Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

What defines BILLET …

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Michael Gilligan03/10/2023 07:06:40
23121 forum posts
1360 photos

I suppose it could depend upon the scale at which one is working, but I am surprised by some of the small items on ebay that are listed as billets of Aluminium Alloy.

My understanding [such as it is] was probably based on Aerospace components which were often machined from a [presumed stress-fee and void-free] billet of material in preference to using [ riskier] castings.

Many CNC-machined components are identified as ‘billet’ for that reason.

Harrison brakes use the term as a ‘brand’

… but, is word legitimately appropriate to [for example] a 70mm square of alloy which appears to have been cut from sheet ?

… or only to a ‘lump’ taken from a much larger volume ?

dont know Just wondering.

MichaelG.

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 03/10/2023 07:13:02

pgk pgk03/10/2023 07:48:54
2661 forum posts
294 photos

Several definitions online but most consistently as a small piece of rolled or cast material for further machining.

Perhaps it just sounds more up-market for the entitled generations than 'scrap end' or 'nubbin' ?

pgk

Frances IoM03/10/2023 08:01:08
1395 forum posts
30 photos
during student years many eons ago I worked in a aluminium extrusion + rolling mill - the large slugs or billets of Ali straight from the refining plant were if I recall correctly about 6 inch dia and about 18 inch long - squeezed to give 10m or longer lengths of rail etc
Martin Connelly03/10/2023 08:04:20
2549 forum posts
235 photos

Do the online definitions include roughly cut or sized? That's how I always imagine a billet to be. So faces that are not flat or have been flame cut or rough cut on a saw for example and certainly not to exact dimensions all round.

Martin C

Michael Gilligan03/10/2023 08:18:15
23121 forum posts
1360 photos
Posted by Frances IoM on 03/10/2023 08:01:08:
during student years many eons ago I worked in a aluminium extrusion + rolling mill - the large slugs or billets of Ali straight from the refining plant were if I recall correctly about 6 inch dia and about 18 inch long - squeezed to give 10m or longer lengths of rail etc

Thanks, all for the replies so far

This one, Frances, is perhaps particularly relevant to my question:

Your billet, for extrusion, is essentially an homogenous and stress free ‘lump’ of material with a modest aspect-ratio … but does a small piece of the resulting extrusion also qualify as a billet, I wonder.

MichaelG.

Nigel Graham 203/10/2023 08:32:36
3293 forum posts
112 photos

The word billet is not confined to aluminium alloy.

It does not mean "scrap".

It does not indicate any particular metal, grade or physical properties.

It is an ill-defined term for an ingot to be extruded, or short length or slice of cut bar stock.

The latter, typically but not necessarily round, is usually either of a specific length for a particular purpose (including sales-units as by our retailers), or is the bar-end from cutting those pieces.

It is an old, generic word and cannot possibly be used as a trade-name.

Nick Clarke 303/10/2023 08:39:23
1607 forum posts
69 photos

What I find equally interesting is that according to an on line dictionary the alternative definition is:

1 archaic : a brief letter

2 a: an official order directing that a member of a military force be provided with board and lodging (as in a private home)

b: quarters assigned by or as if by a billet

and I receive an invitation to a formal meeting described as a billet every so often.

So not only why billet for metal but why two so different meanings?

Michael Gilligan03/10/2023 08:39:53
23121 forum posts
1360 photos

Just for clarity [of which there is little, these days]

**LINK**

https://www.billet.co.uk/index2.html?home.html~mainFrame

MichaelG.

Check the ‘about us’ link

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 03/10/2023 08:40:57

MichaelR03/10/2023 08:53:57
528 forum posts
79 photos

And then we have Billet as in temporarily lodged soldiers frown

MichaelR

Nick Clark3 beat me .

Edited By MichaelR on 03/10/2023 09:00:41

Edited By MichaelR on 03/10/2023 09:01:04

Nicholas Farr03/10/2023 09:09:52
3988 forum posts
1799 photos

Hi MichaelG, my dictionary says (as in the case of metal) is a bar of iron or steel in an intermediate stage of manufacture, which is, Middle English, from old French billette, billot, diminutive of bille, log, block, tree trunk. from Medieval Latin billus, >. It seems that it can be any metal now though, from Astro Machine Works being used in a manufacturing process, rather than the manufacturing process itself.

Regards Nick.

Ady103/10/2023 09:31:05
6137 forum posts
893 photos

"Billet" sounds better than "lump" for sales purposes

Circlip03/10/2023 10:02:14
1723 forum posts

Another term widely bandied about by our brethren across the pond to try to re-write (rite) the English dictionary. All the Custom builders use the term as the holy grail for normally Aluminium machined components.

Regards Ian.

JasonB03/10/2023 10:12:54
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

I always thought of a billet as a slice off a bar say a 1" thick slice from some 6" CI bar.

But it has become the norm of anything machined from the solid as opposed to a rough casting or fabricated. The US users above use it to mean cut from solid, they would not use it for a machined cast aluminium component. So a billet engine block will be from a solid piece not a machined casting or a wheel will be from solid round stock not a casting or forging.

Chris Pearson 103/10/2023 10:14:17
189 forum posts
3 photos

A piece of metal (any metal) which is sufficient for making one article.

Dave Halford03/10/2023 12:11:57
2536 forum posts
24 photos

These days Billet, mostly due to the car modding world usage has come to mean anything not made from a casting, but whittled from the solid. So by extension any old lump of non cast metal becomes a billet, though round and flat bar & sheet have remained the same providing they still look like bar and sheet.

English has a nasty habit of moving on without us innit.

Michael Gilligan03/10/2023 12:19:55
23121 forum posts
1360 photos

For info. … This was the ebay listing which prompted the question: **LINK**

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162747005133

… and I then discovered that the use of ‘billet’ was surprisingly widespread.

MichaelG.

David Senior03/10/2023 13:49:23
30 forum posts
8 photos

The listing only includes billet in the title - probably just to try and cram in as many slightly relevant keywords as possible.

For what it is worth, I consider when used in the context such as 'billet aluminium part' it means, as several people have mentioned, machined from a solid block.

Dave

Michael Gilligan03/10/2023 17:03:41
23121 forum posts
1360 photos
Posted by David Senior on 03/10/2023 13:49:23:

The listing only includes billet in the title - probably just to try and cram in as many slightly relevant keywords as possible.

[…]

Quite so … but many of the others major on the word billet

I’m not going to labour this … I just asked a question and have had a variety of answers.

That will suffice for me, thanks.

MichaelG.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate