By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Workshop going into storage - Rust Prevention?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bazyle21/11/2022 19:19:31
6956 forum posts
229 photos

Don't use vinegar or evaporust for protection - they are derusters that must be washed off after a few minutes.
+1 for clear Waxoyl but dilute it 25-50 % with white spirit so that it 'dries' to a thin film that feels like a Postit note glue. This is more hand friendly than oil and will clear off when the tool is used or oiled for use. I use it routinely for tools and stock material.

Master of none21/11/2022 19:29:21
22 forum posts
2 photos
Posted by J Hancock on 21/11/2022 17:17:37:

Many, many years ago MEng did a test on this subject.

Three-in-one oil came out way ahead of all the other fluids used to provide protection against corrosion.

img_20220718_204736864.jpg

I tried this test a while ago. Five pieces of identical plate suspended beneath the eaves of my garage for a period of months, From the left:

No treatment

Muck Off

3 in 1

WD40

Waxoil (best).

I use white spirit to remove it

peak421/11/2022 21:01:09
2207 forum posts
210 photos

I tend to use ACF-50 for motorcycle/car use and Motorex 645 where I want a clear protective spray such as penknives in my collection.
http://www.acf-50.co.uk/
https://www.motorworks.co.uk/moto-protect-spray-oia11043-1.html

I've never used Owatrol, but have read good reports, though the previous products I mentioned are probably cheaper
https://www.owatroldirect.co.uk/product/owatrol-oil/

I also tend to line boxes and drawers with VCI paper; I bought a bit bag full off eBay some time ago.

Bill

Edited By peak4 on 21/11/2022 21:02:49

peak416/06/2023 13:34:23
2207 forum posts
210 photos

To rejuvenate an older thread, I've just been looking around to stock up on some more ACF-50.
At the moment Opie Oils seem to be having a clear-out of some out of date stocks of the US quart bottles.

Have a search on Ebay, where you will find it for £9 per bottle, reducing to £7.65 for quantities of four or more.

I'm guessing that it does have a longer shelf life than the one printed on the containers, but needs an expiry date as it's marketed for the aviation industry.

Bill

JA16/06/2023 14:08:06
1605 forum posts
83 photos

It would be nice to know if Kevin, who started this topic, had a successful house move with no rusting of tools.

JA

Speedy Builder516/06/2023 14:48:00
2878 forum posts
248 photos

I am not sure that I would use Owatrol - a good product for painting rusty iron to leave a protected rustic finish, also use as an addition to oil paint to kill rust. Also good as a varnish on very thin wood like wood turned lamp shades.

If you painted it onto taps, dies, precision tools etc it would be like varnishing them !!

My two penneth worth.

Bob

Howard Lewis16/06/2023 15:11:37
7227 forum posts
21 photos

Mention of Sozzle brings back memories from long ago.

Very effective.

Probably what is used by the military when putting items into store, and not easy to remove.

(We used to use a steam cleaner when stripping engines for the routine check after about five years in store before reassembly and reprotection ).

WD40 and its look alikes tend to contain a high prportion of solvent, and little oil, but will penetrate into less accessible areas.

VPI is effective, but being a vapour can dissipate over time.

For measuring instruments I have used a lanolin based product, (Bought from Chronos; a long time ago)

It is VERY sticky, and is best squeezed from the tube after it has been warmed and thinned in HOT water.

For other applications, such as machines, the objective is to seal out moisture and oxygen, to prevent corrosion.

WAXOYL, possibly heavily diluted with white spirit, will be very effective. After, it can be removed by further application of white spirit.

Spraying my ML7 with ordinary lubricationg oil produced a grey emulsion of oil and moisture after a short time, so would be wary of just using oil as the protection, since it seems to be a risk after not too long.

Spreading grease over surfaces is labour intensive, (and you have to be careful to cover every exposed area ), but is effective.

Howard

Jon Lawes17/06/2023 11:12:48
1078 forum posts

The military use PX24, with variants called PX32 etc with varying viscosity. The aircraft get liberally coated with PX24 when operating over saltwater.

Robert Atkinson 217/06/2023 11:37:23
1891 forum posts
37 photos

LPS-3 is a product intended for this application and provides at least two years protection. Available as liquid or aerosol
https://www.techsil.co.uk/lps3-rust-inhibitor-380ml

Robert.

Bill Phinn17/06/2023 16:12:54
1076 forum posts
129 photos
Posted by Robert Atkinson 2 on 17/06/2023 11:37:23:

LPS-3 is a product intended for this application and provides at least two years protection. Available as liquid or aerosol
https://www.techsil.co.uk/lps3-rust-inhibitor-380ml

Robert.

I got some of that after seeing its apparently superior rust inhibiting properties on Stuart de Haro's channel.

I've not used it long enough to be able to tell whether it's actually ahead of the competition and if so by how much.

The manufacturer's own price looks a bit steep.

Samsaranda17/06/2023 18:23:19
1688 forum posts
16 photos

I have used ACF 50, not cheap but certainly works well, depends how much value you put on your tools and equipment. Dave W

peak417/06/2023 18:32:03
2207 forum posts
210 photos
Posted by Samsaranda on 17/06/2023 18:23:19:

I have used ACF 50, not cheap but certainly works well, depends how much value you put on your tools and equipment. Dave W

The only reason I rejuvenated this thread was to point out that there's some out of date stock, currently available on eBay, at less than ½ price if anyone needs any.

Bill

bernard towers18/06/2023 10:17:00
1221 forum posts
161 photos

hydraulic oils are not water soluble I Have 4 machines in an unheated garage that use hydraulic oil as a coolant and do not have trouble with rust even when the temperature changes dramatically and condensation is on every thing. I get mine from a local ag engineers after they have done oil changes.

Robert Atkinson 218/06/2023 10:20:45
1891 forum posts
37 photos

Both ACF 50 and LPS 3 are high quality products.

The difference between then is the time that they protect for. ACF 50 is 6 to 12 months while LPS 3 is 1 to 2 years. The downside to the longer protection is LPS 3 leaves a thicker coating that may need claening off before using some items.

Robert.

David George 118/06/2023 12:40:47
2110 forum posts
565 photos

Last night I got my go to rust prevention aerosol out to look at it for more information. This morning it was all over my bench spraying my next prodject and drawings etc. I found that the can had leaked about halfway down like a pin hole in the metal. I presume rusted from the outside from a scratch as the can is at least 20 years old. The spray forms a plastic like coating when dried and prevents rusting etc. Still hsve one more can left. I also have a can of dewatering fluid which you can spray on to anything to get rid of moisture.

20230618_122556.jpg

20230618_122657.jpg

David

Kevin Murrell19/06/2023 11:24:22
59 forum posts
6 photos

Just to finish this off. New workshop now built and everything has survived!

I used ACF 50 with a sprayer.

Now to clean everything off and align all the kit again. Actually something I enjoy!

Kevin

Roger Best17/08/2023 16:54:41
406 forum posts
56 photos

Hooray. smiley

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate