By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Chris Pearson 1

Here is a list of all the postings Chris Pearson 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Drain plug
04/10/2023 23:03:21

I trust that Milly has an answer, but by way of thread drift, my modern car has no dipstick so the only way out is via the drain plug. Somewhere in there must be a level gauge.

Thread: Wera hand-tools
04/10/2023 10:11:32

RS are seldom the cheapest.

I tend to prefer Facom, but they are not cheap either.

Thread: Best way of moving milling machine
03/10/2023 16:48:21

In my experience, drivers are very happy to place a pallet in any reasonably convenient spot. The exception was recently when I had a pallet-load of bricks delivered. He didn't have a pallet truck so he just lifted them over the boundary wall with his HIAB.

I'd use my engine hoist - you may be able to hire one locally.

Thread: What defines BILLET …
03/10/2023 10:14:17

A piece of metal (any metal) which is sufficient for making one article.

Thread: RIP record no 24
02/10/2023 19:03:51

Top tip: don't get in a fight with Ian Parkin - he must be very strong. surprise

Thread: What is EN58 used for?
01/10/2023 20:22:16

You are not the only one! I had a dreadful night last night. It started with being cold, and ended with incredible thirst and drenching the sheets. Better now!

Thread: Paul newbie from Lichfield
01/10/2023 20:07:51

What do you want to make?

I think that the driver should be (round) things that you want to make. Then you need to figure out how to do it and just get on with it. Try to make your mistakes early in the process. We all make them and have to start again, but it is easier to do so near the beginning.

Thread: Bolt or screw?
26/09/2023 19:58:20
Posted by Robert Atkinson 2 on 26/09/2023 19:30:16:

I'm firmly in the fully threaded = screw, plain shank = bolt. For load bearing applications screws should only be in tension. Bolts can be in shear, tension or both.

I agree with the first point, but as I said above, some bolts are screws and some screws are bolts.

My understanding is that if, for example, two plates are bolted together, the tension in the bolts clamps the plates such that the friction between them exceeds any shearing force. The shanks of the bolts themselves should not be subjected to a shearing force.

Thread: Peculiar electrical problem
26/09/2023 18:43:11
Posted by Robert Atkinson 2 on 26/09/2023 18:25:11:

what is the current in the protective conductor?

Yesterday, I measured 3.0 A. It seems to fluctuate quite a bit. Generally, it seems to lie between 10% and 25% of the current in the Line.

Thread: Bolt or screw?
26/09/2023 18:17:49

There are many sorts of bolts, such as a projectile fired from a crossbow, part of a firearm, a door catch; but this is what OED says about our sort:

"A stout metal pin with a head, used for holding things fast together. It may be permanently fixed, secured by riveting or by a nut, as the bolts of a ship; or movable, passing through a hole, as the bolts of a shutter."

A screw has a helical thread, but they are not necessarily for holding things together. You probably have one on the front of your lathe.

26/09/2023 17:31:22
Posted by Robert Atkinson 2 on 26/09/2023 15:54:38:
Posted by Chris Pearson 1 on 26/09/2023 13:21:46:
Posted by Martin Shaw 1 on 25/09/2023 23:58:17:

Like most properties of the age of mine in a town or city the earthing is TNS.

Then I think that you can quite reasonably conclude that your machines are sound.

However, with TN-C-S current in the earthing conductor may have nothing to do with leakage so if you find it, you cannot conclude that something is amiss.

(And don't forget that even with what looks like TN-S, there may be N-E links nearby.)

Hi Chris,

Can you please explain your reasoning behind the earthing system making a difference to machine leakage current? I think I'm missing something.

Any connection between neutral and earth downstream from an RCD will alost certainly cause it to trip.

Robert.

Robert, A couple of hundred Ohms of resistance in an TT earth path might make a milliamp or two of difference, but that is not my point.

If the supply is TN-C-S and there are any diverted neutral currents, they will swamp any earth leakage so you cannot necessarily measure it by looking at the current in the earthing conductor.

I was referring to the N-E link, which is normally in the service head, but there will almost certainly be other links nearby such as a neighbouring property or street lamps.

Some of my electrons appear to be going from N to E then through the bonding to the gas pipe then to at least one neighbour's gas pipe, along their bonding to the main earthing terminal and then back to the transformer via E or N, or a combination of the two.

Just now, I got a reading of 0.40 A with my clamp meter around L, N, and E together.

26/09/2023 13:21:46
Posted by Martin Shaw 1 on 25/09/2023 23:58:17:

Like most properties of the age of mine in a town or city the earthing is TNS.

Then I think that you can quite reasonably conclude that your machines are sound.

However, with TN-C-S current in the earthing conductor may have nothing to do with leakage so if you find it, you cannot conclude that something is amiss.

(And don't forget that even with what looks like TN-S, there may be N-E links nearby.)

25/09/2023 21:42:51

Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 25/09/2023 21:17:00

Chris has me worried though: if the clamp is put over LN and E and the leak is due to a suppressor, the clamp won't detect it because the 3 magnet fields balance. It will detect a leak due to faulty insulation and a damp floor, because then not all the leak current goes back along the earth wire. Is that right?

Yes, I think so, but that is exactly what you want to avoid - you do not want the bed of your machine at anything above earth voltage. There is a big difference between faulty insulation and earth leakage. If the bits and bobs in your VFD are "leaking" they are supposed to return to earth via the CPC.

If there were no earth leakage at all, why have RCDs at 30 mA rather than say 10 mA. (Yes 10 MA ones are available.)

25/09/2023 21:36:28
Posted by Robert Atkinson 2 on 25/09/2023 17:55:43:
A mill bolted to an even slightly damp concrete floor would provide a parallel path to earth.

Yes, but a really good earth rod in damp soil might manage 20 Ohms and the same at the transformer. By contrast, the earth path through all the green and yellow might be, say 0.5 Ohm. So assuming that any earth leakage is to the bed or case of the machine, the vast majority (99%+) will go down the green and yellow.

The insulation of your junction box should be sound. Around one megaohm is about the minimum acceptable resistance, but a new machine in good order should achieve one gigaohm.

25/09/2023 17:10:29
Posted by Martin Shaw 1 on 25/09/2023 15:50:03:

The ammeter reads to the nearest 10mA and the displayed leakage was exactly 0, both on the main earthing conductor and the phase and neutral conductors, so less than 5mA total. Entirely possible that I have good quality equipment that doesn't leak much to earth but I wonder on this basis how much domestic plant as opposed to poor wiring or miswired plugs actually causes RCDs to trip.

I am afraid that it is not quite as simple as that.

What type of earthing do you have please: TN-S, TN-C-S, or TT?

(FWIW, the current in my earthing conductor when I started writing this was 0.17 A, but Mrs P. has just put on the tumble drier and it has gone up to 3.5 A.)

25/09/2023 16:57:16
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 25/09/2023 12:28:45:
Posted by Robert Atkinson 2 on 25/09/2023 07:47:01:

Wot I said....

Yes, but I'm glad of all the clarifications. My understanding wasn't good enough! I assumed current in the earth cable should be measured, now I know better.

Hang on - this is all getting a bit muddled.

If you think that there is high earth leakage, you need to measure or calculate it, which requires access to the conductors individually. I see no advantage in testing L & N together as opposed to the CPC. If the device is bonded and you test L & N together, you do not know which route any missing electrons are taking.

25/09/2023 12:03:24
Posted by Master of none on 24/09/2023 23:01:37:

In discussions with Meggar, they recommended using the clamp meter around line and neutral together. A parallel path to earth through an extraneous conductive part (e.g. water pipe, gas pipe or structural steelwork) could reduce the current in the earthing conductor and give a misleading measurement of the difference between line and neutral currents. The clamp meter needs to cover the range 0-30mA.

Only: (1) if there are any extraneous CPs (which is seldom the case in modern homes); and (2) the device is attached to an ECP and the fault or leakage is to that.

Thread: Ctaract surgery - a few years on
25/09/2023 08:12:08
Posted by John Doe 2 on 25/09/2023 00:02:57:

The eye focuses through a combination of the cornea; changing the lens shape, and changing the shape of the eyeball.These shape changes are accomplished by muscles in and around the eye.

No, that is not correct.

The lens and iris are controlled by smooth muscles, which cannot be exercised like striated muscles.

Presbyopia arises from stiffening of the lens, not weakening of the muscles.

The extra-ocular muscles swivel the eyes.

24/09/2023 21:07:01

The great thing about natural eye lenses is that they can alter their focal length.

The problem is that the cornea might not focus correctly.

Right now in the interval of the Wales/Australia match, I am reminded that by my mid-teens I could not see the ball at the far end of the pitch. You could wear spectacles for cricket (I have seen a young Sir Geoffrey do so) but not rugby and we did not have contact lenses in those days.

Don't forget that one can wear one's short-sighted -ve lenses with +ve reading glasses at the same time.

For some reason, people think that it is a little odd.

24/09/2023 20:58:47
Posted by Robert Atkinson 2 on 24/09/2023 19:19:24:

You don't actually measure thr current in the CPC ("earth" conductor). This is becuse the leakage culd be finding a different path to ground. You do what an RCD does, measure the difference in current between the line and neutral. A clamp meterto do this has to go around the line and neutral.

You can put your clamp meter around line and neutral together, or CPC, but it doesn't make any difference.

You could even put two AVOs in the line and neutral and calculate the difference.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate