Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Silver soldering

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
BOB BLACKSHAW21/12/2022 08:48:07
501 forum posts
132 photos

I've tried to silver solder a steel Bush to steel several times but it will not take. I've silver soldered up three copper boilers with no problems at all, also brass to brass so have a basic idea of silver soldering.

The items were cleaned with meths and made sure they are clean, used the powder flux to paste, heated the under side until the flux took a watery look, applied the rod, but just balls of solder and would not take. I also tried different flames, slow heat, and a higher heat.

I've took it apart for another go as I have more steel to steel to do , the only thing I'm thinking is meths the best degreaser.

Bob

Hopper21/12/2022 09:05:32
7881 forum posts
397 photos

I have never found meths to be a particularly good degreaser. I had assumed it was, then left a couple of small ball bearings soaking in it overnight to get the grease out of the bearings and found it made no impact at all on the grease. Surprising, but since then have tried meths on various other bike bits and found it does not degrease particularly wellat all.

You might be better to use spray can brake cleaner from the auto parts store. It leaves no residue and it does a very good job of getting rid of grease, finger marks, oil etc etc.

Or petrol.

If still trouble, you might call the guys at CupAlloy. They seem to be the experts and very helpful on model engineer stuff.

Mike Hurley21/12/2022 09:22:44
530 forum posts
89 photos

Tend to agree with Hopper re: Meths. Brake cleaner or pure Acetone is much better. As you've sucessfuly SS before, your technique is probably fine, may be a dumb question (but we all miss the glaringly obvious sometimes!) what you're attempting to solder the bush to is ordinary steel and not stainless?

all the best Mike

Dave Halford21/12/2022 09:47:22
2536 forum posts
24 photos

I've found steel takes way more time heating compared to copper. The skin is hot but the inside is not.

Having heated the work up once already all the oil has gone so if that was the issue the 2nd heating of the de blacked steel would have worked.

Suggest you use a scrap piece and heat the steel to a brighter red till the solder flows and note the colour required.

ega21/12/2022 10:18:54
2805 forum posts
219 photos

On the degreasing point, I use and recommend an acetone/ethanol product called Holdtite A061; this is intended for parts to be bonded rather than soldered, however.

I have some surgical spirit left over from my cycle racing days and used it recently for degreasing with apparent success. Does anyone know how this compares to meths?

PS from brazing ignoramus: why not use a brass-based rod rather than silver?

Edited By ega on 21/12/2022 10:20:08

noel shelley21/12/2022 10:22:45
2308 forum posts
33 photos

You may need high temperature flux eg HT5 ? I would never use meths as a degreaser, acetone or brake cleaner. Is the steel free cutting or stainless? Not enough heat to flow ? Noel.

Perko721/12/2022 10:44:51
452 forum posts
35 photos

I've silver soldered lots of steel bits over the years and have nearly always used emery paper followed by warm soapy water and a stiff brush as the final cleaning regime before soldering and never had any trouble. Agree also that you need considerable more heat for steel than non-ferrous metals, and need to apply it quickly before you burn off all the flux.

Ramon Wilson21/12/2022 10:45:25
1655 forum posts
617 photos

Bob - if the steel is of the leaded free cutting type you may find that is the problem.

You should have no issues with silver soldering mild steel generally but the leaded versions can prove problematic.

Strangely enough I have a piece of unknownium 'brass' that simply will not silver solder at all. I have no idea of its heritage but the solder, as in your experience, just sits in balls on it no matter what the approach. Takes soft solder without issue though.

Best - Tug

Edited By Ramon Wilson on 21/12/2022 10:46:37

martin haysom21/12/2022 11:45:35
165 forum posts

are you using the right flux there many different fluxes for different metals even stainless steel is easy with the right one. sadly i can not give you any names as i am not at work now

Hopper21/12/2022 11:53:57
7881 forum posts
397 photos
Posted by Ramon Wilson on 21/12/2022 10:45:25:

Bob - if the steel is of the leaded free cutting type you may find that is the problem.

You should have no issues with silver soldering mild steel generally but the leaded versions can prove problematic.

Strangely enough I have a piece of unknownium 'brass' that simply will not silver solder at all. I have no idea of its heritage but the solder, as in your experience, just sits in balls on it no matter what the approach. Takes soft solder without issue though.

Best - Tug

Edited By Ramon Wilson on 21/12/2022 10:46:37

Could be leaded bronze? (LG2, SAE 660 etc.)

J Hancock21/12/2022 12:28:57
869 forum posts

As the man from JM will tell you, let the flux do the cleaning !

Much more likely the steel is leaded , as others have said.

Hopper21/12/2022 12:38:31
7881 forum posts
397 photos
Posted by ega on 21/12/2022 10:18:54:

I have some surgical spirit left over from my cycle racing days and used it recently for degreasing with apparent success. Does anyone know how this compares to meths?

Most likely it is isopropyl alcohol based. Meths is ethyl alcohol based, with nasties such as methyl alcohol mixed in to make it undrinkabe. (Shame.)

JasonB21/12/2022 12:58:56
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

How large are the bits of steel and what is the heat output of your burner? Quite possible you are taking too long to get it upto temp and by then the flux is exhausted. Bigger burner or HT5 flux will help.

Unless you have had the part swimming in grease and oil the flux should remove any small traces just make sure the surface is bright not rusty or oxidised from previous attempts

Ramon Wilson21/12/2022 13:14:06
1655 forum posts
617 photos
Posted by Hopper on 21/12/2022 11:53:57:

Could be leaded bronze? (LG2, SAE 660 etc.)

I don't think so Hopper, - I've used quite a variety of brass and bronze over the years but whilst this has the appearance of a yellow bronze and machines as such soldering is a completely different matter to all the others. I don't recall it's source so it could be anything but leaded 'it aint' as they say - too hard for that.

Theres not much of it but it's clearly marked as such - no point in using it again only to realise later which is how I discovered it in the first placefrown

Best - Tug

ega21/12/2022 13:57:54
2805 forum posts
219 photos
Posted by Hopper on 21/12/2022 12:38:31:
Posted by ega on 21/12/2022 10:18:54:

Most likely it is isopropyl alcohol based. Meths is ethyl alcohol based, with nasties such as methyl alcohol mixed in to make it undrinkabe. (Shame.)

Thanks, Hopper.

Nigel Bennett21/12/2022 14:12:35
500 forum posts
31 photos

I would never dream of silver-soldering ferrous alloys with anything other than HT5 or JM Tenacity No.5 as a flux. Ordinary Easy-Flo flux just doesn't cut it with steel. I just use water to wet the flux. Cleanliness of the steel is obligatory if you want a good joint.

File Handle21/12/2022 15:00:35
250 forum posts
Posted by Hopper on 21/12/2022 12:38:31:

Or rather it is not purified so contains metanol as a contaminant, hence cheaper than when more highly purified, hence dyed to deter drinking.

ALAN MOORE 521/12/2022 16:07:47
10 forum posts

Quick search of 'Surgical Spirit' (site:.uk) gives 'Methyl Salicylate, Castor Oil, Diethyl Phthalate and Industrial Methylated Spirit' so worse than ordinary meths for de-greasing because it contains castor oil already.

I generally use soap and water and dry off in the oven or with heat gun. Start off with white spirit for very greasy jobs.

Brian Baker 121/12/2022 16:22:27
229 forum posts
40 photos

Seasons Greetings Tug,

I once had the same problem with a piece of Manganese Bronze, which would not take silver solder, difficult to machine as well.

Regards

Brian B

Bill Phinn21/12/2022 17:54:33
1076 forum posts
129 photos

Bob, can you upload a picture showing what you're trying to solder to what, with what torch and in what micro-environment?

I've successfully silver soldered quite a bit of mild steel, stainless steel and cast iron using just Easy-flo flux and either Silverflo 55 or a similar silver solder.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate