Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Coventry Die Head

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Chris Crew27/03/2023 16:00:32
418 forum posts
15 photos

After watching the MrCrispin Coventry die head video on YouTube I decided one might be a novel addition to my workshop. I found the items advertised on eBay and put several in my watch list. One was for a job-lot of three for which it stated they all appeared to work and I received an offer price. I was actually going to reject this offer and the items but, being a weak-willed and spineless character, I pressed the accept button. However, I may have to wear the donkey's ears for a couple of weeks because when the items arrived none of them appear work and all of them will need some remedial work to a lesser or greater extent, or so it appears given a cursory 'once-over'.

So, the questions are these: does anyone have an exploded diagram of one of these devices, is there any company in existence that can supply parts (apart from the chasers which appear to be easily sourced) because I assume these devices have not been manufactured since Alfred Herbert's demise and has anyone else refurbished one of these devices before and could provide some advice?

I am hoping that I can salvage at least one working die-head from the three almost identical ones that I bought and put the rest down to experience.

Andrew Johnston27/03/2023 16:29:16
7061 forum posts
719 photos

Wiseman Threading Tools do a wide range of spares.

Wiseman

Andrew

Rob McSweeney27/03/2023 17:08:42
98 forum posts

"The Book of the Coventry Diehead" has all the info. There is a downloadable version online somewhere.

bernard towers27/03/2023 17:28:38
1221 forum posts
161 photos

Best of luck Chris your problems are only just starting, wait till you start collecting die sets,I hate to think how much I spent. Good thing to make for them is the internal stop which is a must when making batches of Bolt/Screws. I have just made a batch of 5mm sq headed bolts and they were threaded at 300rpm and the head clicks off at the came place every time,Magic. Thoroughly recommend the book Rob mentioned.

Edited By bernard towers on 27/03/2023 17:29:30

noel shelley27/03/2023 17:31:25
2308 forum posts
33 photos

Hi Chris, What sizes and types have you got ? Rob has mentioned the book, it comes in many editions I think mine is ed 25. Noel.

Chris Crew27/03/2023 17:39:11
418 forum posts
15 photos

Noel, They were sold as being 1/2", not sure if this is correct as I am new to this type of device and until I acquire the book/manual I have no idea from where this dimension is taken. Many thanks to all for the responses, thus far.

Tony Pratt 127/03/2023 17:53:42
2319 forum posts
13 photos

Chris, were they sold as 'working'?, if they don't work send the lot back at the sellers expense.

Tony

Oldiron27/03/2023 17:56:33
1193 forum posts
59 photos

Chris you have a PM

regards

Chris Crew27/03/2023 18:55:41
418 forum posts
15 photos
Posted by Tony Pratt 1 on 27/03/2023 17:53:42:

Chris, were they sold as 'working'?, if they don't work send the lot back at the sellers expense.

Tony

Tony, unfortunately the seller stated 'no returns accepted'. I knew it was punt when I purchased the items, fortunately I elected to use PayPal's 'Pay-in-Three' facility so the financial damage has been spread. At least it has presented me with a challenge to sort out the issues, I actually enjoy repairing and refurbishing bits and pieces so I will now view my purchase as a project.

peak427/03/2023 19:19:40
2207 forum posts
210 photos

This Site may have some useful info as well
https://www.turbinejon.com/technical-data/

Bill

bernard towers27/03/2023 20:50:13
1221 forum posts
161 photos

Usually if its a 1/2' head that's the max size thread dia, although in later years oversize sets were available.

Oldiron27/03/2023 20:51:00
1193 forum posts
59 photos

Chris. The seller can say "no returns" but if you report to YT as not as described you can still get a refund.

Distant selling regulations apply on YT so goods have to be fit for purpose.

regards

Chris Crew27/03/2023 21:04:16
418 forum posts
15 photos

I have actually got one of these things working in a fashion, it was bunged up with old grease and dirt, but the return spring that rotates the 'scrolls' seems very weak although it may be that a stripping down and really thorough clean and lube may improve things. One of the others seems completely 'dead' and the third is in pieces on my bench. At the moment I have no idea how to re-assemble it but someone has been kind enough to send me a PDF of the manual so I am hoping to know a bit more before I go back into the workshop tomorrow. If I can resurrect at least two of them I will make some new levers with plastic knobs to smarten up their appearance. I will also make MrCrispin's clamping sleeve to fit a device to the Myford tail-stock. All good clean fun!

Emgee27/03/2023 21:27:20
2610 forum posts
312 photos

I have a couple of heads, 1/4" and 5/16" sizes, both of them are difficult to use as the dies don't stay closed other than holding the lever in position, doesn't seem to latch as it should.

Any tips most welcome.

Emgee

peak427/03/2023 21:40:00
2207 forum posts
210 photos
Posted by Chris Crew on 27/03/2023 21:04:16:

I have actually got one of these things working in a fashion, it was bunged up with old grease and dirt, but the return spring that rotates the 'scrolls' seems very weak although it may be that a stripping down and really thorough clean and lube may improve things. One of the others seems completely 'dead' and the third is in pieces on my bench. At the moment I have no idea how to re-assemble it but someone has been kind enough to send me a PDF of the manual so I am hoping to know a bit more before I go back into the workshop tomorrow. If I can resurrect at least two of them I will make some new levers with plastic knobs to smarten up their appearance. I will also make MrCrispin's clamping sleeve to fit a device to the Myford tail-stock. All good clean fun!

Which book have you been sent?
There's a 22MB pdf file available readily on line, or a (slightly) higher quality 75MB version, though I can't remember where I found that one offhand.
Both are 95 page documents entitled The Book Of The Coventry Diehead 25th edition.

The link I posted above on Trurbinejon, has some better quality photo essays

Bill

Chris Crew27/03/2023 21:45:37
418 forum posts
15 photos

Bill, The book I have been sent is the 24th Edition which is a 128 page PDF.

JohnF27/03/2023 22:25:38
1243 forum posts
202 photos

Here are a couple of sites that may be of interest.

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/4688/21649.pdf

http://www.namco-tooling.com/coventry-dieheads-chasers.html

John

Alan Donovan28/03/2023 06:55:09
81 forum posts
41 photos

+1 for Oldiron.

If you choose to ask for a refund, ebay have a complaints/dispute procedure you can use.  Details of how to proceed are on their website.

Edited By Alan Donovan on 28/03/2023 06:58:57

Edited By Alan Donovan on 28/03/2023 07:04:49

Edited By Alan Donovan on 28/03/2023 07:24:18

Bantam Bill28/03/2023 10:08:58
13 forum posts
1 photos

They are easy to strip down and rebuild, there is a manual available on the interweb. I was given a very rusty seized up 1/2” head, once stripped, cleaned and a few new parts from wiseman it works a treat, you might need to make an adaptor to fit the tailstock.

William Howcroft30/03/2023 17:22:03
12 forum posts

http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/pubs.aspx
under Alfred Herbert

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate