By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Enough!

Here is a list of all the postings Enough! has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Buying a new Lathe....Asian?
05/10/2020 18:57:50

Posted by Jeff Dayman on 05/10/2020 16:43:43:

The whole "brokerage" lark is a gold mine. Two minutes of forms work on a computer or on paper by a "customs broker" - $50 to $75 Canadian please. A disgusting no value added ripoff at the border.

Moreover, if you bring in goods in person, or have them sent via Canada Post, they will rarely be assessed duty/taxes on values under $150 and almost never under $100 since it's uneconomic to do so.

Courier services and shipping companies on the other hand always assess and charge duty and taxes no matter what the value and charge you for them along with the brokerage charges as you point out. I have to take it on faith that these duty/taxes actually are passed along to Canada-Customs.

Edited By Bandersnatch on 05/10/2020 18:58:53

04/10/2020 16:54:00
Posted by Jeff Dayman on 04/10/2020 12:28:41:

FYI when I last tried to order a few small parts from Grizzly a couple of years ago they refused to ship to Canada. May have changed since then, but I would recommend asking first before placing any order.

That was the case up to some years ago. The brothers had an agreement not to deal in each others territory. A while back, that changed and Grizzly started shipping to Canada (and presumably Busy-Bee will ship to the US but I imagine the traffic is heavily loaded the other way).

I ordered a number of smaller items (lathe chucks, power feed for mill etc) from Grizzly a few years ago without problem - simply by placing the order online.

In fact, BB will get stuff in from Grizzly for you, including shipping, customs clearance etc - for a price. Saves the import hassle but it's cheaper to do it yourself.

.... Unless, of course, it's changed again. I've no reason to think so but it's some years since I went that route.

Edit: I think this explains it

Edited By Bandersnatch on 04/10/2020 17:00:39

Thread: Please Avoid Political and Partisan Issues
02/10/2020 15:57:47
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 02/10/2020 13:37:02:

It’s a web forum, with rules dictated by the hosts.

.... and their advertisers.

Thread: Chatter
24/09/2020 01:51:47
Posted by Martin W on 24/09/2020 01:17:32:

The tool post looks to have chamfered edges which could explain the apparent gap

Enlarging and zooming in, it looks to me more like radiused edges and not nearly enought to give that much illusion of gap.

If I had to guess, it would be that there's a shim (washer or washers?) under the toolpost to get the tool height right.

Edited By Bandersnatch on 24/09/2020 01:52:32

Thread: Problems reading from a 3.5" floppy disc
23/09/2020 01:50:34
Posted by Colin Whittaker on 22/09/2020 01:57:21:

1) Instead of transferring files with a floppy disc why not use a usb memory stick instead?

With machines/OS this old that begs some questions:

- do the machines actually have any USB ports (USB-1? USB-2?) (or an add-on card for them)?

- are the versions of Windows capable of driving those ports (or are drivers available)?

- Are the Windows/hardware/driver combinations capable of driving modern USB (2) devices?

Thread: Interference
22/09/2020 17:16:47
Posted by Peter G. Shaw on 22/09/2020 15:35:00:

I seem to think that it is axiomatic that a device built and working correctly to the regulations pertaining at that time does not have to be updated.

I sort of agree but I think it's more likely that older equipment would be grandfathered until their penetration comes down to, what .... 10% ? ; 5% ? and then made illicit.

I also think that the person concerned was pretty dumb. I'd have said (to the cable/internet people) "until you can show me that it's illegal I'll continue to use it ...... of course you could always buy me a new, modern TV (and dispose of the old one)" Which would be by far their cheapest option (not to mention good publicity).

Thread: iPadOS 14
19/09/2020 17:36:40
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 19/09/2020 10:46:56:

Second ... I have now tried, twice, to reply to Daniel’s post on another thread [quoting some of his text] ... On both attempts, the post has not appeared !!

FWIW, Michael, the exact same thing happened to me responding to Daniel in (probably) the same thread. I was using Firefox in a Windows desktop though so your problem may not be related to the iOS upgrade.

I thought it might be another thread in process of being locked but I don't know.

Thread: Orion (asterism)
19/09/2020 15:35:03

This perspective view of Orion could have been modelled in a 3D CAD program (with multiple scales).

Wish I'd thought of that.

Thread: Tachometers sensor magnet
17/09/2020 01:29:22

... which probably makes Brian's admonition even more important cheeky

Thread: Ideal Guillotine
17/09/2020 01:24:27
Posted by ega on 17/09/2020 00:15:22:

Thank you. The movement you describe would seem to give a progressive, slicing cut - clever stuff!

So would an angled straight edge .... as on a metal-cutting guillotine.

Thread: WHY THE TANG?
16/09/2020 01:15:57
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 15/09/2020 22:06:16:

Sorry but I don't buy the idea that the tang is purely for ejecting the tool.

Nor do I. If that were the case, it could be done (without extending the taper) by growing a simple cylinder on the end of the taper - turned at the same time as the rest of it - rather than the awkwardly shaped tang that needs a subsequent machining operation. Why would anyone dream that up in the first place? Doesn't make sense to me.

But if the tang is (or was) intended for driving ....

Edited By Bandersnatch on 16/09/2020 01:17:45

15/09/2020 17:30:49
Posted by Howard Lewis on 15/09/2020 14:29:15:

Tangs are not intended to provide a drive. The taper does that. Tangs are needed to eject the tool from the quill of a vertical mill. A tapered drift is inserted through a slot in the quill, and a mallet drives the tapered drift through, pushing the tool, to break the taper.

That doesn't really explain it for me, Howard. If that's all the tang does, why not leave off the tang, extend the taper (or relocate the drift slot) and use the drift against the end of the tapered section?

Thread: A new [to me ] style of scam eMail
15/09/2020 17:19:45

Doesn't your virus scanner handle email attachments?

Thread: Rotating Photos
14/09/2020 17:38:57
Posted by JasonB on 14/09/2020 16:53:50:

It can depend on how the phone or ipad were being held when the photo was taken, if button on the left then the forum can think it's upside down.

Just to point out that Mike is talking about 90-deg rotation (which is a common problem on this site) and you seem to be talking about 180-deg. I'm confused for one.

Thread: Mystery Object ... This one has me beat
14/09/2020 01:21:57
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 13/09/2020 20:07:49:
Posted by Bandersnatch on 13/09/2020 17:33:12:

Michael, I presume you tried a Google image search?

It didn't give me any results but you're better at that stuff than I am..

The results were pitiful ... sad

You mean I'm not as bad as I thought? surprise

I have to say that my first take on it was of a simple location bracket for a couple of pipes running along a wall (bracket bolted to wall). Guess that's too simple eh?

13/09/2020 17:33:12

Michael, I presume you tried a Google image search?

It didn't give me any results but you're better at that stuff than I am.

Thread: cateracts.
08/09/2020 00:56:59
Posted by herbert punter on 07/09/2020 22:00:10:

Bandersnatch, there’s no sedative, to be honest I don’t think one is necessary.

Do they insert an IV ?

07/09/2020 18:26:23
Posted by herbert punter on 07/09/2020 11:23:26:

While they were working on the lens I could see the most amazing things, bright lights and most impressive, a sort of ‘fluffy white lace parachute’ which came down over me again and again. They tell me that these sights don’t always occur so other people’s mileage may vary.

That sounds like the kind of thing I've experienced under the "sedative" (they deny it's an anaesthetic) they give for an angiogram or when having a stent fitted or colonoscopy. Very pretty actually. Do they give any such sedative for the cataract surgery?

Thread: Cura Roll-Overs
06/09/2020 18:51:36

Neil, when you get back from MEW-297 you might want to look and see if the following interests you too - it lets you change the font/size settings:

Download this file: **LINK**

Put it in %APPDATA%\cura\4.5\themes\larger-text\theme.json

Restart Cura

In the general preferences, select the theme Ultimaker Larger

Restart Cura again

You can edit the theme.json file to make size/font changes.

Thread: ME Digital Access
06/09/2020 17:24:06
Posted by JasonB on 06/09/2020 06:58:37:

John, Pocketmags has been the preferred method for both magazines for almost 6 years.

... and yet John's post is over 7 years old devil

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate