Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Source of Mid Green Hammerite Paint

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Chris Shelton02/08/2015 11:03:10
92 forum posts
46 photos

Hi All,

Can anyone suggest a source of a small amount of Hammerite Mid Green hammer finish paint.

It seem's that Hammerite no longer sell it, I have scoured the internet, but cannot find anyone selling it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Michael Gilligan02/08/2015 11:44:22
23121 forum posts
1360 photos

Sorry, Chis ... You will need to look out for old stock.

MichaelG.

Ian Parkin02/08/2015 12:31:19
1174 forum posts
303 photos

I've just been turning my workshop upside down to find 5 cans NOS that I had bought for a startrite machine

You would have been welcome to some of them but I fear I've thrown them

I bought them from a ebay seller a pack of 6 cans all sealed etc

however it had gone off it dried very metalic looking with the silver glitter coming to the surface and leaving a rough surface i stirred it to death but it made little difference

whether adding something may have made a difference

Ian

Michael Gilligan02/08/2015 12:36:36
23121 forum posts
1360 photos

Nice try, Ian star

For info. ... The original Hammerite needs a special Thinner ... Can't remember what chemical it is, but it's something now frowned-upon by HSE et al; which is why the paint was withdrawn a few years ago.

MichaelG.

Circlip02/08/2015 13:23:07
1723 forum posts

Thinners contains Xylene and also has a base smell of cellulose thinners. Warning on tins of Hammerite says contains Trichloroethylene.

Sadly, when Britain lost its manufacturing base, Maffs and Inglish became secondary curriculum subjects to David Beckhams hair styles, Nail care and killing electronic warriors.

We now have the situation where DIY stores (A new "Hobby" started in the late sixties/early seventies) are closing due to peoples lack of manual ability

Unfortunately, those of us who are able to read and comprehend the written word and who did a bit of Chemmy at school are penalised by the numpties who think solvents are for sniffing and despite being told the contrary that the "New" finishes are much better, can't get the old stuff.

Regards Ian.

PS., Hammerite is attacked by Suds.

Gordon W02/08/2015 13:30:48
2011 forum posts

Can't help with the colour, but the old hammerite did mix well, if you have some suitable colours you may get the correct green. For info'- black and white mix to a good aproximation to galvanised.

David Clark 102/08/2015 13:49:38
3357 forum posts
112 photos
10 articles

I purchased a can from b&q in the last 12 months. May still be available. They certainly have Buckingham green as well as dark green. Not sure if it is hammer finish. They do thinners as well.

NJH02/08/2015 17:28:36
2314 forum posts
139 photos

Loads of Hammerite for sale on ebay - I've  not looked for the colour you state - but it should keep you busy for a while!

Norman

Edited By NJH on 02/08/2015 17:29:19

Robbo02/08/2015 20:58:14
1504 forum posts
142 photos

"Loads of Hammerite on ebay" - but you won't find mid-green, I've been looking for ages. I did find some cream, which is another discontinued colour.

You might find something if you look in their range of garden or garage door paints.

Note that the modern thinners will not work on the "old" Hammerite, as all the nasties have been removed. Its just like cellulose thinners now"

Trevor Drabble02/08/2015 21:41:51
339 forum posts
7 photos

Chris, If you are interested , I have a brand new original unopened 500 ml tin , product code 6720902 of hammered mid green available . Not sure of situation regarding posting , so are you anywhere near South Yorkshire ? Also , will be going to Bristol ME Exhibition either on the Friday or Saturday.

Trevor.

Robbo02/08/2015 23:40:34
1504 forum posts
142 photos

Trevor,

Solvent based paints are on the Royal Mail prohibited list, but couriers will deliver them.

Trevor Drabble03/08/2015 10:10:00
339 forum posts
7 photos

Robbo, Oh dear ( !! ) . Thanks for the info , much appreciated .

Anthony Knights03/08/2015 13:02:12
681 forum posts
260 photos

drillstand.jpgbenchdrill-1.jpg

The above pictures show I have used Hammerite mid green paint in the past and I am extremely annoyed that it is no longer available. I did try mixing the dark green and white hammer finish paint to get something like the same colour to use on my tool grinder, but it came out the wrong colour and virtually no hammer finish. think I will see what the local car spares shop has in the metallic green spray paint.grinder3.jpg

Anthony Knights03/08/2015 13:03:01
681 forum posts
260 photos

drillstand.jpgbenchdrill-1.jpg

The above pictures show I have used Hammerite mid green paint in the past and I am extremely annoyed that it is no longer available. I did try mixing the dark green and white hammer finish paint to get something like the same colour to use on my tool grinder, but it came out the wrong colour and virtually no hammer finish. think I will see what the local car spares shop has in the metallic green spray paint.grinder3.jpg

Anthony Knights03/08/2015 13:05:37
681 forum posts
260 photos

sorry, double post

Neil Wyatt03/08/2015 13:22:02
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles

Am I alone in thinking hammer-finish hammerite always looks a bit yuk?

Try looking for 'sage green' I have some sage green textured hammerite (?) that has a sort of gritty finish but isn't far off that colour.

Neil

Chris Shelton03/08/2015 14:56:30
92 forum posts
46 photos

Thank you to everyone for taking the time to reply, and special thanks to Ian P for turning out his workshop.

I need the paint for a Simat 101 lathe, and would like to keep the colour original.

Trevor D I Live in Essex, unfortunately I am not going to the event in Bristol

I would like to purchase the paint from you, and will gladly pay any expense's incurred.

Many thanks

Chris

Edited By Chris Shelton on 03/08/2015 15:03:23

Michael Gilligan03/08/2015 15:23:55
23121 forum posts
1360 photos
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 03/08/2015 13:22:02:

Am I alone in thinking hammer-finish hammerite always looks a bit yuk?

It covers a multitude of sins though.

I even have some 'laboratory' weighing scales that have the plywood [!] base finished in Hammerite.

MichaelG.

Neil Wyatt03/08/2015 15:41:50
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles

> I even have some 'laboratory' weighing scales that have the plywood [!] base finished in Hammerite.

Now who would do such a thing

That's what the textured stuff is for!

Neil

GRinder

fizzy03/08/2015 18:37:02
1860 forum posts
121 photos

same colour as the dog when it gets out of the canal

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate