By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

James May Reassembler: What should he rebuild next?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Simon Robinson 407/10/2017 23:58:10
102 forum posts

Really enjoyed James May reassebler on BBC4. What do you think his next reassembly projects could be? My ideas are.

1) An old manual 'One arm bandit' slot machine, such as a Jennings.

2) A coal fired live steam locomotive such as 3" gauge.

3) An old video recorder such as a Grundig 2000 or ferguson Videostar

4) The logic cabinet of a passenger lift or dumb waiter, relays floor selector etc.

Edited By Simon Robinson 4 on 07/10/2017 23:59:18

Speedy Builder508/10/2017 07:22:41
2878 forum posts
248 photos

How about a mechanical calculator - I bet that would be beyond him!
BobH

john carruthers08/10/2017 08:17:56
617 forum posts
180 photos

Keep it relatively simple and fit in a one hour slot, a BMC A series engine, or a Minor 1000 gearbox.

martin perman08/10/2017 08:19:24
2095 forum posts
75 photos

I have enjoyed this series but if you watch closely the parts are laid out in a pattern for him to pick them in the right order and for continuity of filming therefore he could rebuild anything.

Martin P

Bob Stevenson08/10/2017 08:29:46
579 forum posts
7 photos

Or, rather than reassemble something already in bits for no obvious reason, could he not get himself a 'restoration' project or just repair something and thus offer a finished item that has been rescued such that the whole excercise can be admired and enjoyed??

..........At the moment his progs are basically 'watching that old geezer in his shed be really weird'......it does not have much appeal to the younger, non thinking, non techy, audience slumped on the setee with boredom eating their brains and burgers filling their guts.....not likely to get them realising why a screwdriver has a flat end....

The GoogleBox sequence on this was very illuminating as to attitudes in teh viewing public, and May is only watchable as a former 'Top Gear' bad boy doing something cranky.

Edited By Bob Stevenson on 08/10/2017 08:31:29

Mick B108/10/2017 10:23:29
2444 forum posts
139 photos

A 1976 Sinclair Cambridge scientific calculator.

Maybe he'd get the bottom line of LED elements to work.

Circlip08/10/2017 10:49:57
1723 forum posts

"Tecky" programmes are always a problem, too long for the goldfish brains and too short for those with greater than three brain cells.

Wonder how long it takes to diss-assemble whatever and remember the correct reassembly sequence?

The converted don't need preachers but the great unwashed mobile tappers won't spend the time being distracted.

Regards Ian.

Jimmeh08/10/2017 12:08:13
27 forum posts
12 photos

Maybe he could reassemble Richard Hammond after his next big crash?

Douglas Johnston08/10/2017 13:16:40
814 forum posts
36 photos

The programme hits all the right buttons for me, the casual pace, the interesting talk, and the lack of production gimmicks.

Doug

SillyOldDuffer08/10/2017 14:02:24
10668 forum posts
2415 photos

Yeah, I like it too.

I watched a new one last week. 'Escape' puts a mixed group of Engineers into a situation where they have to build something from wreckage to escape. A bit like 'Scrapheap Challenge' with much higher levels of physical discomfort. The first one was set in a desert (45C, with sandstorms) with a wrecked airliner and a mangled Cesna

Even though they managed to escape before the water ran out, I'm afraid the engineers, all highly qualified, didn't cover themselves in glory. Ego. Tantrums. Not listening. Zero Project Management skills. Tunnel Vision. No sense of urgency. Unwillingness to accept the value of other disciplines. In real life they would all have died due to their failure to work as a team.

The technical side was only moderately interesting compared with the human interactions. It was more interesting, for example. to watch the alpha-male being nagged into submission by the ladies. He went from barking orders at them to grovelling apologies in short order.

I strongly suspect that one or two of the 'challenges' were due to film-crew sabotage. If I'd been there, the production team would have been subjected to 'enhanced interrogation' and an auto-da-fe. Now that would have been good telly!

Dave

Edited By SillyOldDuffer on 08/10/2017 14:02:37

Edited By SillyOldDuffer on 08/10/2017 14:03:06

Stephen Benson08/10/2017 15:06:12
203 forum posts
69 photos

Enjoyed the series to even my Wife enjoyed them I think a Enfield Clock would be great subject love to see him using a spring winder

Bazyle08/10/2017 15:30:23
6956 forum posts
229 photos

" Ego. Tantrums. Not listening. Zero Project Management skills." That's the whole point, like Big Brother etc the producers only want that kind of thing, everything else is edited out.

A couple of days ago on the radio the main character of a recently finished series was being interviewed and agreed with the presenter that nobody in real life behaved that emotionally and irrationally - but that behaviour is what supposedly sells the shows. Ever since Enid Byton's kids chased the crooks down a rabbit hole under a tree or whatever the requirement has been dumb-ass behaviour in order to create a storyline.

The key element behind May's programs is the object has to be something huge numbers of people think 'I have/had one of those when younger". So VHS video recorder - yes, Phillips 2000 no.

Carl Wilson 408/10/2017 17:40:12
670 forum posts
53 photos
Not long since I decided to watch a programme remembered from my youth, "The Great Egg Race" hosted by Prof. Heinz Wolf. You'll likely remember the format. Teams of (usually) engineers from UK firms or Mod are given a funny task to do or problem to solve. They have to make a contraption to do it, out of bits they are given.

I loved the programme as a kid, but watching it now I realised there is absolutely no way it'd be commissioned now.

It mainly consisted of groups of clever blokes being left to get on with it and a camera pointed at them talking in slightly self conscious low voices about what they intend to do.

It was a different world indeed back then.
Nick Wheeler08/10/2017 21:08:00
1227 forum posts
101 photos
Posted by Douglas Johnston on 08/10/2017 13:16:40:

The programme hits all the right buttons for me, the casual pace, the interesting talk, and the lack of production gimmicks.

Those are all the right buttons for me too. Plus, it's an interesting mix of subjects. I would never have considered just how complicated some of the items were.

Doesn't everybody lay out components in order, before assembling stuff?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate