Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Time to call it a day

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ramon Wilson03/07/2023 16:20:13
1655 forum posts
617 photos

Hi Guys, some of you may recall that as i approach my eighties I have alluded on occasion to disposing of my workshop.

After a lot of thought however, whilst I am certain that there will be no more model engineering projects after the Marine Engine, I have decided to keep the lathe and my trusty old Linley mill a while longer. I intend to revamp the workshop into a smaller area and utilise the space gained for other matters and will, instead, concentrate on my other passion, that of plastic modelling.

This means there is a little used mill to dispose of. It's an Amadeal WMD30 LV and has seen little use since I bought it for my seventieth birthday (a bit of self indulgence I guess) It's extremely unlikely it will be used again and takes a fair degree of space that could be utilised for something else so its time to part with it.

Along with various tooling most unused it comes with a 5" vise with swivel base, a 4" tilting vise, an 8" rotary table (still as yet to be used) tilting angle plate, boring head, co-axial indicator and a fair number of used but serviceable cutters. The mill has a multi function digital readout and the table has been fitted with a Warco supplied table power feed unit.

I will put this in the for sale ads but as only one image can be used I have uploaded a fair number of images to my album headed Items for Sale so if anyone is interested in the package as a whole please take a look and contact me accordingly.

I should add perhaps that it is very much buyer collect and that at this stage I do not want to sell any item separately - please note the latter!

It's in good condition, never been abused or pushed and definitely no rust! The only real work its seen has been on the Corliss and marine engine builds.

Take a look and see if it's for you.

Best - Tug

PS I hope this is okay in this section Neil couldn't think where else to put it

Ady103/07/2023 16:57:58
6137 forum posts
893 photos

Always nice to see you post Ramon

If the brain is still going on all cylinders and the bank account healthy may I suggest a foray into small scale cnc work

You do the intelligent bit and the robot does the sweaty work bit

A small woodworking cnc will give you the bigger picture situation for not too much outlay, there are quite a few about nowadays

bernard towers03/07/2023 17:35:08
1221 forum posts
161 photos

Good to see you've changed your mind about a total clearout cos once their gone their gone!!!

larry phelan 103/07/2023 18:02:17
1346 forum posts
15 photos

Hi Ramon,

As I approached my 80,s, I thought much the same, but then I woke up !

80 is the new 60, so dont pack in in just yet. I just switched to dealing with smaller lumps of junk, and taking longer to deal with it. No-one noticed ! Now at 84, I have been "advised" to pack it in. I say, "sure, come back and see me sometime, about 10 years time "

The sound of a well tuned machine v the sound of a badly tuned wife, which is the winner ?

Answers on a postage stamp, please !

Just switch to stuff you feel you can handle, but dont give up.cheeky

Andrew Evans03/07/2023 20:32:30
366 forum posts
8 photos

Agreed, don't give up but change direction somehow so that it isn't physically as challenging. 3d printing?

Roderick Jenkins03/07/2023 22:05:56
2376 forum posts
800 photos

I don't think we need to worry about Tug keeping himself amused. He has other, very fine, strings to his bow:

Tug's plastic modelling album

Enjoy the future,

Rod

Ramon Wilson04/07/2023 07:42:42
1655 forum posts
617 photos

Thank you all for your kind thoughts and encouragement guys but it is as Rod alludes to.

I am not giving up (as in giving in!) but merely recognising at this point in my life I want to move on to something different. Disposing of my mill and revamping the workshop is part of that plan.

If you count Meccano I've been making models throughout my life since I was just on four years old - I have no intention of stopping now, just a different type of modelling that does not require certain 'kit' but does require some space which is something seriously lacking at the moment. The Amadeal mill takes a fair bit of it.

There's a lot of kit there for the money but I'm open to offers

Once again my thanks for your encouragement but please be assured I'm not out yetsmiley

Best - Tug

BOB BLACKSHAW04/07/2023 07:45:06
501 forum posts
132 photos

I have sent Tug few messages in the past for some advice on a engine I was making, never thought Tug was in his 80s, best wishes and keep going.

I would like to know the average age of the member's of this forum. My guess is 70, I'm 67.

Bob

Chris Crew04/07/2023 08:20:48
418 forum posts
15 photos

After a lifetime of collecting old British machine tools, some people collect stamps but I collected machine tools and attachments, mostly when it was almost being given away at auctions at a time traditional British engineering was dying. In fact, my wife at the time used to warn me that I couldn't save British industry alone. I know the time is fast approaching when it will all have to be disposed of, at least in fairness to my wife should she survive me, but it will break my heart to see it go. She tells me I never use it much these days, which is true because I never did, but just like for the stamp collector it is just the sheer pleasure of owning it, keeping it in order and pottering around it, women just don't understand!

At 70 I am into my eighth decade now but if 80 is supposed to be the new 60 it sure doesn't feel like it.

larry phelan 104/07/2023 08:30:32
1346 forum posts
15 photos

It,s all in the mind, Chris ! I too love collecting stuff, most of which I will never use, but it beats looking at TV !cheeky

KEITH BEAUMONT04/07/2023 10:16:16
213 forum posts
54 photos

That is i super set of models ,Tug, but think of all the dusting and space! Nothing wrong in having a change. I mostly gave up woodwork projects when I was 80,to return to making model I/C engines. I am in my 91st year and am frustrated at the moment because the workshop is banned, due to me having a Cataract removed ,last Friday.

Keith

Brian Baker 104/07/2023 13:04:25
229 forum posts
40 photos

Good luck with the sale Tug, and I think you have made a good choice for you.

I have gone the other way & have, at 80, decided to start another 71/4 loco, having finally finished the A4.

All the best for the future.

Regards

Brian B

Dr_GMJN04/07/2023 16:51:23
1602 forum posts
Posted by Ramon Wilson on 04/07/2023 07:42:42:

Thank you all for your kind thoughts and encouragement guys but it is as Rod alludes to.

I am not giving up (as in giving in!) but merely recognising at this point in my life I want to move on to something different. Disposing of my mill and revamping the workshop is part of that plan.

If you count Meccano I've been making models throughout my life since I was just on four years old - I have no intention of stopping now, just a different type of modelling that does not require certain 'kit' but does require some space which is something seriously lacking at the moment. The Amadeal mill takes a fair bit of it.

There's a lot of kit there for the money but I'm open to offers

Once again my thanks for your encouragement but please be assured I'm not out yetsmiley

Best - Tug

Are you sure you'll be happy only with plastic modelling? I also started making models (plastic) at around four years old, and I know I will always will build them to some standard or other. However, since starting model engineering a few years ago, I find I switch between the two (sometimes neither as well!). Very different disciplines, but attention to detail is the common requirement. Do you really need to sell your machine at this point? You might find you do want to continue after all. Your threads are informative and your advice is invaluable to a beginner like me (even if you think I'd be a "difficult apprentice"!). Whatever you decide, good luck, but I wouldn't rush into a decision. Cheers.

Roger Best04/07/2023 17:53:24
406 forum posts
56 photos

I think everyone who bought a small mill in the last year or so is wimpering now.

If my bench and shelves weren't built around my (smaller) machine I would be round tomorrow.

Good luck with the many projects Ramon

vic francis05/07/2023 02:06:09
125 forum posts
21 photos

Hi Tug, whatever you do just enjoy it, your Model Engineering is of the Highest Calibre , and your comments based on your extensive experience so please continue or the Forum would be at a loss.Whatever you make I there is always something to learn from it, and thanks for sharing.

Vic

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate