Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Myford super 7 oiling

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Steviegtr04/01/2020 17:17:42
2668 forum posts
352 photos

Looking at the lubrication points on the super 7. There are some with oil cups. There are 2 on the quick change gearbox that are grease nipples. The rest are all small 2ba fitting thingy's never seen anything like them. So on the myford site , they have the (special oil can) £66 surely there must be another oiler that will do. Or do I wait until I get the machine up & running & make an end for a standard oil can.

Steviegtr04/01/2020 17:27:34
2668 forum posts
352 photos

Standard grease nippleHere are pictures of the 2 types. Larger 1 is standard grease nipple. Small nipple

John Purdy04/01/2020 18:53:01
431 forum posts
252 photos

The small ones are oil nipples. I found the easiest way to oil them is to make an end for a standard oil can like this. The small end fits in the hole in the end of the fitting pushing the small ball back and has a small slot filed across it so the ball doesn't seal it off. (the pictures are in my album)dscn3201a.jpgdscn3201b.jpg

John

Edited By John Purdy on 04/01/2020 18:54:01

Edited By John Purdy on 04/01/2020 18:55:00

Steviegtr04/01/2020 19:19:28
2668 forum posts
352 photos

Ah I see how you have done it. I was thinking of the reverse with a inward cone to fit over the nipple . Vision of oil squirting everywhere but where it's wanted. Thanks.

bill ellis04/01/2020 19:46:05
71 forum posts
2 photos

The reverse (inward) cone idea works well. I used a Tecalemit grease gun which has such a fitting and converted it for oil. If you introduce a thin piece of material (cotton) between the nipple and the cone it does not leak at all and the oil pressure pushes the little ball in to allow the oil to pass. As long as your oil can produces enough pressure it should work.

John Purdy04/01/2020 19:50:54
431 forum posts
252 photos

The Myford oil gun is (or was), as you were thinking, an inverted cone to theoretically seal on the outside of the oil nipple but I found that it did exactly as you envisioned, putting oil everywhere but in the nipple where it's wanted. That's why I made the one shown which seals against the sides of the small hole putting the oil in the nipple where it's wanted.

John

JC5404/01/2020 19:57:49
154 forum posts
14 photos

Many thanks for the pictures John, I have tried several oilcans but just end up with oil everywhere. Will make some brass swarf tomorrow. JC

Steviegtr04/01/2020 20:29:24
2668 forum posts
352 photos

what if the cone fitting was made of acetal would that seal better. would be simple to adapt to an oil can end.

John Purdy04/01/2020 23:21:52
431 forum posts
252 photos

I find the brass seals quite well with just moderate pressure applied to the nipple. I would be concerned with the softer material wearing quite quickly as I have found even the brass wears over time. I have made 3 ends over the last 20 or so years as I find the small dia. end tends to get damaged. I feel that one advantage of this type as opposed to the one that seals on the outside of the nipple is that as the sealing ball is pushed back by the small end and not the pressure from the oil can so not nearly as much pressure is required from the oil can.

John

Edited By John Purdy on 04/01/2020 23:23:29

Edited By John Purdy on 04/01/2020 23:24:44

Enough!05/01/2020 01:17:47
1719 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by John Purdy on 04/01/2020 19:50:54:

The Myford oil gun is (or was), as you were thinking, an inverted cone to theoretically seal on the outside of the oil nipple but I found that it did exactly as you envisioned, putting oil everywhere but in the nipple where it's wanted.

The "standard" fix for that was/is to put a scrap of paper towel between the nipple and the oil-gun nozzle and squirt through that.

Sandgrounder05/01/2020 08:36:00
256 forum posts
6 photos

After having had two oil guns sold as suitable for a Myford lathe ( neither came from RDG, Myford or any of the main suppliers) which did not work I decided to try something else, from eBay I bought for £7 inc' P & P a used Interlube pump type grease gun, I filled it with Nuto 32 and pumped any remaining grease out on a piece of wood, refilled the gun and did all but one of the Myford nipples with no problems at all except a small amount of oil weeping past the guns filling cap, this I cured with a plastic plug and 'O' ring to provide a seal which wouldn't have been required for grease, the only nipple it won't oil is the one in the 'V' cone pulley, the end fitting on the gun is a little too big, I haven't got around to that yet as I very rarely use the back gear.

Edited By Sandgrounder on 05/01/2020 08:37:53

Don Cox05/01/2020 09:06:16
63 forum posts

We've walked this path before a few times. My solution has been to use "Valvespout" oilers, one for each type of oil (H32 and K68). They have a small nozzle fitted, similar in proportions to John Purdy's photos above, which will trip the balls in both the "grease nipple" type oil points and the flush to surface type ones on older Myford lathes, off of their seats to allow oil to enter with virtually no spillage. Have a look here: http://www.longs.co.uk/cgi-bin/ca000001.cgi

Howard Lewis05/01/2020 12:28:55
7227 forum posts
21 photos

A relatively costly oil can is the Reilang, but unlike the "oil everything but the nipple" Myford gun, It does what is required, and operated in almost any position.

Howard

JohnF05/01/2020 13:18:05
1243 forum posts
202 photos

I have one of these for my S7 from Pressparts **LINK** works very well and better than the genuine Myford one I have ! I also use a standard oil can, as it happens a Reilag but any will do for general lubrication of oil cups, bed etc.

John

steamdave05/01/2020 14:23:12
526 forum posts
45 photos

Have a look at my Myford Lathe album where I have uploaded a drawing for an oil gun adapter that fits the Myford nipples very well - leak free!

It's not my design, by the way. My thanks to the original designer.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Steviegtr05/01/2020 15:12:41
2668 forum posts
352 photos

Looking through your pictures. I need your steel stock. Puts mine to shame.

Steviegtr05/01/2020 15:23:16
2668 forum posts
352 photos
Posted by JohnF on 05/01/2020 13:18:05:

I have one of these for my S7 from Pressparts **LINK** works very well and better than the genuine Myford one I have ! I also use a standard oil can, as it happens a Reilag but any will do for general lubrication of oil cups, bed etc.

John

Great I have ordered that item. Looks ok. Shame I had not known about the tight area of the belt pulley nipple as I have just refitted the shaft after new belt fit. Could have relieved the area to make it more accessible.

clogs05/01/2020 15:57:32
630 forum posts
12 photos

I binned mine, thats those ridiculas original oil inserts.....

dug em out and where room permits made oil droppers and those that are close fit to something else get a sqirt of SYNTHETIC oil and then the hole is closed by those high strength magnets they sell these days......

never a problom any more........

done the same on my Colchester student esp the screw shaft end bushings....they got 90 degree oil droppers made..

now u can see the oil leaking by.......

thaiguzzi22/01/2020 15:32:00
704 forum posts
131 photos

Myfords - gotta love 'em.

Everybody else and his dog uses button oilers and/or oil cups, oh no - too good for Myford.

They sell a lathe with oilers that look like grease gun fittings....

Steviegtr22/01/2020 21:24:25
2668 forum posts
352 photos
Posted by thaiguzzi on 22/01/2020 15:32:00:

Myfords - gotta love 'em.

Everybody else and his dog uses button oilers and/or oil cups, oh no - too good for Myford.

They sell a lathe with oilers that look like grease gun fittings....

They do & you are right. I tried a few ways without success. Then someone suggested or said he used a grease gun type filled with oil. I bought one & it came with 2 different ends. One fits the nipples perfectly so job done. It also manages to do the really awkward one on the front pulley. I have to laugh every time I use the lathe I lift up the little lid at the front for the oiling wick, for bronze taper bush. & fill it with oil. Of course after a few days I can now see where the oil is going. All over the bed underneath. Is it like a Mazda RX8 with a total loss oil system. Sick joke.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate