Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

ME thread cutting

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Eric Cox25/03/2010 10:25:11
557 forum posts
38 photos
Are taps and dies commercially available to cut ME threads eg,5/16 x 40 tpi.?
Terryd25/03/2010 10:38:38
1946 forum posts
179 photos
several of the normal tools suppliers stock them e.g RDG see Here:

Best regards

Terryd
Stub Mandrel01/04/2010 20:50:20
4318 forum posts
291 photos
1 articles
Tracey Tools advertise in ME regularly (or did) and have keen prices.

Neil
Owen02/04/2010 22:15:43
26 forum posts
HI Eric
I bought a set of ME and a set of BSB from a regular advertiser of MEW because of the good prices. I am now in the position of having to buy again from somewhere else as the quality of those is so bad that they are unusable. The dies don't cut and the taps break. these tools are so bad that it calls into question the the very integrity of those who would sell such a thing and those who would advertise for them. You have been warned!
KWIL03/04/2010 11:19:31
3681 forum posts
70 photos
Buy from Tracy Tools, if on the odd occasion you have a problem they will replace it. I have dealt with them for many many years and can remember two instances.  As for breakages, the user is usually responsible!
Robert Foster04/04/2010 21:09:00
4 forum posts
I have used the taps and dies from regular ME advertisers and buy in large find their quality unaceptable i.e. typically dies cutting under size despite being at max spread in the holder. Taps are also lightly to cut oversize. I,m sure you will agree when relying on a purchased tool to finish of a job that has taken hours to make is most anoying. I have been advised to try taps and dies from a company called the tap and die company. I have purchased a set and although not cheap are supposed to be much better quality than the typical tools supplied by advertisers in MES. The web site is www.tapdie.com  
Owen05/04/2010 01:13:40
26 forum posts
Hi Robert
could you post a comment on these taps and dies when you have tried them out? I have to replace mine and This time I want to get some good ones.
Robert Foster05/04/2010 20:44:33
4 forum posts
Hi Owen,
I will certainly let you know how they are doing. I had the same problem as you and my first thought was Presto or similar but the cost was prohibitive. I will see how these perform and hope they will have solved the problem.

Regards,

Robert
Anthony Knights06/04/2010 01:28:37
681 forum posts
260 photos
I think you get what you pay for. I have 2 metric tap and die sets. One cost about £15 and the other £40. The dies in the cheaper set are extremely difficult to use and I have yet to successfuly cut a thread above 6mm diameter. The more expensive ones work well (and so they should). I have had a similar experience with a cheap twist drill set, which was so bad, I took it back and got a refund.
Owen06/04/2010 05:23:12
26 forum posts
Hi Anthony
Yes you get what you pay for indeed. I thought that since I don't use ME or British Brass much that I would buy a cheap set and then over time replace the ones I used more often with good ones. I use UNF and UNC mostly(I have to run off 20 #5-40x1/4 bolts tomorrow) and have gotten used to paying not alot of money for good HSS taps and Dies. I have absolutly no problem with these and was unprepared for how poor the cheap ones were. of course cheap was still more then what I pay for unified. This time I will be more cautious and try to buy good ones the problem for me is that I have to replace more and quicker than I had anticipated.
Hi Robert
I will appreciate any comments you have,thanks
Owen

Edited By Owen Hanam on 06/04/2010 05:25:04

Ian S C06/04/2010 10:16:37
7468 forum posts
230 photos
Like Owen I use mainly unf/unc, and some metric, I buy as needed, but I'm frustrated by often not being able to buy dies with splits, more and more the dies we get here are solid- virtually round die nuts. I have split a few of them with a cutting wheel in the Dremel. Ian S C

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate