Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Suds pump

pump

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Clive Hartland17/07/2012 13:56:26
2929 forum posts
41 photos

My Nephew works as an Air Conditioning engineer. Recently I was looking at some of his stuff and there was a little pump that pumps the condensation out of the overhead air conditioners.

Being a fluid pump running on 240V I thought it would make a verty nice suds pump. He had others that had integral reserviers but were a bit big for the purpose of suds pump, they were peristaltic type pumps.

Perhaps if you are looking for a suitable pump keep an eye open for a defunct air conditioner.

Clive

John Coates17/07/2012 17:52:43
558 forum posts
28 photos

good call Clive

I've got two brother-in-laws in the refrigeration and AC trade so I'll ask them to keep an eye out

Billy Mills17/07/2012 19:09:56
377 forum posts

Air conditioners produce a lot of condensate, often there is a small plastic sump with a magnetic float. When the float rises it operates a reed switch causing the pump to run. An old aircon pump may have issues, the silicone rubber peristaltic tube often is OK but it is plugged into a plastic pipe assembly which tends to break up after many years. You can fix the pump by replacing the plastic pipes with brass tube. The motor is normally a small shaded pole job with gearing down to around 100rpm. Regrease the gears and soak the shaft bushes for another ten years of life.

If you are in a DIY mode peristaltic pumps are easy to make if you can get some suitable silicone rubber tubing and a slow running motor. No valves, always self primes and will deal with all kinds of stuff that would jam other kinds of pumps.

(Have bodged quite a few aircon pumps, got fed up with paying silly money every time another old pump leak flooded the ceiling, refurbished all of them for less than the cost of one service call.)

Billy.

Speedy Builder517/07/2012 19:58:50
2878 forum posts
248 photos

Good call BUT, I used one with its pkastic resevoir for a couple of years before the peristaltic tube gave up as it was impregnated with small shards of metal. Replaced the tube and again it failed a year or two later. By the way, you have to do a bit of re-wiring of the float switches, but its not difficult.

You do need a realy good filter before the return pipe from the lathe / mill etc.

I now use a small indoor pond pump - but it doesn't have much of a head.

On the single phase lathe, I have a 3 phase dual voltage suds pump, running on 240v single phase. Connect live and neutral on two of the terminals, and a capacitor across the other two. Ok you loose 60% of the power, but there is heaps left for the pump.

Russell Eberhardt18/07/2012 16:27:31
2785 forum posts
87 photos

I use a windscreen washer pump. They are a gear pump and have a DC motor so the speed and thus the flow rate can be varied by adjusting the voltage. Been OK for about 8 years now.

Russell.

martin perman18/07/2012 18:16:17
2095 forum posts
75 photos

Gentlemen,

I service equipment using Perastaltic pumps which run for 6 seconds every 6 mins 24/7 365 days a year and the silicon tubes last at most eighteen months, if the pump is not used for a period of time the pressure from the rollers on the silicon causes the bore to stick together and they cant be recovered. I wouldnt use one for pumping suds.

Martin P

Billy Mills18/07/2012 19:47:38
377 forum posts

Martin, you didn't say what was being pumped. In our aircon application we have 20 pumps which have been used for over 14 years. They are pumping dust containing water. Four of the pumps are in a server room which runs 24/7. The building was empty for 18 months without the rollers moving. No tube issues at all. The tubes are thin walled, the roller pressure is just sufficient to close the tube.

Billy.

martin perman18/07/2012 20:40:59
2095 forum posts
75 photos

Billy,

Sorry should have said, one pump has a very weak mixture of Bicarbonate of Soda and water and the other is a very weak mixture of salt and water. The water can either be RO or city water depending on the customers needs and the tube wall thickness is 2.5mm.

Martin P

Stub Mandrel18/07/2012 21:16:06
4318 forum posts
291 photos
1 articles

I've got a preistatltic pump which, apart from a few blockages and sudden rushes has worked 100% for the last 50 years on the same tube. I'm hoping it's good for a few more decades yet.

Neil

Billy Mills18/07/2012 23:39:42
377 forum posts

God bless your colon Neil. I have had a couple of views inside mine and a bit of maintainance in the bore, so far so good. The pink tube is pretty clever but it is the weirdest thing when you watch a monitor displaying the trip through your own pump. Glad they clean the fibre optic tube between uses!

Just happened to see that Mike Cox had an article in MEW 181 Oct 2011 for a suds system- he used a windscreen washer pump.

Billy.

Anthony Knights18/07/2012 23:49:59
681 forum posts
260 photos

I have built a coolant system using a windscreen washer pump. The design was inspired by the Mike Cox article mentioned above.coolant pump

chris j19/07/2012 01:15:41
338 forum posts
17 photos

I used to keep Marine Fish in a previous life and there are a variety of submersable pumps and something called RO tubing. My guess is that suds can't be as toxic as salted water.

Here is a link you can use larger fittings if you want.

There are many small submersible pumps and switches in the aquarium section of ebay.

chris j19/07/2012 01:23:26
338 forum posts
17 photos

Submersible Pump

chris j19/07/2012 01:27:10
338 forum posts
17 photos

Float Switch

Clive Hartland19/07/2012 07:46:51
2929 forum posts
41 photos

Mention was made earlier about metal and detritus damaging pumps. All the suds pumps I have ever used have all had double bay sediment tanks where the raw suds with contaminants settles and wiers over into the small bay where the pump is situated.

It should be easy enough to make up a stainless filter baffle to catch a lot of the muck but it will clog up occasionally.

The pump I picked up was not peristaltic, it is gear driven and very small akin to a pump for an aireator in an aquarium.

My idea was just to pump up to a small header tank and then have a drip feed to the work.

Clive

Michael Gilligan19/07/2012 07:59:57
23121 forum posts
1360 photos

Inevitable I suppose ... but it's unfortunate that this thread and another recent one have not been cross-referenced in some way.

May I encourage everyone to do what I have just done; embed references to threads containing "prior knowledge".

MichaelG.

David Clark 119/07/2012 08:35:40
3357 forum posts
112 photos
10 articles

Hi There

I can combine threads if they are not too long.

(I can do long ones but each post has to be moved individually.)

What threads do you want combined?

regards David

Michael Gilligan19/07/2012 09:37:08
23121 forum posts
1360 photos

David,

Many thanks for the offer, but I doubt that you need to combine the threads.

I just happened to note the similarity, and though it worth inserting a reference.

MichaelG.

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 19/07/2012 09:38:59

Russell Eberhardt19/07/2012 16:14:05
2785 forum posts
87 photos
It should be easy enough to make up a stainless filter baffle to catch a lot of the muck but it will clog up occasionally.

These do the job well. At that price it's not worth the time to make one.

Russell.

Stub Mandrel16/03/2013 20:57:18
4318 forum posts
291 photos
1 articles

Oops! I linked to the wrong thread. the one I meant to link to is HERE

Its clear there ARE tubes that would have the required life:

"Another one claims "At a back pressure of 4 bar (60psi), this pump tube lasts over 1,000 hours with continuous use at 200rpm in a Watson-Marlow Bredel 700series pump. Under transfer conditions, it exhibits 18 times the life of silicone rubber tubing, and nearly twice the life of thermoplastic elastomer tubing with continuous pumping at 360rpm. The risk of premature tube rupture is significantly reduced"

These are tubes with strengtheing fibres, that's 3 years at 3 hours a day and high speed. Apparently the key to long life is avoiding over-compressing the tube.

Neil

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate