Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Road bridge weight limits.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
old mart23/04/2023 15:46:46
4655 forum posts
304 photos

The other day on my way to the museum, I was overtaken by 4 fire engines in full panic mode. They must have passed over the railway on bridges which were restricted in weight capacity. Do they have special dispensation to overload bridges?

Clive Foster23/04/2023 15:59:14
3630 forum posts
128 photos

Bridge and other civil engineering weight limits are generally very conservative. If the engineers have done the sums right and there are no issues with the underlying geology they are set for safe continuous use over many years even if the structure has sustained moderate, not yet noticed or repaired, damage. Theoretically considerably more than the usual engineering X3 fudge factor.

A few moderately excessive vehicles nipping over on occasion will be irrelevant. Especially if its one vehicle at a time.

Clive

Bazyle23/04/2023 16:05:41
6956 forum posts
229 photos

Nowadays you can bet several risk assessments have been made, two committees have discussed it several times and commissioned an in depth report from someone's brother-in-law and the drivers have been on a special 'Safe Bridge Crossing' course.

Bizibilder23/04/2023 17:43:13
173 forum posts
8 photos

A quick google (I must have nothing to do!! smiley  Shows the only available limits seem to be 7.5 t or 3 t. Therefore a bridge that would be safe for, say, a load of 20 t and would therefore no be strong enough for a 44ton lorry would still have to be restricted to 7.5 t.

Crazy system.

And i may well be wrong anyway.

Pete Rimmer23/04/2023 18:06:29
1486 forum posts
105 photos
Posted by old mart on 23/04/2023 15:46:46:

The other day on my way to the museum, I was overtaken by 4 fire engines in full panic mode. They must have passed over the railway on bridges which were restricted in weight capacity. Do they have special dispensation to overload bridges?

It all depends on the local TRO in force. It may, or may not exempt emergancy service vehicles (or it may only exempt them whilst responding to an actual emergency). Usually, unless the structures are in distress they are exempted.

This was an issue for Chertsey bridge IIRC where they imposed an18tonne weight restriction due to the bridge requiring strengthening work, but after the work was completed they kept the exemption in place to protect the bridge from damaging traffic but it didn't allow an exemption for emergency services.

vintage engineer23/04/2023 19:22:57
293 forum posts
1 photos

In South Africa when applied for permits to take abnormal loads on the roads. The rules when crossing a bridge was not accelerate, decelerate or brake as this lessened any damage to the structure.

If we were half way across and some idiot pulled onto the bridge you didn't stop you just pushed them back they way they came!

Neil Wyatt23/04/2023 19:52:27
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles

Yes.

Peter Greene23/04/2023 20:07:55
865 forum posts
12 photos

The other day on my way to the museum, I was overtaken by 4 fire engines in full panic mode. They must have passed over the railway on bridges which were restricted in weight capacity.

Maybe they toss coins for who goes over first.

devil

old mart23/04/2023 20:29:35
4655 forum posts
304 photos

Yes, if one fell onto the railway line it would certainly make the headlines.

Clive Hartland23/04/2023 22:03:21
2929 forum posts
41 photos

Most bridges will have a Military designation for what load it will carry. I have looked but at the moment cannot find details. tanks and heavy vehs would be routed to miss bridges that did meet the weight spec for 60 ton tank

Stuart Bridger23/04/2023 22:12:37
566 forum posts
31 photos

Newbridge (second oldest crossing over the Thames) had its rating reduced to 18 tonnes MGW after numberous HGVs were damaging the structure. The engineers calculated that one of the arches shouldn't support its own weight. The 13thC Bridge designers obviously knew better.

DMB23/04/2023 22:14:52
1585 forum posts
1 photos

Real road ballsup in Brighton. Council contractors remaking Western Rd into a fancy kerbless area and buses westbound only. 600+ eastbound bus journeys per day, diverted up Montpelier and into Upper North st then down Regent Hill and continue east along western Rd. The council suspended the 7.5t weight limit in Upper North st to allow this diversion. 600+ buses a day at around 11t+ empty but could have 70 passengers average 12stone (1.5cwt) = another 5+ tons! Result 2 busted water mains and one gad main. So, close road fro Repairs and buses continue North to 7 dials roundabout and work their way around more narrow back streets to top of Regent Hill. I believe this crazy arrangement will still be in operation til sometime next year. In the meantime the road workers appear to be acting like it's a casual hobby. Over 16 tons on a previously 7.5t limit road?

old mart24/04/2023 15:23:19
4655 forum posts
304 photos

I have seen double decker busses going over these bridges, I had no idea how heavy they were.

Justin Thyme24/04/2023 16:26:54
72 forum posts
Posted by Bizibilder on 23/04/2023 17:43:13:

A quick google (I must have nothing to do!! smiley Shows the only available limits seem to be 7.5 t or 3 t. Therefore a bridge that would be safe for, say, a load of 20 t and would therefore no be strong enough for a 44ton lorry would still have to be restricted to 7.5 t.

Crazy system.

And i may well be wrong anyway.

a picture paints a thousand words

https://goo.gl/maps/DhJpiwZYXT5JXq257

but this is such  small bridge, an artic running at 44t could not get all its axles on the bridge in one go.

Edited By Justin Thyme on 24/04/2023 16:29:50

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate