Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Risk Assessment

Please put discussion of Risk Assessements in Here

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Jon08/08/2016 16:44:55
1001 forum posts
49 photos

Valid points Ady just what I was thinking, common sense no dressing of the figures and creating jobs for the boys.
Manufacturing gone down more than 80% we don't produce in this country any more of course its gonna drop.

Only ever seen one risk assessment geeza that must be over 10 years ago. Luckily he saw reason nothing changed in half a century ie no guards on machines when showed no other way of doing it.

What statistic would the drilling rig above come under?
Lets see Norway non EU country sending to Malta an EU country came adrift in an exiting country.
Planet im on Mr Kyte is manufacturing was running 54% now sub 20% inc uitilities and gas extraction. What it means is were buying more than can afford, hence deficit!
Not a rant either Sam it answered your question.

Ajohnw08/08/2016 17:22:31
3631 forum posts
160 photos

I don't think that there is any need to bring in so called professional risk assessment people and in many respects HSE either. The main aspect of risk assessment is that some one does think about risk and documents it. The very fact that the subject has been mentioned will influence how people work. The docs are needed for legal reasons.

Statistics can be very misleading unless all possible factors are included. More companies now equip the people that work for them correctly and also often make sure that people make use of it. On the machine tool side few people would actually get in a CNC machine booth when it's running. At home we might disable interlocks of one sort or another. Unlikely to be allowed in a workplace except if essential.

devil Ladder training courses are likely to reduce the number of people who fall off them. There are a number of others just like that. In some cases the courses are a lot longer and might even need refreshers now and again.

John

-

Neil Wyatt08/08/2016 17:22:41
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles

In case anyone doubts me about agriculture, this is fatality rates per 100,000 employees averaged over several (recent) years:

temp.jpg

Interestingly the mining and quarrying figure isn't given as there were only 4 deaths in the five years surveyed.

temp1.jpg

www.hse.gov.uk/statistics/pdf/fatalinjuries.pdf

Neil

Ajohnw08/08/2016 18:05:32
3631 forum posts
160 photos

LOL the self employed have more drive to do what ever it is they did.

Not that this is funny really.

I needed a roofer some months back. He had been off work for about 6 months, bones mending. Normally he would go right up onto what is a rather high steep roof via ladders. This time he started going up and came down and said to me no scaffold. Turned a cheap job into a more expensive one. Really he aught to own a platform. A builder we had working on a window on the 3rd floor did exactly that but hired one.

John

-

Edited By Ajohnw on 08/08/2016 18:07:16

Ed Duffner08/08/2016 18:41:52
863 forum posts
104 photos

Um, excuse the flippant question, but how can you have a fractional or decimal fatality? cheeky

Ed.

duncan webster08/08/2016 18:51:18
5307 forum posts
83 photos
Posted by Ajohnw on 08/08/2016 17:22:31:

I don't think that there is any need to bring in so called professional risk assessment people and in many respects HSE either. The main aspect of risk assessment is that some one does think about risk and documents it. The very fact that the subject has been mentioned will influence how people work. The docs are needed for legal reasons.

Statistics can be very misleading unless all possible factors are included. More companies now equip the people that work for them correctly and also often make sure that people make use of it.

IMHO the last thing you should do is bring in professionals to write risk assessments. Not because I don't agree with RAs, I strongly support them, but they should be done by people who are familiar with the process involved and who will ultimately have to implement any improvements identified. If RA is imposed from outside it will be at best resented, at worst ignored. The law says we are all responsible for safety, employers and employees alike. For a straightforward task, the RA should be no more than 1 side of A4. Some of the telephone directory size documents I've seen in my working life were a waste of time and money, no-one would ever read them.

H&S laws are very rarely prescriptive, they require you to think about hazards, risks and consequences, and to mitigate those which are unacceptable. Some people are not prepared to accept that the risk of something happening is so low, or the consequences so small that no further action is needed, and this is when we get silly so called rules, blamed on the HSE

Nick Wheeler08/08/2016 19:14:05
1227 forum posts
101 photos
Posted by Martin Kyte on 08/08/2016 10:54:46:

My definitions.

Risk Management: Look before you leap.

Risk assessment: Some kind of documentation to prove you have looked.

I think you have those definitions back to front.

RAs are a common part of everyday life; it can be as simple as looking both ways before stepping off a curb, checking the temperature of the bath water before you get in, or ensuring that the cat isn't asleep on the top stair when you go for a piss at 03:00. Or at work: ensuring that the object you're about to pick up and carry across to the bench is manageable, secure and that the route is clear; checking that the scaffold you're expected to work on 5 storeys up is secure and properly built; or that you have the necessary PPE to use the chemicals that the job requires. A good RA ought to be a deliberate application of common sense and experience.

Ajohnw08/08/2016 19:51:10
3631 forum posts
160 photos
Posted by duncan webster on 08/08/2016 18:51:18:
Posted by Ajohnw on 08/08/2016 17:22:31:

Statistics can be very misleading unless all possible factors are included. More companies now equip the people that work for them correctly and also often make sure that people make use of it.

IMHO the last thing you should do is bring in professionals to write risk assessments. Not because I don't agree with RAs, I strongly support them, but they should be done by people who are familiar with the process involved and who will ultimately have to implement any improvements identified. If RA is imposed from outside it will be at best resented, at worst ignored. The law says we are all responsible for safety, employers and employees alike. For a straightforward task, the RA should be no more than 1 side of A4. Some of the telephone directory size documents I've seen in my working life were a waste of time and money, no-one would ever read them.

H&S laws are very rarely prescriptive, they require you to think about hazards, risks and consequences, and to mitigate those which are unacceptable. Some people are not prepared to accept that the risk of something happening is so low, or the consequences so small that no further action is needed, and this is when we get silly so called rules, blamed on the HSE

I my view Duncan it's a little crack pot to get some one who is not conversant with a particular task to do an RA. Where I have worked it's a function for the direct supervision probably with some discussion.

It's an interesting area broadly speaking. I once saw a survey of jobs in a pretty large factory. In essence it was looking for real jobs as against created ones. Most of the created ones, and there were a lot didn't offer enough work to keep some occupied. The conclusion on why this happens was put down to management - must get some on in to do something without much thought about the actual work content as against adding it some existing persons work load etc.

John

-

SillyOldDuffer08/08/2016 20:18:32
10668 forum posts
2415 photos
Posted by Jon on 08/08/2016 16:44:55:

Manufacturing gone down more than 80% we don't produce in this country any more of course its gonna drop.

Of course there's a conclusion to be drawn from that too. If the fatality rate dropped from 2.9 per 100000 in 1974 to 0.48 in 2015 because we stopped doing dangerous work then that work must have been, well, dangerous. Six times more dangerous than what we're doing now.

Bearing in mind that we're richer per capita compared with 1974, do we really want to return to the good old days? And if so, why?

Cheers,

Dave

bricky08/08/2016 20:34:49
627 forum posts
72 photos

When I started work 55 years ago I am sure that the factory acts were posted on most sites that I worked on.These covered health and safety of workers and expected people to have and use common sense.with the decline of industries I noticed a new industry emerging health and safety. Courses were being run at the local college to train for this growing industry.Having employed people in the building industry I was well aware of my responsibility to my employees.An apprentice of mine was due an assesment of H&S the assesor arived to find him working in a domestic kitchen,I was questioned as to why he was not wearing a high vis jacket and helmet and why I did not have a notice displayed on the kitchen door saying that it was a building site and was a hazard.Constructive criticism would have been welcomed .Jobsworth sprang to mind.These are the sort of people that get H & S a bad name.

Frank

martin perman08/08/2016 20:45:54
2095 forum posts
75 photos

I have to apply risk assessments every day but my biggest problem is the HS officer you will find on a building site, the company I work for sell very large industrial walk through washing machines and quite often we have to build a new machine before the building is completed otherwise it would be difficult to get it in, the site rules insist you have to wear gloves, have you ever tried to wire up a control panel with gloves on its very difficult to bloody impossible, our machines stand ten feet high and one site insisted we be connected to decelerators in case we fell off the top of the machine, he couldnt be convinced that if one of us fell off we would hit the ground long before the device would be able to slow us down.

Ladders on site are now almost totally banned unless there is absolutely no other way of doing the job, there is a catch 22, you cant use a ladder unless its tied off at the top so how do you climb the ladder to tie it off.

In my view there is safety and then there is pure back side covering.

Martin P

Howard Lewis08/08/2016 21:31:20
7227 forum posts
21 photos

We carry out risk assessments everyday. Those who don't tend to get run over, or cut themselves rather badly.

But shouldn't the HSE boys remove the doors from their offices, in case they trap their fingers? Also, No pens/pencils in case they stab themselves, and no computers because of the risk of R S I?

It all comes down to keeping a sense of proportion.

We should all use common sense, but looking at some of the pronouncements Common Sense isn' t that common anymore.

The danger with the box ticking culture is that it trains people not to think.

There are no signs warn drivers about the child about to run into the road without looking, so we keep aware of what is happening around us, and act accordingly.

So we all need to carry on doing our almost sub conscious risk assessments.

PLEASE don't bring the over zealous HSE culture into our hobby; just think what you are doing and act sensibly.

If you are not sure, DON'T until you have checked and taken advice, (Which is what this Forum provides so well)

In Industry HSE does not allow machinery to be operated solo; which is what we all do as a hobby.

(How many of us have a second person standing by in case of an accident?)

Howard

Ady109/08/2016 02:42:51
6137 forum posts
893 photos

Risk tolerance is far lower nowadays (apart from cycling IMO)

You couldn't see Portobello beach(Edinburgh) for the mass of bodies on a sunny summers day when I was a nipper. Meanwhile the sewerage works at the end of the beach happily pumped out poops, paper and rubbery things for thousands of us to swim around.

A few years ago they pumped out some raw sewerage by accident (2010ish) and there were Environmental Health dudes camped along the coastline for the entire day up to 3 miles away keeping people from going onto the beaches, lol. It was like an anthrax scare had happened

Ed Duffner09/08/2016 08:02:51
863 forum posts
104 photos

It used to be the same at Weston Super Mare, Ady. I remember swimming in brown water there in the 70's and thinking not too much of it because we just didn't know any different. The evolution of H&S awareness has come on a pace.

I was wondering recently how people feel about these mist coolants and if they could be detrimental to health, given they can be set to a fine mist and breathd in?

Ed.

Adrian Johnstone09/08/2016 08:36:51
34 forum posts

Apart from the effect of the decline in heavy manufacturing on these figures which I am sure is real, we ought to perhaps congratulate the construction industry which seems to have transformed its record. Historically, it was to be expected that bridge building and tunnel digging would lead to deaths - by one count the Forth Bridge claimed 78 lives (see **LINK**). These days construction has a very strong H&S regime which seems to have really worked.

Personally, I am pretty keen to live a long time in good health, not fade away in my forties racked by an industrial disease as my grandfather did, so I don't begrudge a bit of paperwork and a few jobsworths if it genuinely reduces the sum total of human misery.

Ajohnw09/08/2016 09:22:04
3631 forum posts
160 photos
Posted by Ed Duffner on 09/08/2016 08:02:51:

I was wondering recently how people feel about these mist coolants and if they could be detrimental to health, given they can be set to a fine mist and breathd in?

Ed.

When I had a lathe in the garage and other bits and pieces I used to douse things down with wd40 etc and spend a lot of time in there. I developed an odd cough that wouldn't seem to go away. Stopped using it and also minimised the use of oil and it did go away. I can only put this down to next to no ventilation and fumes.

There were several large Heller CNC machines at work. After some years some one noticed that the ceiling some 30ft odd high was coated in oil and dust. Goods inward was close by. more or less in the same area and for most of the year the rather large doors and loading bay area was completely open.

John

-

Clive India09/08/2016 09:24:25
277 forum posts

Always a subject to prompt a good response. I have little or no time for safety gurus because, in my experience, they tend to be blinkered people. That said, I have met good safety officers who are trying to get the job completed safely, rather than those who say the only safe way of doing things is not to do it at all.
But....
Risk assessments have merit in that at least someone at least looks at the task with an eye on the risk to safety and then looks at ways of reducing the risk. That must be good, if it is done conscienciously and viewed in the same way.
Generic risk assessments and those done by someone insulated from the real task do not work well.
The safety gurus make risk assessments seem complicated but they are really a very simple thing.

Neil is correct - agricultural accidents top the league. A hands-on industry which is diverse and large with much dangerous tooling. People work very hard, are under pressure to deliver and cut corners. They have little time available to go to seminars on safety. Compare this to desk jockeys who spend a high proportion of their time on wattless pursuits such as team building and focus groups. Ironically, office workers are unable to use a new chair until an instructor has shown them how to adjust it properly!!

Edited By Clive India on 09/08/2016 13:03:04

Michael Gilligan09/08/2016 09:34:36
23121 forum posts
1360 photos

Clive,

I will, if I may, quote one of your posts from a previous thread:

"Come on guys - it's a light innit - not as complicated as a hypervapotron.

Plug it in, if it works it lights up. If it don't - throw it away.

Is there anything more to be said?"

http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=116400&p=2

**LINK**

No personal offence intended ... But I think it highlights the need for Risk Assessment in the home workshop.

MichaelG.

SillyOldDuffer09/08/2016 10:17:40
10668 forum posts
2415 photos

Decided to have an old-fashioned quality shave this morning and didn't bother with any of that Health and Safety nonsense.

close_shave.jpg

Cheers,

Dave

Ady109/08/2016 10:36:04
6137 forum posts
893 photos

The safety thing I reckon I most lack is breathing filter stuff when cutting metal.

A fine metal dust can be seen hanging in the air in a powerful led light when machining metal, especially when I do work on any aluminium

I suppose it's no different from doing wood, just nowhere near as obvious.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate