56:11
12 forum posts
4 photos

Wow..

Choices choices.

After much deliberation I think I'm going to go for this one in semi gloss.

http://www.stationaryengineparts.com/BS4800-22-B-15-Pearl-grey-Swansdown.html

Its a later M300 than the vomit beige ones.

In fact, if I had a vomit beige one, I would strip it and paint it this colour.

Hopefully it will turn out ok, the original paint was textured but I'm not going for that as I think it makes it harder to keep clean.

I will post a photo when its done.

Thanks for all your help.

Skelly.

Kiwi Bloke01/11/2015 10:33:08
912 forum posts
3 photos

When I went round the Myford factory over a decade ago, they used Trimite 2-pack polyurethane, using all appropriate precautions for spraying nasty stuff like that. I got the impression that amateurs weren't considered capable of using such stuff safely, so couldn't easily get it.

However, the purpose of this post is to ask if anyone knows what type of paint, filler, primer, undercoat, etc. would have been used by English machine tool manufacturers in the 1950s-70s. I'd like to use a period finish on a couple of machines I must get around to restoring one of these days. Of course, getting stuff can be a bit of a challenge in this distant colony (no Tractol, as far as I know) - any Kiwis got any ideas about paint suppliers?

mark smith 2001/11/2015 11:43:50
682 forum posts
337 photos

p1260311.jpgI used the Paragon synthetic enamel in Boxford smoke grey from Stationery engine to do my South Bend..

Its quite nice if you can get it to brush out easily.. I found its highly dependent on the humidity and temp.etc.. when applying it. I was going to spray but my gun was broke. If the conditions are good it flattens well without brush marks.

I expected it to be a bit more forgiving though as its meant for brushing. The colour was a lot bluer than it looked on their website.

Rustoleum combicolour is easier to apply and is popular on American forums.

Edited By mark smith 20 on 01/11/2015 11:57:40

Skel15/12/2015 21:15:07
12 forum posts
4 photos

Hi everyone.

After some thought and reading all your comments I decided to paint my lathe with tractol white primer and then a top coat of some satin white called containerguard.

It all went quite well untill I decided that the satin white was crap so I sanded it off slightly and put two coats of slightly thinned tractol gloss white/grey on top of that.

I'm quite pleased with the result, it seems very durable, impervious to oil and suds and wipes clean.

Hopefully I have done the photo link properly so you can see my efforts.

lathe

Cheers.

Skel.

Edited By Skel on 15/12/2015 21:36:57

Mark Prickett 215/12/2015 21:53:21
75 forum posts
10 photos
Posted by John Baguley on 25/10/2015 16:33:38:

Another vote for Tractol. I got mine off Ebay as Smith and Allan have a shop on there. May be cheaper direct. Take care if you use the industrial etch primer as it's quite nasty stuff. You need to wear a mask and have plenty of ventillation. I got a very good finish just using a brush.

rebuild4.jpg

shaper4.jpg

John

Hi john , what colour is this , im liking it very much , thanks Mark.

John Baguley16/12/2015 00:42:28
517 forum posts
57 photos

Hi Mark,

Smith and Alan list it as Dark Grey BS632.

John

Mark Prickett 216/12/2015 06:11:18
75 forum posts
10 photos

Thankyou John.

john carruthers16/12/2015 08:04:56
617 forum posts
180 photos

Parsons still make their enamels, very tough and hard wearing, easy to apply with brush or spray.

**LINK**

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate