Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

TCT LATHE TOOLS

SHARPENING LATHE TOOLS

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

John Exley21/12/2010 12:15:13
10 forum posts
CAN ANY ONE ADVISE ME HOW TO SHARPEN TCT LATHE TOOLS I AM A COMPLETE NOVICE AS I BOUGHT MY SIEG C1 A WEEK AGO AND AM TRYING TO GATHER AS MUCH INFORMATION AS I CAN

REGARDS

JOHN 
Andrew Johnston21/12/2010 12:28:12
7061 forum posts
719 photos
Errr, not quite sure why there is a picture of my surface roughness measurement meter at the top of this post, pretty though it is!

John: By TCT I assume you mean tungsten carbide tipped, ie, a brazed tip? If that is so you'll need a silicon carbide grinding wheel (colloquially known as 'green grit'). If you just want to clean up the edges then a diamond 'hone' will be fine.

By the way, in forum speak all capitals is taken as shouting, and may be considered not quite cricket.

Regards,

Andrew
Ian S C21/12/2010 14:15:48
7468 forum posts
230 photos
With a new lathe, and just learning how to use it, I would stick to HSS tools, easy to sharpen on an ordenary grinder, and finished with an oil stone.  Hss is more foregiving than carbide, and you'll find that even after you know a little bit about lathe work, you'll still use the HSS quite a bit.  Ian S C
John Exley23/12/2010 10:44:59
10 forum posts
Thanks for your help Andrew I will try not to shout next time
regards John 
John Exley23/12/2010 10:46:56
10 forum posts
Thanks Ian have some Hss bits will play around with them see how i go
regards

John 
Paul Boscott23/12/2010 16:14:25
99 forum posts
21 photos
I recently bought "the diamond tool holder" and I can tell you it works very well ( see add half way down on the right) in my opinion its better than the tipped tools I have. and its so  easy to keep 100% sharp all the time providing you have a grinder. see the youtube video

Paul

I have not connection with the company other than beeing a satisfied customer
chris stephens24/12/2010 00:55:44
1049 forum posts
1 photos
Hi Paul,
Yet another convert, welcome  to the club. 
chriStephens 
Richard Edmonds10/04/2011 17:16:55
13 forum posts
Hi
Can somebody point me towards some good books to get me started with lathework. Last time I touched a Lathe was back in metalwork at school some forty years ago so I am well rusty. I want to eventually be able to turn steel tires for model railway wheels 12 - 20mm sizes. Thanks for any help and advice

Richard
Terryd10/04/2011 22:28:27
1946 forum posts
179 photos
Hi Richard,

You could start by signing up to the 'Boxford Users Forum' on Yahoo. You may not have such a lathe but there is much information in their 'file' section including the very useful 'Know Your Lathe' book which was supplied by Boxford with their machines. It is very useful in explaining all the processes involved in using a lathe in down to earth terms.

apart from that there is the Lathework Book in the 'Workshop Practice' series available cheaply on Amazon. after those look at 'Tool and Cutter Grinding' in the same series. Many more books are available from the Camden bookshop, see them online, and in local libraries.

Welcome to the learning process, I'm still learning after 50 years of lathe use, there are many experts worth listening to an the various forums. such as Maddmodder, HMEM and the 9 x 20 forum

There is a great deal of information, advice and camaraderie in the world of Amateur (and professional) machining (and quite a bit of usually good natured grumbling and disagreement) but don't get too Bogged down with Standards. Just enjoy the journey, hope that's a help,

Best regards

Terry
Richard Edmonds10/04/2011 22:57:39
13 forum posts
Thanks Terry, that seems to be what I need, just the stuff to learn basics without killing myself while doing so. I know a lot of this work is experience related but I need to get some confidence basic experience first.
I ought to apologise to everyone else though as it would appear that I put my original post in the wrong thread.
jomac11/04/2011 11:04:27
113 forum posts

Richard Hi, You may be lucky on the internet, Look for, Text book of turning, by Hercus lathes, Australia. I downloaded the earlier version a few years ago and its full of good lathe turning practices and an index of tables which you might find handy.

John Holloway.

Ian S C11/04/2011 12:10:29
7468 forum posts
230 photos
"The Amateur's Lathe" by Lawrence H. Sparey. "Introducing the Lathe" by Stan Bray. "Using The Small Lathe" by L.C. Mason. " How To Run A Lathe " South Bend Lathe Works. I also have a few other vintage text books. And a really basic one "Preparing For Lathe Work" Basic Trade Manual, prepared by the Department of Labour and Immigration (Aust Govt). Before the earthquakes in Christchurch I used to spend quite a bit of time in second hand book shops, but since the one in Febuary most of the best ones have been wiped out, and I'v only been into town once since then, so my book collecting is on hold.
Roderick Jenkins11/04/2011 12:48:11
2376 forum posts
800 photos
I've got 'em all! I think Len Mason's "Using The Small Lathe" is the best. By "small" he means up to 3 1/2" Myford size. It has recently been re-published by TEE.

Enjoy the journey.

Rod
Peter G. Shaw11/04/2011 15:46:19
1531 forum posts
44 photos
Hi,

I would suggest that Sparey is too advanced for a beginner, whilst Bray's "Introducing the Lathe" is perhaps too simple. Mason is, in my opinion, extremely good whilst "Know Your Lathe" book is good, but is aimed at Boxford lathe users. I have not seen the South Bend book, "How to Run a Lathe", so can't comment on it.

I would also not recommend Bradley's "The Amateurs Workshop". Again, I think it too advanced for beginners. Or his "Myford Series & Lathe Manual", unless that's what you have.

I would not recommend Bray's "Basic Lathework" in the Workshop Practice Series at all. In my opinion it is aimed at people who have absolutely no idea what a lathe can do: it is far too simplistic, and there are a lot of silly mistakes in it that should have been found well before it got anywhere near the printing stage.

I think possibly Hall's "Lathework: A complete course" in the Workshop Practice Series would be a good book as it aims to get a lathe owner from not knowing what to do through to being a reasonably accomplished turner.

For tool sharpening, try Hall's book "Tool and Cutter Sharpening", also in the Workshop Practice series.

As ever, I would strongly suggest using your Public Library to at least read the books before purchase: whilst the books are cheapish, the cost of a library loan request may just save you something if you don't like the book.

My apologies to all those who swear by the books I have not recommended.

Regards,

Peter G. Shaw

Richard Edmonds11/04/2011 19:49:03
13 forum posts
Thanks to all you guys for your input to my question. This is now very interesting to me as already there are different thoughts on what is good or not so good. What is great though is this forum where I know I will probably learn more from you experienced chaps than I will from looking at books even if it means lousing a few things up on the way. I am not totally inexperienced with machine tools just more or less not confident in my ability so I really should start at the basic end again and some of those books would be a good start.

Regards and thanks
Richard
Richard Edmonds11/04/2011 19:58:43
13 forum posts
Just to keep it going for a bit, I have two small cheap lathes at present, a peatol/taig and a clarke something or other than came from machine mart. What are your opinions for the ideal lathe for modelling in small scales such as 1:120 TT scale. I might as well start it right since I got this far.

Thanks again
ps sorry about this but are these questions ok on this thread about tool sharpening or should I start a new topic thread

Regards
Richard
Keith Long11/04/2011 20:04:54
883 forum posts
11 photos

Hi Richard

Might be an idea with this last question to start a new thread. Tony Jeffree is the man to ask about Peatol/Taigs, I'm sure they'd be more than capable to just about any work for TT scale loco and stock.

Keith

Terryd11/04/2011 22:15:25
1946 forum posts
179 photos
Posted by Richard Edmonds on 11/04/2011 19:58:43:
Just to keep it going for a bit, I have two small cheap lathes at present, a peatol/taig and a clarke something or other than came from machine mart. What are your opinions for the ideal lathe for modelling in small scales such as 1:120 TT scale. I might as well start it right since I got this far.

Thanks again
ps sorry about this but are these questions ok on this thread about tool sharpening or should I start a new topic thread

Regards
Richard

Hi Richard,

It is probably a good idea to start a new thread as interested users may not see your interest and posts on this thread. Also you might look and see if there are specific user forums such as the Boxford Users Form and the 9 x 20 user forum. Such a forum if it exists for the Peatol (as it probably does) will be able to answer more specific questions,

Best regards

Terry
Richard Parsons12/04/2011 04:40:52
645 forum posts
33 photos

I detest having grinders in my workshop. All that nasty grit which floats in the air, (especially from the green grit bauxite wheels) and gets onto the slide ways. I normally use a Water Stone for grinding.

One day I saw a builder cutting tiles with an angle grinder. The disk he was using was diamond plated. I nipped into my least favourite store and bought one with the finest grit size I could find. It was cheap and had a 6mm band of grit on each side. It was designed to cut on its narrow edge and flex slightly in use. I made a backing plate about 12mm thick to allow it to take side thrust. The whole thing is mounted in my tool grinder with an old permanent magnet and a vacuum cleaner pipe in the guard to take up the waste products. A quick rub up with a diamond hone/lap to take out the roughness left by the coarse grit and job done.

You have to be gentle with it as it is greedy, but it grinds HSS and Tungsten Carbide with ease. They cost 1/10 of a green grit wheel, are faster and from the dreaded ‘grit in the air’ point of view cleaner.
Ian S C12/04/2011 09:45:28
7468 forum posts
230 photos
Often as far as books go, its a case of what you can get, especially this end of the planet, most of the books are from the northern parts, and because they are a very small market, they rarely make it here.
Richard, I got one of those wheels a good while ago, cost $4NZ, must try it. ian S C

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate