By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Emergency Radio Format

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Jon Lawes03/05/2022 11:59:38
1078 forum posts

Very much a Tea Room Thread as it isn't model engineering, but I figured it would have more potential experts than most of the forums I visit.

While Idly browsing some data on the contents of American survivalists stashes I notice they often have a small radio for receiving emergency broadcasts from the government. In the UK I think we used to use AM radios for this, but suspect its all FM now.

What has happened to the UK emergency radio transmissions now that Digital is replacing analog radio? Has that shifted over too, or is it running in parallel with Analog transmission?

After a brief search I found some documents discussing and making recomendations to the government on the issue but nothing actually concrete.

To précis, If the sirens went, what kind of radio should I take down to my shelter to listen for the All Clear?

(I don't have a bunker, most sirens went away for scrap long ago, this is all out of interest!).

Martin W03/05/2022 12:46:39
940 forum posts
30 photos

Jon

Have you seen this announcement from uk.gov?

Martin

Mark Rand03/05/2022 13:03:25
1505 forum posts
56 photos

In the UK it never was analog. It was analogue.

cheeky

V8Eng03/05/2022 13:27:28
1826 forum posts
1 photos

As a former colleague used to remark when the danger of nuclear war was mentioned “The best thing to do would be get as close as possible to an actual explosion”.

Thinking of possible long term consequences that might be more sensible than going into a bunker.

Edited By V8Eng on 03/05/2022 13:32:50

John Haine03/05/2022 14:26:11
5563 forum posts
322 photos

Except now it will be digital! The US has had this emergency alerting via mobile for quite a while.

duncan webster03/05/2022 14:38:28
5307 forum posts
83 photos
Posted by John Haine on 03/05/2022 14:26:11:

Except now it will be digital! The US has had this emergency alerting via mobile for quite a while.

Is this so that 'off grid' survivalists won't get the message?

KWIL03/05/2022 15:43:11
3681 forum posts
70 photos

No good if your phone is switched off or you have left it at home.

pgk pgk03/05/2022 15:45:01
2661 forum posts
294 photos
Posted by V8Eng on 03/05/2022 13:27:28:

As a former colleague used to remark when the danger of nuclear war was mentioned “The best thing to do would be get as close as possible to an actual explosion”.

Thinking of possible long term consequences that might be more sensible than going into a bunker.

This link suggests you have no-where to run:
https://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/russian-state-tv-simulates-nuclear-attack-on-ireland-41607244.html

pgk

V8Eng03/05/2022 16:07:39
1826 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by pgk pgk on 03/05/2022 15:45:01:
Posted by V8Eng on 03/05/2022 13:27:28:

As a former colleague used to remark when the danger of nuclear war was mentioned “The best thing to do would be get as close as possible to an actual explosion”.

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/russian-state-tv-simulates-nuclear-attack-on-ireland-41607244.html

pgk

Bunkers won’t work either!

I would tend to assume that an underwater attack might originate from the eastern side of the U.K. if started in right area it would probably wipe out a large chunk of the European mainland as well.

I read decades ago a nuclear blast might well wreck communication systems so the survivalists might just be wasting time with radios..

Edited By V8Eng on 03/05/2022 16:09:00

Edited By V8Eng on 03/05/2022 16:11:35

SillyOldDuffer03/05/2022 16:33:22
10668 forum posts
2415 photos

Britain's nuclear submarine commanders are allowed to launch their Trident missiles in the event they can't hear BBC Radio 4 on 198kHz. Low frequency radio not only has long distance ground wave, it penetrates underwater too. A submarine can detect BBC Radio 4 almost anywhere in the North Atlantic without surfacing and revealing it's position.

Unfortunately, the BBC has many enemies working hard to kill the institution. Be ironic if lefty comedians were stopped from pointing out political blunders and sleaze due to a "don't bother me with mere details" enthusiast not understanding what the Archers is really for!

devil

(For non-Brits, the Archer's is the world's longest running radio soap opera. It's been broadcast come hell or high water in 15 minute slots on weekdays, plus an omnibus edition on Sunday, since 1950. Allegedly an everyday story of country folk, except almost anything goes. Today, Kathy Perks decided to resign rather than take a pay rise rather than help ruthless businessmen Oliver and Adil modernise Grey Gables Hotel. Odd, because despite being a busy hotel's General Manager Kathy Perks hasn't been heard of for many years. Her plan now is to drive from Alaska to Florida. And she must be at least 70 years old... )

V8Eng03/05/2022 16:51:23
1826 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 03/05/2022 16:33:22:

Britain's nuclear submarine commanders are allowed to launch their Trident missiles in the event they can't hear BBC Radio 4 on 198kHz. Low frequency radio not only has long distance ground wave, it penetrates underwater too. A submarine can detect BBC Radio 4 almost anywhere in the North Atlantic without surfacing and revealing it's position.

Unfortunately, the BBC has many enemies working hard to kill the institution. Be ironic if lefty comedians were stopped from pointing out political blunders and sleaze due to a "don't bother me with mere details" enthusiast not understanding what the Archers is really for!

devil

(For non-Brits, the Archer's is the world's longest running radio soap opera. It's been broadcast come hell or high water in 15 minute slots on weekdays, plus an omnibus edition on Sunday, since 1950. Allegedly an everyday story of country folk, except almost anything goes. Today, Kathy Perks decided to resign rather than take a pay rise rather than help ruthless businessmen Oliver and Adil modernise Grey Gables Hotel. Odd, because despite being a busy hotel's General Manager Kathy Perks hasn't been heard of for many years. Her plan now is to drive from Alaska to Florida. And she must be at least 70 years old... )

That’s rather scary considering that over 10 years ago radio 4 LW was reckoned to be operating on obsolete equipment and some of the spares no longer existed.

Edited By V8Eng on 03/05/2022 16:51:52

Edited By V8Eng on 03/05/2022 16:53:03

Samsaranda03/05/2022 17:44:34
1688 forum posts
16 photos

I find it incredible that our nuclear deterrent could rely on the broadcasting of BBC radio 4 with our sophisticated communications network that can broadcast underwater, as incredible as I find it, it fits with the quirky way our country operates in many areas. In respect of a nuclear attack, if you are out in the open, you may see the initial flash but will probably be vaporised before the sound of the explosion reaches you. We live in very dangerous times. Dave W

Michael Gilligan03/05/2022 17:59:10
23121 forum posts
1360 photos

On the occasion of my 20,000th post on this forum … I must mention one of the most significant publications that I have ever read:

The Prompt and Delayed Effects of Nuclear War Author(s): Kevin N. Lewis Source: Scientific American, Vol. 241, No. 1 (July 1979), pp. 35-47 Published by: Scientific American, a division of Nature America, Inc.

When I read this in 1979, the dispassionate discussion of hard facts seared itself into my brain.

… I never thought that in 2022 we might be so close.

Read it if you can.

MichaelG.

blowlamp03/05/2022 18:43:10
1885 forum posts
111 photos

Just something else to keep us on edge.

Peter Greene03/05/2022 18:51:32
865 forum posts
12 photos
Posted by blowlamp on 03/05/2022 18:43:10:

Just something else to keep us on edge.

... Not for long. I figure all this means that the super-beings that are running this universe feel that the experiment has failed in this corner of it and is about to be terminated.

disgust

Edited By Peter Greene 🇨🇦 on 03/05/2022 18:52:47

pgk pgk03/05/2022 18:54:05
2661 forum posts
294 photos
Posted by Samsaranda on 03/05/2022 17:44:34:

I find it incredible that our nuclear deterrent could rely on the broadcasting of BBC radio 4 with our sophisticated communications network that can broadcast underwater, as incredible as I find it, it fits with the quirky way our country operates in many areas. In respect of a nuclear attack, if you are out in the open, you may see the initial flash but will probably be vaporised before the sound of the explosion reaches you. We live in very dangerous times. Dave W

That was always the 'public knowledge' as a contingency on the premise that London gets destroyed along with main comms systems. If memory serves it was said the BBC has to be off-line for 4 days before our subs can retaliate. The reality is doubtless different with several alternative communication systems available. I doubt that submarine launched missiles can be accomplished from any huge depth and there is bound to be some simple satellite phone that can be deployed on a relay while still deep.

pgk

Andy Stopford03/05/2022 21:24:23
241 forum posts
35 photos
Posted by pgk pgk on 03/05/2022 15:45:01:

pgk

100 megatonnes? Standard Russian TV propaganda bombast.

The most powerful nuclear weapon ever tested was the Tsar Bomba with a design yield of 100 MT, but reduced to 50 MT to reduce fallout or, some say, because the design team (led by Andrei Sakharov) feared the fireball would extrude out of the earth's atmosphere, and they didn't know what the consequences of this would be.

The Tsar Bomba was a completely impractical willy-waving exercise and modern nuclear weapons have far smaller yields, which isn't to say they're inconsequential - see this link (which has been receiving a lot of visits lately):

https://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/

KEITH BEAUMONT03/05/2022 21:40:34
213 forum posts
54 photos

Michael G,

As no one has already said it, let me be the first to congratulate you on reaching 20,000 contributions to this Forum. It would be interesting to know how many Michael hours this has absorbed?.

Keith

Bazyle03/05/2022 21:50:14
6956 forum posts
229 photos

So if destroying the LW transmitters has a nasty side effect it behoves our enemies to make sure Rugby is not damaged. I'm going to look for a small holding as close as possible to the Tx, plant a coppice for fuel and some shatterproof greenhouses with filtered air. cheeky

Michael Gilligan03/05/2022 21:51:25
23121 forum posts
1360 photos
Posted by KEITH BEAUMONT on 03/05/2022 21:40:34:

It would be interesting to know how many Michael hours this has absorbed?.

I dare not contemplate that, Keith

… Too many, I’m sure.

MichaelG.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate