By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Simon0362

Here is a list of all the postings Simon0362 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Trying to identify a bird-feeder thread.
21/09/2023 09:42:32
Posted by Sam Stones on 20/09/2023 22:09:45:

img20230920120214.jpg

"Specify this thread!"

It's fitted to the end of a domestic broom/brush handle.

This page (https://softsolder.com/2013/04/01/broom-handle-screw-thread-replacement-plug/) from "The Smell of Molten Projects in the Morning" has some details on plastic broom handle threads - potentially biased towards the US but nonetheless, enough to be going on. Ed's daily blog is well worth going through as well as an aside.

Thread: MEW 332
19/09/2023 13:22:47
And maybe something radiicalus?

Neil

That sounds horribilis...

Thread: PlusGas … variants
15/09/2023 17:27:41

Some years ago I was given a tin of Freeway 8-46 by a friend who worked at BA - I still have some left in the tin and it has been my 'go to' for all reluctant fixings. Usually a dribble plus a couple of minutes was sufficient but on occassions, an overnight soak did the trick. I see it is now available on the open market - recommended (even if that wasn't the thrust of Michael's message).
Simon

Thread: Buying Microsoft Office
14/09/2023 08:46:55

Clive,

I have 5 'grey' versions of Office and at least 3 of Win10. All purchased as described through eBay or our local version over here. All bar one have been without a problem. Occassionally I have been obliged to jump through a couple of additional hoops by calling a MS call centre (making a change from "MS" calling me )and confirming the package number or similar. When I buy, I go for the people who have shipped hundreds of similar ones which are not the rock bottom price.

All still work, get updates, are seen as legit by MS and are on both Windows PCs as well as on a selection of Macs. They can't be moved from machine to machine....but how frequently do you actually do that?

if you PM me, I will share the sources of the last couple I bought.

Simon

Thread: Latest ME, ELS Article
13/09/2023 09:37:23
Posted by Stephen Ward 1 on 13/09/2023 09:33:23:

The beauty for me of a ELS conversion is that it simply provides an alternative to messing around with gearboxes and change wheels. Prior to it I rarely cut threads on my lathe because I couldn't be bothered setting it up to do them and then having to switch back to get the fine feed again.

+1.....

13/09/2023 09:36:44
Posted by Tony Jeffree on 13/09/2023 09:17:30:

Simon

I would second what you have said - I converted my ML7 to CNC a few years ago, and I have to admit that the number of times I have used it under CNC control, other than to prove that it works, is small. I deliberately converted it in a way that makes it dual purpose - manual or CNC - and that was a very sound choice.

Regards,

Tony

Tony, your article back in 2004 (??) was the trigger for me looking into converting my mill....!

Simon

13/09/2023 08:43:51

For me, the differences between CNC on a mill and on a lathe are based around practical issues.

For background, I ‘converted’ the predecessor of a Cowells 90 some 40 years ago using discrete components and driven by a Sinclair ZX81 whilst working at a high tech electronics company. I swiftly learnt that that was only half the battle and that programming the CNC conversion was the significant other half (actually the remaining 95%). The lathe was converted back, used briefly and moved on to a more deserving owner. I subsequently converted my mill to CNC 15 years ago and I have used it very frequently ever since using the range of CAM solutions that have grown up in the last 20 years. My ‘go-to’ is CamBam but I think others have overtaken it by now – however, having paid for the licence and being familiar with it, I guess I won’t change for a while.

Once the mill conversion was functional (I would never say ‘complete’!), I looked at doing a lathe and eventually bought an Emco Compact5 PC, updated it to work with Mach 3 and then proceeded to do….nothing. As I discovered with my original conversion, CAM for lathes is far less available and IMO, more clunky and less user friendly. Most of the lower end ones seem to be a spin-off from a mill – CamBam being a good example.

Moreover, I found that the number of times that I wanted to turn something by CNC was limited – I don’t do that many operations that require ball ends, tapers or things that can only easily be done by CNC. So the Emco gathers dust and my trusty Chinese lathe carves up chunks of metal turning them into ever smaller pieces. It gains some upgrades to make life easier – speed control, DRO and ELS, but I don’t plan to do more in the near future – spoken as a strong CNC advocate…

Simon

12/09/2023 13:06:28

Thanks John, I followed your link to the issues tab and found the thread to shoulder page on Github.

And yes, after reading it through a couple of times, I agree, sounds complicated but I strongly suspect it will be easy in practice.

I will ponder extracting my TI board from the under bench location - or maybe a long USB lead and a spare laptop - one for when the weekends finally cool down here.

Simon

11/09/2023 14:06:31
Posted by duncan webster on 11/09/2023 12:33:15:

With mine it allows you to set a start and finish point, but I'm aware that the code has been breathed on by Steve Ward of electronic dividing fame. Not sure whether the original has this feature

Duncan, is this a Clough42 derivative or another?
If its from Mr. Clough, can you share some links please?

Simon

11/09/2023 12:00:24
Posted by John Hinkley on 10/09/2023 09:59:02:

I fitted a 4Nm closed loop stepper motor to my lathe when I followed James Clough's series for adding an ELS. The closed loop stepper eliminated "lost" steps by virtue of some clever electronic wizardry and/or software manipulation of data which I can't pretend to understand.

John

I went down the same route using a closed loop stepper and I have had no issues at all since installing it for either cutting threads or autofeed.
IMO, a really well-worth modification especially since I didn't have a gearbox and had to juggle change wheels every time I wanted to do anything - and it deals seamlessly with metric/imperial as well.

Simon

Thread: Tent garages - for a classic car
01/09/2023 15:50:27

Hi All,

I need to put some form of protective structure over my classic car before it becomes an integral part of the local scenary.

I looked at Carcoons and other similar controlled environments but a) I wanted to be able to easily work on the car and b) our location in the South of France means high ambient temperatures (high 30s) in summer and sub zero in the winter and I didn't feel that this type of cover would be suitable.

Looking further I came across a series of dedicated tents designed as garages with >60 cms all around access.
The price appears to be dictated by the weight of the structure (ranging from round 34/38mm tube to oval 32x45 mm) and the weight of the PVC covering.
These range from 450 through to 2300 but I have not really got a good feel for the effective differences in each grade in terms of longevity and ability to deal with the weather.
The site is moderatly exposed, we do get 70-80kph winds, very heavy rain and the aformentioned strong sun and heat....

BTW, price range is 500-1000€, my budget doesn't run to anything more expensive, however suitable it may be deemed to be...

So, after the long intro, does anyone have any experience that they can share?

Simon

Thread: 14BA die and 15 thou split pin.
15/08/2023 14:21:27
Posted by Bazyle on 15/08/2023 10:59:39:

The lathe they used for this had a system for correcting leadscrew errors which must have worked down in the tenth of thous region.

Sheer curiosity, but how on earth do they do that?

15/08/2023 08:41:19

Coincidentally, I spent a merry hour on Sunday morning replacing a nut on my reading glasses that had totally disappeared with no obvious trace.

This is what it should look like

img_5789.jpg

This is what I made as a replacement:

img_5788.jpg

Tube nut OD was 2.4mm, thickness was 1.4mm and tapped M1.4 which is definately the smallest I have ever done.

However it fades into insignificance to some of the work shown here, deeply impressed!

Simon

Thread: Taper Roller Ring Removal
11/08/2023 08:36:57
Posted by Macolm on 10/08/2023 21:05:11:

I am not clear as to the exact configuration, but I have managed to extract bearing outer tracks by using a suitable size rawl bolt.

Total tangent but I am fascinated by Malcolm having exactly the same thoughts as I did regarding Rawlbolts but he typed quicker than I did. I only saw his response this morning reviewing last night's messages! How do you spell 'coincidence....?

10/08/2023 21:12:14

Not sure of the bore sizes but I used to remove the thrust bearing in blind holes in the back of a flywheel using:

• a Rawlbolt expanding masonry bolt screwed into the hole and tightened
  • a slide hammer with a crude adapter to attach it to the Rawlbolt.

I wonder if you could create a similar arrangement to a) grip the bearing and b) slide hammer it out?

Hopefully some food for thought.

Simon

Thread: Are All Our Heritage Industries being Outsourced now
10/08/2023 21:03:27

I was brought up with the mantra that if something broke, first you took it apart to find out why, second you tried to repair the part that was broken, third you purchased a replacement part if stage 2 didn’t work or the ubiquitous Araldite wasn’t sufficient and then step four in extremis was to dismantle the object removing all ‘useful’ fixtures, flat sheet and anything else before consigning to the bin and purchasing a new one.

I appreciate that modern systems don’t lend themselves to this methodology but equally there is far more information available to explain what might be wrong and how to fix it and a larger pool of potential spares.

I personally take pride in keeping household technology running – our 15 year old dishwasher started to leak and it took the best part of a morning to totally dismantle to access and clean the main seal, coat with plumbing grade silicone and reassemble it. However, a) it doesn’t head for landfill, b) I don’t have to replace it with something no better, potentially built further down to a price and c) It gives me great satisfaction.

I admire others like Peter Cook6 for following the same route and encourage those who call the repair man to do a basic analysis themselves, saving callout and potential scams.

Simon

Thread: Repair a small cast bell
05/08/2023 14:04:50
Posted by david bennett 8 on 04/08/2023 23:15:37:

" Nobuho heats up the kettle and brushes the lacquer on "

Anyone looking for an easy solution for a matching colour will almost certainly fail For centuries the japanese were the masters of decorative metalwork, and their knowledge probably extends to even a simple object like this bell. The wise words - that it is the most skilled work, by the most experienced, should be carefully considered. Oh sure you can find a cheap western alternative, but it will never match the original. Why would they give away their commercial secrets?

dave8

Dave (and others) - very true - and if I simply wanted another cast iron bell, I am sure I could find a brand new one though.

However the challenge of returning it to one piece and the pleasure of discovering that it has retained it's tone is, for me, part of the fun.

Equally, there are any number of people on the web describing how to apply verdigris-like paint finishes which would be the simple solution. I enjoy the challenge of trying to reproduce the original finish - even if the initial challenge is to discover what it may have been.

To mis-quote JFK: " I choose to go to fix the bell, not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of my energies and skills..."

Thread: French model Engineers
02/08/2023 13:15:45

Hi Robin,

I'm 80kms from Roland so equally unlikely to help you, but that won't stop me welcoming you here - bienvenu!

Simon

Thread: Repair a small cast bell
01/08/2023 08:49:40
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 01/08/2023 07:51:55:

Fascinating video, Bill … thanks for sharing it

Frustrating though, to hear only the word lacquer used in reference to whatever was dusted onto the hot metal

MichaelG.

Yes, agree with Michael on both counts....

31/07/2023 19:10:35

Thanks Michael, good to know that you are on the case!

I did wonder about copper plating, just wasn't sure that this is how it would have been done originally.

Hopefully your penance will reveal all!

Simon

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate