By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ajohnw

Here is a list of all the postings Ajohnw has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Ebayer refused to sell to me - on their avoid list
24/01/2017 11:13:29

If it was they removed the 8mm almost immediately and then put it back.

I purposefully avoided mentioning the seller as all make mistakes at times. So if it was this one draw your own conclusions. I've made mine.

Just out of interest if some one does buy a recoil air line I would suggest both  this brand or at least this sort of listing.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PCL-Air-Line-Coil-AL10-/301568036129?hash=item4636db0d21:g:YjQAAOSwv0tVCuWe

It tells people exactly what they want to know when air flows though a pipe. That's why they are often listed that way but unfortunately not always on ebay. Just stating 1/4bsp gives a clue but it looks like that may be 5mm bore.

John

-

Edited By Ajohnw on 24/01/2017 11:21:04

Edited By Ajohnw on 24/01/2017 11:34:19

23/01/2017 23:15:19

surpriselaughMaybe it would be better to talk about holes in the head? Loose screws are more interesting though.

John

-

23/01/2017 19:57:45

I'm all for people who want to do that. Save getting replied from people who think they are clairvoyant for one.

John

-

23/01/2017 16:28:26

Try this ebay search and note that some give 2 figures. I can't be bothered to look for ones that don't use the recoil term. Some nothing at all.

**LINK**

More like CDNWTATA

Then try a real air fitting supplier.

winkLeave you to figure out what that means.

John

-

23/01/2017 16:15:50
Posted by martin perman on 23/01/2017 15:56:15:
A somebody who uses loads of pneumatic fittings I.e. push in fittings and nylon air tube it's all expressed by the bore of a fitting so an 8mm bore tee piece would use 8 mm OD nylon tube, when I connect to a mains airline the flexible pipe would be expressed as the pipes id so you would get a 8 mm OD barb fitting for the pipe.

Martin P

That last bit is exactly what I expected Martin. The BSP fitting on the end suggests a size but draper for instance do one with 1/4 bsp and 10mm bore.

If it just said 1/4 bsp fittings I would know what I should get. However this one said 1/4bsp and 8mm. That is available too. So if some one sees 1/4bsp and 8mm ......................

At the time it was the only one listed like that.

laughGood grief - me who picks arguments.

John

-

23/01/2017 15:19:49

Air line is usually sold by bore where else I have looked. I finished up with a 10mm one - 10mm bore.

1/4 bsp for instance isn't a 1/4 od.

I also bought a length of air hose - sold on bore. When I received it I measured the OD so that I could order some ear clips. No point them listing that as I need to know the size with a hose tail in it.

I only ever leave negative if it's justified. If I feel that it's a mistake I deal with it as such. Actually I left neutral on another item and pointed out why - had a thank you from the seller. I didn't leave negative because I knew from the listing that it might not work out. They needed to add more info rather than fits most which it wont.

I'll add one other point - they sell a lot of pneumatic fitting so are probably aware of how lines are usually sold.

John

-

Edited By Ajohnw on 23/01/2017 15:24:55

23/01/2017 14:45:41

I mentioned buying an 8mm air line that wasn't. For all I know it might have a 5mm bore, depends how thick the plastic is. Initially I thought make do but as I only bought it because it stated 8mm I thought no it's going back.

I left negative feedback along with some choice words before doing this. No contact after that but once it had been returned about 3 emails so far telling me how wonderful and honest they are and please with draw the feedback. I've just ignored them. I've bought several thousand things of ebay and have only been really annoyed 3 times plus a couple of mmmm's so I don't see why I should withdraw it. They still hadn't stated the bore last time I looked but had removed the 8mm.

frownAnyway. I found i needed one more bsp fitting and decided to order it off ebay this time. Found what I wanted and clicked buy it now and got the seller wont sell to you message. So just bought off some one else.

Maybe they are concerned about getting a number of them sent back. Can't help wondering.

laughI didn't even notice that I was buying off the same company.

John

-

Thread: ER32 Myford Collet Chuck
23/01/2017 14:29:22

I bought one of the one piece units that screw directly on rather than having sort of back plate fitting. My conclusion was that they hadn't aligned the register to the collet taper so the run out was pretty bad. Hard to be entirely sure why but the thread being of centre wouldn't help.

I do know from a long time ago that suppliers were having problems with that type and hoped that they had sorted them out.

The actual collet holder on the 2 piece ones are available from several sources including Arc. I wanted mine for milling on a DW.

John

-

Thread: Boxford
23/01/2017 13:20:40

I think that there may be some info on working on the apron on lathes co uk but under southbend. I've not looked at it so no idea how useful it is.

indecisionSome people strip the saddle when they first buy the machine and clean it up etc. Mine was a little sporadic but worked fine after the feed had been used a few times so I left it alone.

John

-

Thread: reducing backlash
23/01/2017 13:16:32

That sort of arrangement is usually called jam nuts. 2 nuts so that their distance can be spaced apart to set the back play.

Not that popular as people tend to account for backlash when they work and zero might be tough to achieve.

John

-

Thread: Online suppliers of M42 square HSS blanks please?
23/01/2017 13:08:57

Maybe too late but look in UK MSCdirect's monthly sales flyer. !0% cobalt is listed there. Also 5% and M2

If some one wants a large milling vice it might be worth a look as well.

John

=

Edited By Ajohnw on 23/01/2017 13:09:21

Thread: advice required
23/01/2017 10:29:32

I looked around at them a long time ago. Ideally one of the versions that had a large bore spindle. The only models I could find all had spindles running in cast iron and were all well used. It seems there are some that used phos bronze so could be replaced even though there is likely to be some spindle wear. Some of those are hardened. I've been down the runs in cast iron route several times on rather small lathes. Once worn it's not an easy thing to sort out and the wear spoils the alignment even if they can be adjusted. On one I bought I thought about taking it into work and reboring the bearings but decided to look for something with phos bronze bearings instead. As the ML's are too big for what I want that has taken a long time. I have seen some lathes where the bearings have been removed and a new larger diameter spindle made - probably on the lathe.

John

-

Thread: clarke cl430 lathe motor upgrade
22/01/2017 19:03:39
Posted by martin perman on 22/01/2017 16:16:00:

Gentlemen,

I have a CL500M and have measured the foot mount and the base of foot to the centre of the motor shaft and have got 112 mm x 90 mm pitch for the foot and 71 mm for the shaft centre which gives the motor a frame size of 71 which TEC sell for their 3/4 hp motor which is the one currently fitted as single phase, the only thing that confuses me is how many poles 2 or 4, TEC say 2 is ok.

Martin P

There are some people who sell these packages and push 2 pole motors and even state that a full speed range can be obtained via an inverter without any belt changing. True for speed but not for actual cutting power. In practice there are a less problems speeding a 4 pole motor up. There are various views on how far that can be taken.

John

-

Thread: Lathe advice please
22/01/2017 18:42:01

The Boxford VSL nearly gets there. 1 3/8" bore but 28" between centres. The big bore versions are usually fitted with a tapered spindle nose arrangement that is rather nice to use but it can be hard / expensive to find chucks etc to fit to it so one with chucks is the best answer. They do crop up now and again but do read their page on lathes.co.uk. They also have a knack of turning up ex workshop rather than places where the lathe may have been used all day every day for long periods. I think there is also a cam lock version but not totally sure. With this one you wont have centre heights that are probably well over what you need. It weighs about 300kg.

I suspect the OP's best bet is to see what's around and what equipment they come with and hopefully go and look and try them under power. Given the devious nature of one dealer I once bought a lathe off I usually take a decent tool and piece of metal with me. That type might be rare. Not sure. One produced an awful piece of metal and an even worse tool and claimed that they had nothing better.

There are lots of Harrisons and Colchesters about but other makes can turn up as well. This page can sometimes provide further information about them.

**LINK**

However talking not that much post WWII I know for a fact it's not entirely up to date. It would be difficult to keep track of all models some manufactures made as in some cases huge numbers were not sold. Colchester sold lots.

John

-

Edited By Ajohnw on 22/01/2017 18:43:38

21/01/2017 22:01:44
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 21/01/2017 21:50:41:
Posted by Ajohnw on 21/01/2017 20:36:31:

MG might note that the bore aspect was mentioned after I started to post. I went away for a while just after starting it. Not that an unusual thing for me to do.

Happy to believe you, John ... but remember:

I can't see when you started to post; only when you posted.

MichaelG.

winkI know Michael but it's something worth bearing in mind. Rather extreme but I have even gone out for a while mid post. Unlike some seem to think at times I don't spend all day sitting at this machine. There are certain times of the day when I have a look around but the time spent on here is extremely variable.

John

-

21/01/2017 21:26:55
Posted by JasonB on 21/01/2017 20:42:00:

Just read what I wrote above, twerp

"its the TR toolroom one that is the better spec"

Bit of a waste of time posting that.

Actually I was being a bit tongue in the cheek when I posted that one, thinking new and added the VSL as an after thought.

Really with questions like this size of work, budget and use is needed, Given that there will be a number of machines that would suite including many that wont even get a mention in real terms generally condition and if the accessories that may be needed are likely to be obtainable are the most important aspects. Also the fact that some machines that are available might come with all of them.

In this case imperial based screw cutting might be a good idea as well.

smiley Having shot a number of different types and ages I'm curious about which guns?

John

-

Thread: Replacement tailstock, sculpture or fabrication
21/01/2017 20:38:54
Posted by JasonB on 21/01/2017 07:25:09:
Posted by Ajohnw on 20/01/2017 21:40:41:

Black bar contains a lot less stress than bright drawn but would require machining before it's welded.

I don't think I even suggested machining before welding but anyway

-

I think you did John.

Good grief Jason - if I did it was for black bar. Which could be welded without but personally I wouldn't.

John

-

Thread: Lathe advice please
21/01/2017 20:36:31

I said TS if extreme alignment accuracy is needed Jason. There is a fair difference in price and several different specs of the other as well some of which would probably gobble up some of the differences. As I understand it TS means toolroom spec and the main difference apart from gearbox options that by the look of it can be applied to all of them is high precision bearings. On these models if screw cutting is needed it's best to note that there are options. Some need way more change wheels than others. I haven't seen an imperial version of this machine and that aspect might be important for easier screw cutting.

I think the cam lock VSL would meet the spindle bore needs as well. Lathe co uk should clear that up. The earlier one probably doesn't.

MG might note that the bore aspect was mentioned after I started to post. I went away for a while just after starting it. Not that an unusual thing for me to do.

blushPerhaps I have the TS wrong. I'd need to check.

John

-

21/01/2017 19:38:09

I assume the OP means 35mm clear bore too. However ?

If so maybe a modern Boxford with a bed length to suit or even a TS if extreme alignment accuracy is needed.

John

-

Edited By Ajohnw on 21/01/2017 19:40:03

Thread: Sealing BSP fittings
21/01/2017 16:49:24
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 21/01/2017 10:04:50:
Posted by Ian Phillips on 21/01/2017 09:53:46:
For the gauge problem, use a 'nut and nipple' or compression type fitting.

What a great name for a Pub ... 'The Nut and Nipple'

devil MichaelG.

The catalogue I used called them breakable joints. The half with no external nut has a hex hole through it.

It's also possible to get bsp lock nuts.from 1/8" bsp and up where I looked. They have a very comprehensive range of fittings so probably hard to find.

surpriseIn brass though the start at £0.88 each in 1/8" bsp getting to £1.58 at 1/2" bsp - and £4.75 at 1" bsp. The steel ones are much cheaper.

John

-

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate