By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Trying to identify a bird-feeder thread.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Pete White19/09/2023 08:31:21
223 forum posts
16 photos

Double post again, I am losing it! Tryin to multi task posting and eating my cereal? Went to check post for errors and did not find it so posted again, sorry.

Edited By Pete White on 19/09/2023 08:35:55

Nick Wheeler19/09/2023 09:42:00
1227 forum posts
101 photos
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 18/09/2023 23:31:48:

If someone produces a table of bird feeder threads and other useful standards like watering can rose tapers, outside tap connector threads (there are at least three) and pea netting mesh sizes, we could produce a pull out for MEW.

Neil

Is pull out a suitable phrase when talking about threads?

JasonB19/09/2023 09:57:46
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

Good idea to make it a pull out then it will be easy to throw in the binsmile p

Bo'sun19/09/2023 11:21:45
754 forum posts
2 photos

Sam,

Looking at Ed's images, the feeder looks (to me anyway) to be die-cast rather than plastic.

Ed Duffner19/09/2023 12:25:10
863 forum posts
104 photos

Just to confirm, it is die-cast. I found a 1/2" 'pipe' tap at work today. Will check when I get home.

Neil Wyatt19/09/2023 13:08:03
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles
Posted by Sam Stones on 19/09/2023 01:20:00:

Considering the many possibilities Neil, it would be some pull-out.

It was meant as a joke

But it is mind-blowing how many threads and fittings there are that are standard for obscure purposes. Pen nibs, windscreen wiper fittingss, cotton real bore sizes, clock key squares, guitar string ends, aerosol nozzles, sealant nozzle threads...

Neil

File Handle19/09/2023 16:07:20
250 forum posts

If it is a pipe thread, it would make sense as old pipe would make a useful stand.

Sam Stones20/09/2023 22:09:45
922 forum posts
332 photos

I need to eat humble pie for making a momentous mistake.

The green component in these two photographs had, to me at least, every appearance of being a polypropylene injection moulding. As Ed has indicated, it’s actually a metal die-casting.

928057 - eds bird feeder.jpg

928059 - eds bird feeder.jpg

I stand corrected.

Neil, your tongue-in-cheek humour didn’t go unnoticed, especially when you included pea netting mesh. Clearly, your humour does draw attention to the vast array of non-standard threads.

There’s many a true word spoken in jest.

For those still not bored with my interjections, here’s ‘Your starter of ten’...

img20230920120214.jpg

"Specify this thread!"

It's fitted to the end of a domestic broom/brush handle.

Cheers,

Sam

Simon036221/09/2023 09:42:32
279 forum posts
91 photos
Posted by Sam Stones on 20/09/2023 22:09:45:

img20230920120214.jpg

"Specify this thread!"

It's fitted to the end of a domestic broom/brush handle.

This page (https://softsolder.com/2013/04/01/broom-handle-screw-thread-replacement-plug/) from "The Smell of Molten Projects in the Morning" has some details on plastic broom handle threads - potentially biased towards the US but nonetheless, enough to be going on. Ed's daily blog is well worth going through as well as an aside.

Neil Lickfold21/09/2023 10:42:47
1025 forum posts
204 photos

In the plastics industry, there are many threads that are non standard, as they make the tooling nominal sizes, and the shrinkage alters it. They also make the tooling with a guess of the calculated shrinkage , and will then tune/change the one that is either easiest to either change the diameter, or to make another with compensated pitch.

Glade that you have solved this one. Often I have made a cast of the thread, then measured it. just plaster of Paris works fairly good too.

Neil

Nick Hughes21/09/2023 10:57:39
307 forum posts
150 photos

Could be one of a couple on here:-

Obscure Threads

Edited By Nick Hughes on 21/09/2023 11:01:03

John Doe 221/09/2023 23:31:55
441 forum posts
29 photos

Thinking laterally;

1). Use a heat gun to soften the blue plastic coarse thread on that pole, then screw it into the die casting, (assuming the OD and ID are close enough).

2). Coat a suitable release agent onto the threads in the die casting, then insert a rod of smaller OD to the thread ID, and fill the gap with epoxy and hold the rod still until the epoxy has set hard.

3). If you don't need to ever disassemble it; don't use any release agent but just epoxy a suitable pole into the thread 'socket'

3a). Glue a short metal rod with a known thread on the outside end into the die casting, e.g an M12 bolt with the head cut off. Then drill and cut that known thread into the top of the pole you want to mount it on.

Sam Stones22/09/2023 02:35:49
922 forum posts
332 photos

Mr Lickfold, Neil, how dare you mention shrinkage? devil

Actually, I found it a breath of fresh air when you touched on (mould) shrinkage, with its many ramifications.

Upon reflection, it feels as if I spent a large chunk of my working life dealing with the subject, often against the flow of a few controversial 'recommendations'.

As for potting (either in plaster or epoxy), I ran a bit roughshod over Raphael Golez’ Macro-photography thread with this interjection …

**LINK**

Particularly potting in epoxy resin.to determine how two (M&F) threads aligned.

screw-cap-on-bottle---merge.jpg

I could prattle on but won't.

Cheers! (Loud ones)

Sam smile d

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate