Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Silent compressor problem

Hot!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
daveb24/09/2019 22:16:18
631 forum posts
14 photos

I have a Bambi silent compressor. I used it recently for about 10 minutes and the compressor unit is running VERY hot. The oil level seems OK. Is this a fault or do they normally run hot?

Thanks. Daveb.

pgk pgk24/09/2019 22:34:46
2661 forum posts
294 photos

My dental compressor was bambi and I was never aware of it running hot.

pgk

Trevor Drabble24/09/2019 23:14:20
339 forum posts
7 photos

Have you tried talking to Bambi in Birmingham ?

Trevor.

Brian Sweeting24/09/2019 23:40:40
453 forum posts
1 photos

Could be the compressor starter or capacitors at fault.

Robin25/09/2019 01:03:18
678 forum posts

Mine got horribly hot for no good reason I could see and stopped working. I bought another one. The hot one cooled down and worked for another 2 years, still going strong.

Robert Atkinson 225/09/2019 07:16:33
1891 forum posts
37 photos

A company I worked for used lots of these and they should not run too hot to hold your hand on. Have you checked the oil level?
If that is OK the next thin to check is the capacitor (or thermal time delay relay if fitted, but most of these except the very small ones used a capacitor)

Robert G8RPI.

Roger Woollett25/09/2019 10:19:11
148 forum posts
6 photos

I have had this problem with a Bambi compressor. I decided the motor was only suitable for a quite low duty cycle. I had been using too much air and it got very hot.

Because of this the rubber diaphragm in the regulator failed. The first time this happened I got a replacement from Bambi. When that failed I found that it is a standard item. Machine Mart had them but I found one a lot cheaper on eBay.

Howard Lewis25/09/2019 12:26:58
7227 forum posts
21 photos

I had experience of a Bambi which seized, despite the oil level being OK. They do not seem to be intended to run on a high duty cycle. We wired the replacement into a timer circuit, so that it was only available for short set periods.

Is yours delivering air, satisfactorily?

This new one stopped delivering, and rattled. Cover off. A welsh washer, was no longer retained because the 1/4 UNF bolt had broken off, at the thread run out. Hard to remove the remains, but finally done. Made a guide "bung", drilled and tapped 1/2 UNF, and screwed in a stud with 1/2 UNF outer thread and 1/4 UNF internal thread at the outer end. Sealed welsh washer with Hylomar, topped up the oil (A colleague had tried running it the cover off - BAD move, but he won't rust! ) Compressor still performing happily some two years later.

Howard

Emgee25/09/2019 13:59:15
2610 forum posts
312 photos

Howard

Please explain what a welsh washer is used for, term I have never heard of.

Emgee

Mike Poole25/09/2019 14:06:13
3676 forum posts
82 photos

Try welch washer.

Mike

Neil Wyatt25/09/2019 17:36:27
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles

Or even welch plug...?

Neil

daveb25/09/2019 22:37:20
631 forum posts
14 photos

Oil level is 1/2 way up the sight glass. After 10 minutes running the casing is much too hot to touch. Motor cuts off when pressure in tank reaches 100PSI. No noises except click when motor starts, very slight vibration when running. I haven't used it much, I bought it to use with my Bridgeport Spraymist coolant system, don't think it was running hot then. There is an external capacitor, I will replace it and see if matters improve.

Many thanks, help most appreciated.

Daveb

Brian Sweeting26/09/2019 00:13:21
453 forum posts
1 photos

Remember that these compressors are refrigerant compressors that are supposed to be cooled by the flow of refrigerant through them.

You should find somewhere in the instructions of your unit the recommended duty cycle. This should be designed to not overheat the motor by running too long and also not starting the motor more than a set number of times per hour.

Michael Gilligan26/09/2019 07:02:03
23121 forum posts
1360 photos
Posted by Brian Sweeting on 26/09/2019 00:13:21:

Remember that these compressors are refrigerant compressors that are supposed to be cooled by the flow of refrigerant through them.

You should find somewhere in the instructions of your unit the recommended duty cycle. This should be designed to not overheat the motor by running too long and also not starting the motor more than a set number of times per hour.

dont know What exactly do you mean by these compressors, Brian ?

MichaelG.

https://www.bambi-air.co.uk/

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 26/09/2019 07:02:32

BOB BLACKSHAW26/09/2019 09:23:52
501 forum posts
132 photos

I have a Jun Air the same type as the Bambi with similar problems.

I found CJS DIRECT COMPRESSERS 01213270395 Jeremy Foster very helpful, he sent me the manual for mine which is over 40 years old, I can strip it down and look for the problem.

Bob

Chris Gunn26/09/2019 10:26:06
459 forum posts
28 photos

The Bambi compressors are not all designed for continuous use, some were designed for applications where small amounts of air are needed intermittently. The manual states that the machine "can get quite hot in operation", and also "not to let the oil get hotter than 100 degrees c", which is also quite hot. I have a copy of the manual if anyone wants one, please send a pm.

Chris Gunn

Brian Sweeting26/09/2019 14:19:57
453 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 26/09/2019 07:02:03:
Posted by Brian Sweeting on 26/09/2019 00:13:21:

dont know What exactly do you mean by these compressors, Brian ?

MichaelG.

**LINK**

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 26/09/2019 07:02:32

Sorry, should have added "hermetic" type.

Howard Lewis26/09/2019 21:54:00
7227 forum posts
21 photos

The Bambi that I dealt with was a reciprocating piston type, not a diaphragm type, hence the oil sight glass, mentioned.

They do seem to be low duty cycle machines.

A welsh or welch washer is a slightly convex disc, usually of steel. When placed in a recess, (shouldered hole ) only slightly larger in diameter than itself,, and pressed or hammered into place, it expands and seals.

The one on the Bambi had been clamped in place by a long 1/4 UNF bolt, which had broken at the thread run out.

Refrigerator compressors tend to run hot if the reed valves leak

Howard

daveb30/09/2019 17:46:23
631 forum posts
14 photos

Bambi compressor BB24V

Thanks everyone. Capacitor seems OK, I fitted a new one, no difference. I previously used it with my Bridgeport Spraymist system, the air usage of which is fairly low. I noticed the compressor getting hot when I was blowing out some carburettor drillings which emptied the reservior two or three times, perhaps I'm expecting too much of it.

Daveb

Emgee30/09/2019 18:05:20
2610 forum posts
312 photos
Posted by Howard Lewis on 26/09/2019 21:54:00:

A welsh or welch washer is a slightly convex disc, usually of steel. When placed in a recess, (shouldered hole ) only slightly larger in diameter than itself,, and pressed or hammered into place, it expands and seals.

Howard

Thanks Howard, welch washer known to me as a "core plug", as used to blank off bores to water passages on IC engines blocks.

Emgee

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate