Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

THE MIDLAND - THE ONLY SHOW IN TOWN !

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Dave Wootton28/06/2022 15:54:18
505 forum posts
99 photos

It's a long way for me, from Folkestone right on the south east coast, but after not visiting any kind of show for coming on three years I can't wait! Silly fuel prices or not I'll be there, used to take these things for granted at one time, but I agree with Noel , It's use it or lose it. Worth a little effort to get there and support our traders and the organisers.

Dave

Martin Kyte28/06/2022 16:29:16
3445 forum posts
62 photos

A few years ago we would go to London twice, Harrogate and the Midlands show. This year there is only the Midlands. On a crude average the fuel could be 4 times the price which it isn't and still be less expense than a normal year.

I shall go to the show, cheap at half the price.

regards Martin

Edited By Martin Kyte on 28/06/2022 16:30:55

mal webber29/06/2022 17:25:11
154 forum posts
309 photos

For me it will be weather dependent as 348 mile round trip on a motorcycle will not be very nice in crap weather so fingers crossed.

Limpet29/06/2022 20:42:55
136 forum posts
5 photos

Never been to MEX before - just booked my ticket and hotel 400 mile round trip, not even thinking about the fuel costs

Lionel

JohnF30/06/2022 11:45:33
1243 forum posts
202 photos

To put it into perspective its about a 340 mile round trip so 10gall of fuel now costing £90 but before the same 10 gall would have cost approx £60 [1.35/lt] a difference of £30 considering there will be 4 travelling its not a deal breaker.

John

Nigel Graham 230/06/2022 16:59:32
3293 forum posts
112 photos

The last few times I was at MEX I was helping on a society stand so although there on two full days plus the setting-up day, still had a long weekend's camping fees. Luckily I found a basic but good enough camp-site for very reasonable cost at Harbury only a few miles away, but my round-trip from home is about 300 miles. It is just about within day-visit range for me if I attend on only one day.

I concur fully with the others who say we should support our Exhibitions.

I had also regularly visited Alexandra Palace but in groups sharing a car. Not me driving though. I could not drive in London these days, even without the "congestion tax"!

I've also visited Doncaster, once. I found navigating to the venue so difficult and fraught, even with "sat-nag", I vowed never again and prayed for a return to Harrogate.

'

I see our suppliers are beginning to say they will be there. CuP (I was reading its web-site yesterday), JB Cutting-tools...

So let's be there with our shopping-lists, 6" rules and the tack-welds knocked off our wallets...

'

I spent one of my two "days off" from the Worcestershire do in the past, in Stratford-on-Avon, but may sample Royal Leamington Spa or Coventry this time; using an intervening railway-station as a sort of "park and ride" service. (There is no station at Harbury, as far as I know.) Nor do I know if the camp-site is still operating but as many of the owner's out-of-season customers are contractors working nearby on HS2 (he told me) there is a good chance it will be.

The other day's leave from the club stand? The MMEX co-incides with the AGM and Dinner weekend of one of my caving-clubs, and in the last few occasions I had travelled back to the Meeting on the Saturday morning, but not staying for the Dinner as though I would stop overnight at the club's self-catering accommodation, that would impose a long round-trip on the Sunday; back to the show then all the way home. Whether I will again is another matter, because the caving-club and its AGM venue are on the Mendip Hills, approaching two-thirds of the way back home. And as everyone else points out, with the price of petrol now....

Besides, that weekend, my model-engineering takes priority!

duncan webster01/07/2022 15:14:53
5307 forum posts
83 photos

Last time I went I used the train. Even with fuel price back then it was cheaper than car and a lot less hassle. Get a geriatrics rail card and book well in advance. They even had a shuttle bus from the station.

Ian Hewson01/07/2022 15:41:16
354 forum posts
33 photos

Just checked the train price for two of us return, £283-00.

Mike Poole01/07/2022 15:47:38
3676 forum posts
82 photos

That buys a lot of fuel.

Mike

duncan webster01/07/2022 16:22:41
5307 forum posts
83 photos

For me it's a 230 mile round trip, or £36 on the train. No contest, I can't run a car for 16p per mile. Even if 2 of us went it would be close, but SWMBO isn't into model engineering.

duncan webster01/07/2022 16:25:24
5307 forum posts
83 photos

With a split ticket it's £33

Baz01/07/2022 18:59:22
1033 forum posts
2 photos

Anytime return on the train for me would be £114.40 and that’s the cheapest,

duncan webster01/07/2022 19:12:24
5307 forum posts
83 photos

But do you need anytime, off peak is much cheaper, and railcard reduces it again. I get mine for nowt instead of a bus pass.

JA01/07/2022 19:54:57
1605 forum posts
83 photos

If you are old enough and live anywhere in England, use your bus pass. The money you save will get you two nights in a good B&B and a taxis both ways.

However I will drive the 80 or so miles with a friend, stay a few hours and have a good, late, pub lunch on the way home.

JA

Anthony Kendall04/07/2022 09:54:34
178 forum posts
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 30/06/2022 16:59:32:

The last few times I was at MEX I was helping on a society stand so although there on two full days plus the setting-up day, still had a long weekend's camping fees. Luckily I found a basic but good enough camp-site for very reasonable cost at Harbury only a few miles away, but my round-trip from home is about 300 miles. It is just about within day-visit range for me if I attend on only one day.

I regret to break the trend of a list of costs to get to Leamington from various parts of the country but....
You don't say what your club is doing this year. Even before Covid, club members were starting to say "What's in it for us?"

I sense that feeling to be a great deal stronger now and why bother to have the hassle and inconvenience of organising and running a stand? Does anyone really appreciate the fact?
Top that with the criticism you take from smart****s who just criticise things to look clever.
The last time I went I saw a bloke who knew of some of the inaccuracies of the Martin Evans Springbok design and went round several stands shouting about it.

I think most clubs will have a hardcore of the same few people who do things, but they are getting less.

Isn't it the case that the clubs are getting less interested and traders realise it's not worth them doing either.

People here say it must be supported else it will disappear.
Is there a point in keeping something going which nobody really wants to put on and few visitors really care enough to pay the price to go?

I live within 25 miles but find it difficult to muster enough interest to go. It is mainly the same old stuff, the clientelle is generally very rude - rucksacking and barging, apart from the fact some of them want a good wash!

Just my point of view - it's just a day out, no more than that. Other days out are available.

not done it yet04/07/2022 12:07:34
7517 forum posts
20 photos
Posted by Anthony Kendall on 04/07/2022 09:54:34:

I regret to break the trend of a list of costs to get to Leamington from various parts of the country but....
You don't say what your club is doing this year. Even before Covid, club members were starting to say "What's in it for us?"

I sense that feeling to be a great deal stronger now and why bother to have the hassle and inconvenience of organising and running a stand? Does anyone really appreciate the fact?
Top that with the criticism you take from smart****s who just criticise things to look clever.
The last time I went I saw a bloke who knew of some of the inaccuracies of the Martin Evans Springbok design and went round several stands shouting about it.

I think most clubs will have a hardcore of the same few people who do things, but they are getting less.

Isn't it the case that the clubs are getting less interested and traders realise it's not worth them doing either.

People here say it must be supported else it will disappear.
Is there a point in keeping something going which nobody really wants to put on and few visitors really care enough to pay the price to go?

I live within 25 miles but find it difficult to muster enough interest to go. It is mainly the same old stuff, the clientelle is generally very rude - rucksacking and barging, apart from the fact some of them want a good wash!

Just my point of view - it's just a day out, no more than that. Other days out are available.

Can we take it that you won’t be going?

Edited By not done it yet on 04/07/2022 12:08:24

Raymond Griffin04/07/2022 13:19:15
65 forum posts
48 photos

Having followed this thread from Noel's first note, it seems that few go because they enjoy it.

I can understand Noel being keen to promote the show. Having seen him at past shows he has enormous enthusiasm and puts on a great and knowledgeable display of casting metal.

I go because I enjoy seeing the work of other model engineers. I like browsing on the trade stands and buying the pieces that are difficult in the post. I like the atmosphere of knowing that there are other likeminded enthusiasts present.

It will cost me more than a few pounds on fuel. I will have to take a flight with the attendant chaos of UK airports and the UK border, hire a car and stay in a hotel for a few nights. To my mind, it is very worthwhile, and I thank the organizers and participants of stands for taking the trouble to make sure that the show goes on.

I agree with the previous note about people barging about with backpacks. It’s bad enough with some people at airports and in aircraft.

Ray G

noel shelley04/07/2022 22:28:17
2308 forum posts
33 photos

Ray, Thank you for your comments ! If you are a model engineer, then there WILL be something in it for you and will be free ! Nearer the time I will explain ! Noel

Edited By noel shelley on 04/07/2022 22:29:04

V8Eng04/07/2022 23:59:23
1826 forum posts
1 photos

In the last two years my car has only travelled a quarter of the mileage  I would usually expect to cover in one year due to Covid restrictions and family disasters.

Assuming the ongoing family issues get sorted out before then I shall regard the 180 mile round trip as worthwhile for a very good show.

Edited By V8Eng on 05/07/2022 00:06:01

Neil Wyatt05/07/2022 23:22:09
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles

I will be there, there will have to be road blocks if anyone wants to stop me!

Neil

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate