Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Welding helmet

Mig 'stick

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
john fletcher 124/02/2019 15:26:00
893 forum posts

I would appreciate any advice on which auto darkening welding helmet to buy for use with Arc and Mig welders. Also the price to pay, and as I'm in no hurry I can wait for some thing from PRC or maybe one already here in UK. John

Phil Whitley24/02/2019 15:35:09
1533 forum posts
147 photos

I have a lidl one for about £20 and a machine mart one for about £40, the lidl one is better, and has a battery powered led light as well, I wouldnt recomend these for serious all day welding, but they are all built to the same standard as far as the self darkening bit is concerned! You can pay an awful lot, and not get a lot of improvement, and some of the pro ones I have used are heavy. Also use myy Lidl one for TIG as well You can vary the shade, reaction time, and sensitivity. One thing I am going to get is one of the hats that attaches to the screen to stop light getting into the mask from above, which is a constant problem as I do most of my welding looking down on the job, and have fluorescent lighting.

Phil

KWIL24/02/2019 15:46:21
3681 forum posts
70 photos

Yes you definately need a hat, to protect your head and keep the light out.

Nick Wheeler24/02/2019 15:46:36
1227 forum posts
101 photos

Make sure you buy an adjustable one, that is light enough for the welding you'll be doing. You don't want, let alone need a 13 shade for thin sheet metal. My welding improved the instant I swapped to a lighter shade.

Chris Trice24/02/2019 16:25:24
1376 forum posts
10 photos

Most BOC outlets have welding masks like this where their retail counter is. They only stock "good" ones that are not unduly expensive.

Pete.24/02/2019 16:30:56
910 forum posts
303 photos

Avoid the dirt cheap no brand ones, I bought a different model of this brand, not being sold anymore, but this is the model that's currently on offer, and they are noticeably better quality than the unbranded ones all over ebay, on offer at £37.99 it's a bargain

**LINK**

Harry Wilkes24/02/2019 17:22:04
1613 forum posts
72 photos

I dont do much welding these days but was attracted to the Lidle one mainly due to the price so far it's proved to be OK

H

David Standing 124/02/2019 20:12:03
1297 forum posts
50 photos

I use a Parweld XR935H.

Once you have gone to an auto darkening helmet, you will never go back to a manual flip one, and your eyes will thank you!

**LINK**

martin perman24/02/2019 20:39:26
2095 forum posts
75 photos

I have a Machine Mart Helmet that is Automatic and has a variable adjusted shade which I find helpful for arc and mig welding and the screen can be switched to clear when using the angle grinder, it wasnt cheap and also not expensive.

Martin P

Robert Butler24/02/2019 21:58:21
511 forum posts
6 photos

ESAB Robert Butler

Dave Halford24/02/2019 22:07:31
2536 forum posts
24 photos

Just don't forget to switch to clear when you put it away.

Windy25/02/2019 00:32:30
910 forum posts
197 photos

With most of my tig welding it was very low amp settings for the thin stainless tube I was fusing together.

I read somewhere be careful with some auto darkening helmets as on such low welding settings they might not darken.

Plasma25/02/2019 07:32:28
443 forum posts
1 photos

I bought an ESAB warrior helmet for mig and plasma cutting. The salesman said all the money goes on the auto darkening kit on cheaper versions which is why the headbands fail etc. Its light and strong and a happy medium at around 60 quid.

Scrumpy25/02/2019 08:54:23
152 forum posts

As for which welding helmet to purchase the question you have to ask yourself how much do you value your eyesight purchase the best that your can afford I have a Boc one and Esab

Neil Wyatt25/02/2019 10:09:57
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles

It's worth point out that 'Plasma' is correct the main difference with cheap helmets is their comfort and durability, not their protection.

Even on cheap helmets the auto darken insert should meet the standard by having a UV filter which will work even if the darkening fails. The darkening is essentially a 'comfort' feature so turning it down does not affect the UV protection.

The conclusion from this is that if you only weld a few times a year for short jobs, you can get away with a cheaper helmet without risking your eyesight or your safety (plus autodarkening helmets are safer than flip down ones because there is much less chance of accidental exposure to the arc).

Neil

Plasma25/02/2019 12:32:36
443 forum posts
1 photos

Thanks Neil, but it was the advice of the welding company I found for my consumables. When you consider a commercial helmet would have been £300 + I think the Esab is great value.

I also bought a pair of welders safety boots with a leather flap instead of laces and a leather welding jacket which will save me hiding yet another jumper I have burned holes in. For around a hundred quid I'm safe as houses. Wish my welding was as good!

Paul Relf-Davies25/02/2019 12:50:07
84 forum posts
1 photos

I bought a 'Tacklife PAH03D' (LINK) from Amazon a few months back. it's currently about £50. It seems extremely good. It is very comfortable & the view you get of work is excellent.

P.

Russ B25/02/2019 12:56:24
635 forum posts
34 photos

I have 4 or 5 helmets, ranging from cheap fixed shade ESAB's to my £1200 3M 9100FX helmet with 9100XX glass.

Going from one end of the spectrum to the other, I find I get best visibility on the fixed shade glass! in my opinion, they seem to do a better job at blocking the arc without blocking so much light you can't see what you're doing. If you can used to starting blind it's the way to go especially on a budget.

I bought a £120 3M 100v series, great helmet but as above, despite being good quality, and my go to helmet actually, you can see more with the fixed shade, but its comfortable and quality.

I have just bought a 3M 9100FX helmet with 9100XX glass (its a modular system, you can get various different UV filters depending on budget). The auto darkening filter on this helmet is very different to the cheaper £130 100V, for a start when you turn it on, the shade changes immediately, so it's obviously using power to become clearer, when tinted it is also more clear the 100V, allowing me to see more of what's going on around my weld, more like the fixed shade helmet - it doesn't seem brighter, but somehow I can see more?

And finally, I also have a cheap Chinese helmet (ive had 2 actually, the current one was from Cromwell, the other was eBay) I wouldn't recommend them at all, they clearly give me headaches and sore eyes, I suspect the time they take to switch isn't any where near as fast as they claim and you get a bit of a flash each time you start, and possibly the UV protection isn't what it should be - I'm sure they claim to meet all the required standards but who actually checks, and who could be held to account. The one from Cromwell doesn't have a brand on it, I know it's their own brand but they aren't taking responsibility.

I'd happily have another £120 3M 100V although I haven't tried ESAB's offering for that price range so I can't say which is better.

Dave Halford25/02/2019 17:52:35
2536 forum posts
24 photos

I've had arc eye and with respect sore eyes is not a description of UV damage. Someone pouring hot sand in your eyes at 3am is.

Neil Wyatt25/02/2019 18:16:57
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles
Posted by Plasma on 25/02/2019 12:32:36:

Thanks Neil, but it was the advice of the welding company I found for my consumables. When you consider a commercial helmet would have been £300 + I think the Esab is great value.

I also bought a pair of welders safety boots with a leather flap instead of laces and a leather welding jacket which will save me hiding yet another jumper I have burned holes in. For around a hundred quid I'm safe as houses. Wish my welding was as good!

I was agreeing with you. The more you use the kit, the more it's worth spending on a visor*.

Neil

*rather than sad graphics...

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate