By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Limpet

Here is a list of all the postings Limpet has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: THE MIDLAND - THE ONLY SHOW IN TOWN !
29/06/2022 20:42:55

Never been to MEX before - just booked my ticket and hotel 400 mile round trip, not even thinking about the fuel costs

Lionel

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2020
22/07/2020 13:33:44

Colin I wouldn't worry too much as raid 5 over 3 disks will give you 1 disk redundancy anyway. The hot spare is so you can immediately go back to 1 disk redundancy. You only lose data if a second disk in a 3 disk raid 5 fails

Lionel

Thread: Drill sharpening?
11/06/2020 19:06:19
Posted by John Baron on 11/06/2020 16:55:25:

Hi Guys,

I can recommend having a look at

http://www.gadgetbuilder.com/

Under drill grinders. I built the Four Facet drill grinder and can vouch for its ability to produce accurate repeatable sharp drills.

Although I can do (sometimes) passible hand grind I am currently building gadget builders incarnation, I have both picador and drill doctor but don't get on with either of them

Lionel

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2020
06/06/2020 23:07:53

Well finished today the Hemmingway crank handle, gradually improving but very slow, but it's usable so that's a good start, and a couple of chuck keys for the four jaw which were missing img_20200604_103859_185.jpgimg_20200528_110411_479.jpg

Thread: Coronavirus
30/03/2020 10:39:26

Best wishes to you and your daughter Dave, hope for a quick recovery

26/03/2020 18:39:11

Just a reminder for all in isolation, it might pay to disconnect your car battery and chock your wheels with handbrake off (in low gear or park, depending which way you park) I just went to start mine and it struggled. It could be a long haul yet

Keep safe all

25/03/2020 22:49:42

Thank you Sakura and Martin for your thoughts I hope we all come out the other side, and the world becomes a better place for it. The only benefit is you get to spend time with each other rather than having to go here there and everywhere

Keep safe all

25/03/2020 21:36:42

I feel like I'm getting paranoid about all this. My wife has just finished chemotherapy and I suffer asthma. We have totally isolated for just over a week now and are treating anything new into 'our bubble' as a threat. All non urgent things get put into a room we don't use, with disposable gloves and left for 4 days all urgent is opened with gloves and dealt with, and food containers treated with a disinfectant wipe. Am I being paranoid?

Edited By Limpet on 25/03/2020 21:37:26

21/03/2020 10:56:49

Ady1

If you think that the pensioners have it easy just think of all who already have and those about to give up their lives due to the virus - are you volunteering for that.

Thread: What are you reading?
19/03/2020 23:23:28

My current read is Nicola Tesla, what a brilliant mind

Thread: Coronavirus
18/03/2020 21:47:01
Posted by V8Eng on 18/03/2020 16:37:02:

We now have real proof that this is serious: The BBC have suspended filming of Eastenders

Every cloud has a silver lining

16/03/2020 14:52:14

My surgery rang and cancelled my asthma review this morning, but I'm only a few miles from Torbay so it's not surprising. For me I'd rather get it over and done with early while I'm reasonably fit but my wife has just finishing a course of chemotherapy so it's still a case of only going out for essentials as we have since last October for risk of any infection being passed on to her.

Is it time to dig out the equivalent of a nuclear fallout shelter and hibernate in it for the next year ?

Keep safe all

Lionel

15/03/2020 21:57:51
Posted by Rod Renshaw on 15/03/2020 21:13:14:

So, how do you make a ventilator

Will there be a build series in the next ME or MEW

Lionel

Thread: Pocketmags withdraws support for Windows 10
25/02/2020 13:18:51
Posted by JasonB on 25/02/2020 12:53:27:

I got this reply back earlier this morning which would explain why I was able to still download issues yesterday pm. So looks like they are still doing some sort of support for W10 as they have tweaked things to work after the latest W10 update

"Microsoft had recently released a new update to their Windows 10 operating system and this had rendered the Pocketmags Offline Reader non-functional. Since this was unplanned, we were unable to communicate this to our customers. However, we have since been working to find a resolution for this issue and are happy to inform you that the app is functional again. Apologies for the inconvenience this has caused.

Please re-launch the app and log in to the app with your pocketmags details to access your magazines. If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact us."

That's very strange going by the reply I received from pocetmags yesterday am I quote

"I am sorry that you are facing issues with the Windows app. Unfortunately, we have been informed that there would not be any further updates to the Windows app and hence would recommend that you please use the HTML5 reader via our website by logging in with your Pocketmags details. For best results, please use the latest versions of Chrome or Firefox browsers"

I suppose the question that needs answering now is Are they continuing to support the Windows app enabling a download or not?

Lionel

Edited By Limpet on 25/02/2020 13:19:32

25/02/2020 09:39:13

Jason

It's all very strange but the thumbnails are visible this morning and the download works. Now I know that this has not been available for a week or so and thought it may just be a temporary glitch at their end. This gives the impression that PM deliberately disabled the Windows app to force you to on-line viewing in the hope that nobody would complain. Very underhand if this is the case

Many thanks for your efforts

Lionel

Edited By Limpet on 25/02/2020 09:39:45

24/02/2020 22:14:35

Jason

This morning the thumbnails were blank and would not download I will try again in the morning and let you know

Lionel

24/02/2020 13:47:15

I usually view the mag on a laptop so like to download to read when I offline, although i also have a small tablet it's more hassle to make the print big enough to read and navigate the page and you have to keep moving the image to stop auto shutdown. It's very bad to discontinue windows support without giving customers notice beforehand.

Lionel

24/02/2020 10:33:06

What's up with Pocketmags as they have stopped supporting their Windows 10 app. Issues are available via their website but you can no longer download to a Windows PC. Where does that leave subscribers whow view their mags via a laptop with limited web access.

Lionel

Thread: Electronic Lead Screw Project
15/02/2020 18:25:31

Hi Dias

I can answer one of your questions ALM would be for Alarm both + and -

Lionel

Thread: Australian Bush Fires
06/01/2020 12:36:19

Paul, XD351 & all our friends from down under, the devastation you are suffering is truly alarming irrespective of the true cause. We hope that you get rain soon (however unlikely) and your situation there improves. Best wishes and good luck for the immediate future

Lionel

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate