Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Diamond tool holder.??

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Nick_G08/11/2014 19:37:19
1808 forum posts
744 photos

Are they as good as is they say. i.e do they do 'what it says on the tin' or is it hype.?

Also what size of shank is recommended for 'model' engineering.? It's nice to have a chunky and sturdy holder but of little use if you cannot get it into the work.

Cheers, Nick

Metalmuncher08/11/2014 19:55:03
34 forum posts

Hi Nick, Yes they are good, but as I'm too tight to buy at the prices they want I made my own. It's not hard to make one if you have a mill. Keith.

Vic08/11/2014 20:05:09
3453 forum posts
23 photos

I've made several. They're good for basic turning and facing, easy to sharpen and HSS for them is inexpensive.

Easy to make as well, both angles are 12°.

mechman4808/11/2014 20:27:38
2947 forum posts
468 photos

Hi Nick, they are good, I splashed out for one & use it for about 98% of my machining needs, Brass, Steel, Aluminium, although you really need a chip breaker in the tool for this stuff as it comes off in long slivers.. very sharp! smile o so I tend to use a carbide or HSS bit with chip breakers in for Aluminium.

They come in 3 sizes... 8 - 9.5 - 12mm ( so it says in the advertising blurb ) so you can get on to suit all size machines, I got the 9.5mm for my machine & as said it's good albeit expensive, if you have a mill then you can make one, there is a thread on here that deals with these cutters & some have links to drawings to make one.

George

Vic08/11/2014 20:45:23
3453 forum posts
23 photos

This may be of help.

http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=85172&p=1

Michael Horner08/11/2014 20:45:40
229 forum posts
63 photos

Hi Nick

Have a go at building the Michael Cox one.

I use mine for ruffing and finishing cuts.

HTH

Cheers Michael.

Vic08/11/2014 21:07:01
3453 forum posts
23 photos

Lots of good links about them on the second page of this post:

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/showthread.php?t=22458

Nick_G08/11/2014 21:56:48
1808 forum posts
744 photos

Cheers folks. laugh

Nick

Barry Chamberlain 130/11/2014 12:33:03
18 forum posts
10 photos

Agree wholeheartedly with previous replies - I splashed out and bought both LH & RH versions plus the parting off tool ...... and apart from using a round shaping tool and boring bars they have been in permanent use since unpacked over 12 months ago. A really excellent tool choice and the expense side of things soon fades as you get to appreciate just how good they are.

One point is that the supplied sharpening jig leaves your fingers VERY close to the grindstone wheel, so I have manufactured a longer version. I also had to fit a spacer onto the grinder tool rest to bring the base of the tool sharpener in-line with the wheel centre line.

Buy, and enjoy the freedom and flexibility they offer.

Cheers Barry

Neil Wyatt30/11/2014 13:09:18
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles

I am going to try the Wimberley holder soon (when it arrives this side of the pond!)

It will be interesting to compare it with a tangential tool.

Neil

the artfull-codger30/11/2014 14:35:13
304 forum posts
28 photos
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 30/11/2014 13:09:18:

I am going to try the Wimberley holder soon (when it arrives this side of the pond!)

It will be interesting to compare it with a tangential tool.

Neil

OK Neil what's a Wimberly holder??, I have both lh & rh diamond tools and they'r great as above I use them for 90 percent of my work I bought 1 in ozz & the other by post & the customs stiffed me £20 !! that was before you could purchase them in this country.

Graham.

Dunc30/11/2014 15:51:45
139 forum posts

Have a look here: http://www.wimberley-tools.com/

In USA/Canada it is ~half the price of the diamond toolholder

I have not tried a Wimberely but will be making a diamond - on my long todo list.

Oh yes, the usual disclaimers.

Neil Wyatt30/11/2014 17:07:34
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles

I'll say more about the Wimberley when I have it in my greasy paw. Those who have one, speak highly of it.

Neil

ChrisH30/11/2014 17:48:00
1023 forum posts
30 photos

Picking up on this thread somewhat late in the day:

Vic, 12 deg. angles for the tool bit, what angle does the grinding jig have on the ones you have made?

Chris

Vic30/11/2014 18:59:32
3453 forum posts
23 photos

Hi Chris, 30° from the horizontal. Even for folks that have bought their toolholders I'd reccomend making the grinding jig. It's much nicer to use than the supplied one.

_Paul_30/11/2014 22:34:39
543 forum posts
31 photos

The Wimberley tool looks quite interesting but at a rather expensive $85 shipping to the UK plus the tool cost of $59 I'll wait or make one.

Paul

Barry Chamberlain 101/12/2014 09:34:55
18 forum posts
10 photos

Having just looked at the Wimberley holder manual the tool grinding procedure seems to be as intricate as for a regular cutting tool whereas the Diamond Tangential tool grinding procedure (AND alignment in the tool holder) is just so straightforward, achievable by anyone of any level of expertise, and more importantly - consistent.

Why not try both tools Neil and do a comparison in MEW? Think I know which tool will come out tops!!

Barry

Neil Wyatt01/12/2014 11:08:18
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles

Because I've made my very own tangential holder that fits my QCTP!

Neil

Vic01/12/2014 16:14:50
3453 forum posts
23 photos

Posted by Barry Chamberlain 1 on 01/12/2014 09:34:55:

Having just looked at the Wimberley holder manual the tool grinding procedure seems to be as intricate as for a regular cutting tool whereas the Diamond Tangential tool grinding procedure (AND alignment in the tool holder) is just so straightforward, achievable by anyone of any level of expertise, and more importantly - consistent.

Why not try both tools Neil and do a comparison in MEW? Think I know which tool will come out tops!!

Barry

I think you're right Barry. The Tangential tool is quick and foolproof when it comes to sharpening.

I've also made a height gauge specific for my Lathe as well so set up is very quick. Probably quicker than using a QCTP.

NJH01/12/2014 17:04:06
2314 forum posts
139 photos

You are right Vic in that the tangential tool is very easy to adjust for height. The essence the QCTP however is in the C hange part. Whilst I use the tangential tool for much of the time other tools are more tricky to get right. Once the boats are set up then tool changes are quick and easy.

Here is my little selection:-

qctp holders.jpg

Cheers

Norman

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate