By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for _Paul_

Here is a list of all the postings _Paul_ has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Bench Drills
29/01/2015 09:15:38

Some 20+ years ago I bought a "NuTool" 5 speed drill press....what a waste of money it must have had around 1/8" of play with the quill fully extended.

I see that most of the ones you see in B&Q & Wickes etc. all these years later still use that same basic "NuTool" design (and very similar castings).

I finally got around to doing something with the NuTool drill and put a slitting saw through the casting and fitted a pinch bolt which fixed the play but while cutting the slot in it I had a good chance to see how really poor quality the castings etc. were.

Once completed I gave it away to my old mate Jeff Harris who has used it for some years now.

This site shows quite well whats involved Drill Press Mods

Paul

Thread: Alba 1A shaper - my new little lady
28/01/2015 19:45:25

Nice job now get cutting some chips!

Paul

Thread: Spreadsheet Machinists Toolbox
26/01/2015 21:52:15
Posted by John Haine on 26/01/2015 20:52:59:

FSWizard ?

+1

Works great even on my old phone

FSWizard

Thread: Waterproofing a Roof?
18/01/2015 21:25:30

If you can dry the roof a bit there are some good repair paints, IMHO the main two are "Cromapol" & "Acrypol" neither though are particularly cheap, and are not what I would class as a permanent repair.

Paul

Thread: Granite surface table for £6.99
14/01/2015 17:33:05

They are quite good but had to buy two sets as SWMBO commandeered the first lot

Paul

Thread: Induction hob - any workshop uses?
04/01/2015 13:24:02

I have heard of these things being used as bearing heaters for when you need to warm one up to aid fitting...

Personally when changing spindle bearings I balance mine on a 60w bulb (elf & safety police do not respond)

Paul

Thread: cz metal bender
02/01/2015 22:43:40

Thank you Michael your'e a star

£42 with shipping from Frosts

02/01/2015 17:48:36
Posted by donkey on 16/12/2014 15:49:06:

Advertised today in the frost catalogue as a croz metal bender for £36.

Brian

Brian,

Where in the Frost Catalogue is it? I cant find it anywhere

Regards

Paul

Thread: Diamond tool holder.??
21/12/2014 14:11:21
Posted by Bazyle on 21/12/2014 13:43:45:

Paul - you are not legally obliged to have the sloping top to the tool so you can grind it flat topped if you like.

Bazyle, using the Eccentric Engineering supplied jig and instructions will only produce a sloping topped threading cutter, what do you use to produce a flat topped one? do you have some type of custom jig?

Paul

21/12/2014 03:12:25
Posted by chris stephens on 20/12/2014 23:47:14:Anyone else tried this tool for threading?

chriStephens

I have, I normally feed in using the compound set over to whatever angle the thread type dictates and it works fine but with two problems which stem from the quite steeply angled cutting face which make it difficult to line up the tool to the work using a conventional "thread gauge" and also the back face of the thread dosen't clean up so well as a flatter topped cutter when giving the final couple of "straight in" passes using the cross slide.

Does anyone else have a different threading technique when using one of these?

Paul

Thread: Bridgeport Milling Machine feed control module
14/12/2014 12:31:46

Clive,

Apologies for jumping on the bandwagon but I would love a copy of the Erskine controller circuit too

PM being sent.

Regards

Paul

Thread: ER32 Collet Prices
07/12/2014 23:20:03

Flying Fifer like you I thought they would be "carp" but surprisingly they aren't .... so as the price is low at the moment I ordered a second set... so then I now need something to put them in so made these:

Cut 2x blocks 25mm UHMW plastic shoved a 25mm drill through it 20x and then followed with a 32mm step drill which though not quite the right profile for the collet is close enough for a Sunday night.

Paul

06/12/2014 03:39:04

Seems to be a bit of an Ebay "price war" on the cost of these things at the moment with a set of 19 collets now available for as low as £33.98 ER32 Collets UK Supply just had a set delivered (in less than three days) and so far the one's I have checked the runout is less than 0.001.

Did have one bad one though, the 16mm (16-15) collet looks like it had been mis-machined the photos show the unground jaw segments,

looks like it might have been initially machined a little oversize not leaving enough metal to finish grind to the correct final size.

Given that the collets work out to less than £1.80 each I wasn't too concerned about one bad one but contacted their customer support anyway.

Sadly they couldn't replace the individual collet as they only ship these items as packs of 19 however the seller quickly resolved with a £5 refund for the individual collet.

I must add that it seems that despite being shipped from a UK address that their customer support is most definitely "offshore".

Paul

Thread: Need assistance in changing the chuck on a battery drill
02/12/2014 01:37:10

Not taken a Makita chuck off in years but all the cheap ones I have removed lately the locking screw has been left hand and the chuck right hand thread so they lock together.

Might have some thread locking compound on it perhaps?

Paul

Thread: Diamond tool holder.??
30/11/2014 22:34:39

The Wimberley tool looks quite interesting but at a rather expensive $85 shipping to the UK plus the tool cost of $59 I'll wait or make one.

Paul

Thread: Inverters
20/11/2014 03:36:13

On my 1954 M1 the motor was 415v (Star) only, I had to open it up and pick out the Star point in the windings to convert to 220v (Delta).

It now runs fine on a Teco 1HP invterter.

Is your Mitsubishi inverter 415 or 230v output?

Paul

Thread: Theft...
05/11/2014 15:25:33

Must have forgot to lock the workshop door last night...."they" popeed in and helped themselves to my very nice Worx Lion hammer drill/driver and the spare battery and the charger....also took my 240v DA sander....not noticed anything else yet..

Still they walked past a lot of other high value items... I imagine just settling on the items that can be quickly sold in the pub or exchanged for a few grams of whatever...

Police gave me a crime number and the SOCO has been but I don't hold out any hope of seeing them again, going to cost @ £150 to replace, and then having seen the contents of the workshop I have no doubt they will re-visit.

Ba$tard$

Thread: bridgeport j head
20/10/2014 01:40:02

Frank, found this site a while ago.

Paul

Thread: What did you do today? (2014)
13/10/2014 00:59:35
Posted by Evaldas Maminskas on 12/10/2014 11:35:47:

Nicely done, Sir. May I ask what metal it's made of?

Thank you for the compliment, they are made from EN1A (1213) mild steel.

12/10/2014 10:08:45

I never seem to have enough AXA toolholders... made another 3

Paul

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate