THE 2016 MODEL ENGINEER EXHIBITION

An announcement

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Neil Wyatt26/10/2015 11:28:02
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles

We are delighted to announce that the 2016 Model Engineer Exhibition will take place on 16, 17 and 18 September at Brooklands Museum, Weybridge, Surrey.

The event will, as always, be sponsored by the publishers of Model Engineer, My Time Media and will feature the World Class Competition, individual loan models, stimulating displays by Clubs and Societies, a cross section of traders and suppliers and all this against the backdrop of one of the best museums of historic transport and engineering in the country. Without doubt the exhibition promises to be something completely new, refreshing and invigorating as well as thought- provoking and inspiring.

The organisers took the decision to move away from the tried and tested format of the MEX, sensing that, successful as it was, times have changed and exhibitors and visitors alike would welcome something original and, perhaps, a little unconventional. It is the hope, therefore, that all those who have enjoyed the Model Engineer Exhibition in the past will embrace the new concept and that everyone will look forward to a great weekend of pure indulgence in this wonderful hobby, surrounded by engineering history! We believe that, more than ever, it will be worthwhile making a weekend of it and taking extra time to enjoy all that this fantastic new venue has to offer. The decision to change the date was also made in the hope that a September weekend will be rather more pleasant for outdoor activities (if it’s anything like this year it will be glorious - but it’s probably best not to tempt fate!)

In future issues of Model Engineer we shall be bringing you more about Brooklands Museum, the Birthplace of British Motorsports and Aviation; of the tremendous history of flight and flight testing since the very early 20th Century; of the world’s first purpose-built motor racing circuit; of world speed record attempts and pioneering flying clubs and flight training. The museum also incorporates the London Bus Museum within the purpose built Cobham Hall on site - a quite spectacular exhibition in its own right - and there will be an opportunity to take a tour of the first British production Concorde. There is so much more ...

You have just under a year to prepare your models for exhibition! We are currently in the process of writing to the clubs that have traditionally supported us and we shall be putting together a programme of events and activities in the coming months. More information, including details of how to enter your work into the exhibition or the competition and how and where to purchase tickets (there will be discounted ‘early bird’ tickets available) will soon be published through the pages of this magazine and on the Model Engineer website: www.model-engineer.co.uk For now, though, mark the date on your calendar - you won’t want to miss MEX 2016!

Edited By Diane Carney on 27/10/2015 20:58:16

John Stevenson26/10/2015 12:21:30
5068 forum posts
3 photos

Sounds very interesting Neil.

I hope that there is say a sliding scale of admission prices to take in the other museums as well ?

So what with Harrogate relocating to Doncaster and now this one it looks an interesting year.

Geoff Theasby26/10/2015 12:24:49
615 forum posts
21 photos

Great! Brooklands is fabulous! I went last year.

Geoff

David Clark 126/10/2015 14:16:55
3357 forum posts
112 photos
10 articles

As the Midlands Model Engineering Exhibition is in October Is this an attempt to get people in before this?

John Stevenson26/10/2015 14:24:40
5068 forum posts
3 photos

David,

Probably because September is a 'free' month. Bristol is August, September is free and October is the Midlands one.

Ascot used to be around these dates.

JasonB26/10/2015 14:25:23
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles
Posted by David Clark 1 on 26/10/2015 14:16:55:

As the Midlands Model Engineering Exhibition is in October Is this an attempt to get people in before this?

Just spaces it a good distance away from Ally pally so the south get two main shows spread through teh year, any earlier and it would tend to clash with Guildford and GDSF.

Good news, I'll be there, might even dust off a model or two

Neil Wyatt26/10/2015 14:40:51
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles

It's in everyone's interest to keep the shows spaced out in both the calendar and geographically. The old date was too close to All Pally, especially with them both being near London.

If the next show was to happen in 2016, September was the obvious gap in the calendar, a spring show would have had to wait for 2017 because of the planning involved in such a major revamp.

Neil

KWIL26/10/2015 16:31:00
3681 forum posts
70 photos

A quick look at the Brooklands Calendar does not show MEX2016sad

Neil Wyatt26/10/2015 16:38:59
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles
Posted by KWIL on 26/10/2015 16:31:00:

A quick look at the Brooklands Calendar does not show MEX2016sad

Please, no conspiracy theories!

It would be a rather bad show if Brooklands announced it before we did!

Neil

Bazyle26/10/2015 17:44:09
6956 forum posts
229 photos
Posted by John Stevenson on 26/10/2015 14:24:40:

David,

Probably because September is a 'free' month. Bristol is August, September is free and October is the Midlands one.

Ascot used to be around these dates.

Not a free month - the great St Albans DMES show is the following weekend.laugh and is north of Watford for the benefit of you lot in the midlands.

Watford26/10/2015 17:52:55
142 forum posts
11 photos

I am sure that the exhibition will be first class, but having been to Brooklands on a number of occasions for different events I rather suspect that they will have to do something pretty ingenious with the catering.

Lathejack26/10/2015 20:47:50
339 forum posts
337 photos

I was very interested to hear that the Harrogate show is relocating to Doncaster next year. Doncaster isn't far from me so that will be handy, although I do enjoy the Harrogate site.

I can remember a previous Model Engineering Show at Doncaster, at the racecourse I think. It was over 15 years ago I am sure, and I can only recall the one event, does anyone else remember this? And was there only the one show there?

I can't remember much about it, but I do recall Myford were there, also Chester and Emco but no Warco if I remember correctly. A lot of the trade stands were for plastic model kits or radio control models.

Edited By Lathejack on 26/10/2015 20:48:50

Nicholas Farr26/10/2015 22:40:59
3988 forum posts
1799 photos

Hi Lathejack, the Doncaster show you are thinking about was in June 1997, I don't think it was very well supported from what I remember and indeed Warco did not attend, I remember this because I went with the intent of buying a milling machine from either Warco or Chester, as they both sold a similar model at that time. Chester got a sale by Warco not attending the show.

scan_20151026.jpg

This show should not be confused as being the Harrogate show in 1997, because that also took place, but that was in April and was previewed in issue No. 4037 March 1997 of ME.

scan_20151026 (2).jpg

Regards Nick.

P.S. I do remember watching some of the outdoor flying demonstrations and displays, which I remember were quite impressive.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 26/10/2015 22:58:12

Nicholas Farr26/10/2015 22:54:18
3988 forum posts
1799 photos

Hi, I personally think the 2016 MEX might just as well have continued at Sandown, as it will be just the same nightmare getting there and home again as it was for me last year. There will be a good chance of me just going to Ally Paly, Doncaster and the Midlands only next year.

Regards Nick.

Another JohnS26/10/2015 23:21:39
842 forum posts
56 photos

Neil! Great choice of locations. Weybridge is close to Heathrow, which is only 7 hours flying time for me, which is one reason why I made the last MEX show at Esher.

Will talk to my better half about attending this one.

John.

Neil Wyatt27/10/2015 08:44:39
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles

MEX - the only show located with the convenience of antipodean model engineers in mind.

Michael Gilligan27/10/2015 08:58:12
23121 forum posts
1360 photos
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 27/10/2015 08:44:39:

MEX - the only show located with the convenience of antipodean model engineers in mind.

**LINK**

JasonB27/10/2015 09:02:59
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

There was a clue in the 7hr flight timesmile p

KWIL27/10/2015 09:37:20
3681 forum posts
70 photos

Yes but Neil has a different view of the world through his telescopeembarrassed

John Stevenson27/10/2015 09:48:07
5068 forum posts
3 photos
Posted by Nicholas Farr on 26/10/2015 22:54:18:

Hi, I personally think the 2016 MEX might just as well have continued at Sandown, as it will be just the same nightmare getting there and home again as it was for me last year. There will be a good chance of me just going to Ally Paly, Doncaster and the Midlands only next year.

Regards Nick.

You can say that about any show depending where you live.

Sandown is rubbish if you live in Scotland for instance. Midland show is far nearer to me than Harrogate but I can get to Harrogate far easier as it's all motor way and not cross country.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate