Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Saving energy

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
John MC23/11/2022 07:33:15
464 forum posts
72 photos

As the cost of heating our homes rises I'm interested in any way I can save some money on, in my circumstance, solid fuel.

I came across this recently, https://heathero.ie/

If it does as claimed then I may well be interested. Thing is, after reading the description, trawling the web etc I'm none the wiser as to how it works!

I watched a YT clip of the device being presented on the Irish version of "dragons den", the inventor didn't seem to really understand how the device worked. That may have been nerves through being on the TV?

So, over to you lot, any ideas?

John Haine23/11/2022 07:53:59
5563 forum posts
322 photos

It has some of the hallmarks of those gadgets you plug in to any socket to clean up the electricity supply or the magnets you put round the cold water pipe to stop limescale.

Robert Atkinson 223/11/2022 08:05:18
1891 forum posts
37 photos

From the simple description it sounds like it pressurises a vented heating system and claims to improve the flow by doing so.
I'm not convinced. Sounds like a good way of finding leaks and weak spots in a system.

Hopper23/11/2022 09:17:21
7881 forum posts
397 photos

Save 50 per cent on your heating bill? Sounds too good to be true.

Michael Gilligan23/11/2022 09:29:58
23121 forum posts
1360 photos
Posted by Robert Atkinson 2 on 23/11/2022 08:05:18:

[…]

Sounds like a good way of finding leaks and weak spots in a system.

At the recommended head of 8metres, applied to a previously unpressurised system, I am inclined to agree.

MichaelG.

Clive Foster23/11/2022 09:57:23
3630 forum posts
128 photos

Looks to be basically a temperature controlled flow restrictor dooby. I imagine the idea is to effectively stop the pump pulling water through the boiler if the boiler output temperature is lower than the set optimum value.

Theoretically an open vented pumped system can pull water through the boiler so fast that it doesn't heat up properly. So the radiators run at too low a temperature and heat is wasted from the fire because the water doesn't have time to absorb all the heat.

Sounds good but mostly pure baloney of the brain baffling variety if the heating sytem has been properly installed.

The latter being a fairly dubious assumption if the plumbers and heating engineers I've met are typical. They may be good on the pipework bit but lack a proper understanding of heat transfer effects. The how to do it guides they use seem very dubious to me. But back in the day Her Maj paid me on the assumption that understanding thermal signatures, infra red sensing and all the other hotter than background stuff was my business.

May have some effect on a cheap enclosed fire with back boiler shoehorned onto a system laid out for a pumped combi or gas boiler feed. But even then its mostly an edge of the performance envelope effect. Those things are so bad anyway that there are much more important things to sort.

On a proper pot boiler system with large bore pipe runs intended for thermo syphon operation you will make things worse.

The old style Crane et al pot boilers are remarkably efficient in a thermo syphon system given a decent two storey or more head. Messy and individual room temperature control is a total bitch but efficient. The old system we had when I were a lad would run over two days on one of those vertical "pour scuttles" full of fuel. Probably about a foot diameter holding maybe two foot of coal. My job to clean in the morning, top up twice a day and bank up for the night. Such joy when we went all modern with gas. Dad unimpressed that the heating bill went up.

Might be interesting to see what could be done with a pot boiler pump assisted thermo syphon system given modern controls on the radiators with engineered bypass loops and a servo operated damper on the boiler. Auto fuel feed too please.

Clive

Clive India23/11/2022 10:04:49
277 forum posts

I think it's like going back 40 years - circulation by convection.
Saves a little electricity by not having a pump - but then they add one in anyway.

I think it's another example of having a good website to give the impression of competence.
Does it help to have Paddy telling you how good it is? Oh dear - is that racist?

There are one or two others around - this one takes the biscuit for me - adverts crawling all over Youtube suggesting you can heat your home for very little.

Edited By Clive India on 23/11/2022 10:14:55

John Haine23/11/2022 10:16:14
5563 forum posts
322 photos
Posted by Clive India on 23/11/2022 10:04:49:

- this one takes the biscuit for me -

Blaupunkt! How the mighty have fallen...

SillyOldDuffer23/11/2022 10:22:01
10668 forum posts
2415 photos

I too am suspicious of strong marketing and obscure technical descriptions!

However, I think the claim of improved efficiency here comes from the system being able to send heat to direct to radiators rather than via a heat exchanger, which probably is a benefit because heat exchangers waste some heat.

An efficiency improvement of "up to 50%" is claimed; maybe, but remember "up to" claims allow for 0% as well! I think how well it works depends on the circumstances.

Solid fuel boilers have a fundamental fuel efficiency problem, which is that the flame can't be adjusted to match demand. The fire burns even when no heat is wanted and although some is stored in the heat exchanger, the system avoids blowing up by wastefully venting heat. In contrast, oil, gas and Electric systems all stop consuming fuel once water is up to temperature, and only come back on when needed.

Solid fuel works well when the system runs more or less continually, or when the operator fires it up and down as necessary. A common arrangement is for a solid fuel boiler to cheaply heat a tankful of water, and then have an electric element or gas/oil boiler to cover top up demand. Efficiency is improved by combining two systems.

Cost and efficiency aren't quite the same thing. In financial terms, solid fuel is cheaper per therm at the boiler than electricity because there are no conversion costs. But solid fuel is poor at providing heat when and where it's needed. Most of the thermal value of cheap solid fuel goes up the chimney. In contrast, electric immersion heaters waste almost no heat, - far more thermally efficient - but the fuel is more expensive. When comparing heating systems, the per therm cost of fuel can be grossly misleading - an electric system might be cheaper because it only delivers heat where it's needed. At the moment gas is the best compromise: moderately cheap fuel with good automatic control reducing waste.

I don't have to worry about it. My home and lifestyle are completely unsuited to solid fuel heating! But solid fuel works well for others, who might take a punt on it. I notice the device hails from Eire where there are plenty of isolated homes and peat is a popular cheap fuel.

Dave

Ady123/11/2022 10:27:07
6137 forum posts
893 photos

We use the Junkie system when we're in front of the telly, a couple of decent sleeping bags

Good exercise for you getting into and out of one too

Bazyle23/11/2022 10:46:47
6956 forum posts
229 photos

Here's another one "the only aproved.....". (advertising garbage of course)

The only 'improvement' you can make to a solid fuel boiler is to fit one of the several expensive flow control systems that recirculate the warm water round the boiler until it reaches about 60C while ensuring a failover to gravity flow if the pump breaks or loses electricity. This is to reduce the period of low temperature combustion producing condensation (hence rust) and unburned hydrocarbons that rot even stainless flues.
This uses a thermostatic valve - normally the same as a car radiator one actually. Ideally they would close when hot but because they do actually use a car one the system gets a bit convoluted to make an open when hot one work.
They are called "charging stations" or "hear charger" eg this one. Or this one by laddomat who have probably been in the business the longest..

Anyway what you actually get is a few years extra life on your boiler and chimney liner before rot out and maybe a few % increased efficiency for an hour a day.

Nit pick. The diagrams fail to show the mandatory heat link radiator (water tank has valve so non-compliant) and injector-T and overheat vent. In theory if you make a change to the existing 20th century arrangement you have to fit the extra mandatory extras.

old mart23/11/2022 19:20:54
4655 forum posts
304 photos

I take these wonderful claims with a pinch of salt, its a shame that some people waste money on them.

John Doe 224/11/2022 11:25:38
441 forum posts
29 photos

Sadly, a lot of folk have no technical knowledge or appreciation of basic physics, or how things work generally.

But you can't blame people for grasping at such things when fuel prices are so high and the energy suppliers are making BILLIONS in profits.

The price of fuel in Saudi Arabia is, or was, a few cents per litre, so why is our own North sea oil so expensive to us?

Edited By John Doe 2 on 24/11/2022 11:28:02

derek hall 124/11/2022 11:59:11
322 forum posts
Posted by John Doe 2 on 24/11/2022 11:25:38:

Sadly, a lot of folk have no technical knowledge or appreciation of basic physics, or how things work generally.

But you can't blame people for grasping at such things when fuel prices are so high and the energy suppliers are making BILLIONS in profits.

The price of fuel in Saudi Arabia is, or was, a few cents per litre, so why is our own North sea oil so expensive to us?

Tax..... ?

KWIL24/11/2022 12:12:23
3681 forum posts
70 photos

Saudi production volumes are enormous compared to UK, they make enough selling to the world to subsidise their own use.

Tony Pratt 124/11/2022 15:00:37
2319 forum posts
13 photos
Posted by derek hall 1 on 24/11/2022 11:59:11:
Posted by John Doe 2 on 24/11/2022 11:25:38:

Tax..... ?

Yes mainly tax, and why are we so highly taxed?? I will stop there as it's political.

Tony

Bruce Newman24/11/2022 15:46:52
20 forum posts
2 photos

It looks like it reconfigures the pump to pull the heated water through the stove instead of pushing cold water through and pushes hot water through radiators and HW cylinder instead of pulling. It may improve efficiency and it seems to be logical.

Incidentally when I installed my heating, I put the pump at the highest point pumping downwards and found that when I had to replace the pump, I had installed it in the one position that the replacement would not work, I had to drill a small hole internally to get it to prime itself.

John MC25/11/2022 07:52:57
464 forum posts
72 photos

Thanks for the replies guys. I did so want this to be worth doing but my suspicions have been confirmed.

I think it may help in a gravity feed heating system, something from the days when a house had a cellar where the boiler would be sited, with all the radiators above then the water would tend to circulate without the encouragement of a pump. Having said that it would probably be cheaper to fit a pump!

I think pumping water around the (Soild fuel fired) system too quickly would be a bad thing. As has been stated, water needs to spend time in the boiler to pick up heat, passing the water through too quickly will cool the boiler too much. I wonder if the "designer" thinks pressurising the system will mitigate this?

When I installed my system I looked at various devices that would actually improve performance, Laddomat, I think, was one of them.

I fitted an additional thermostat to the boiler that switches the circulating pump off when the water in the boiler drops below a certain temperature. This does two things, allows the water temperature to "catch up", the pump intially cycles on/off a few time before running continuously. It also keeps the boiler hot enough to stop internal condensation. This is the same as devices such as the Laddomat does, more or less. Considerably cheaper, the bits cost a few pounds from RS.

I see that the designer got €60,000 from the the Irish version of Dragons Den. Are the dragons smarter than us, have we missed something?

Michael Gilligan25/11/2022 08:21:48
23121 forum posts
1360 photos
Posted by John MC on 25/11/2022 07:52:57:

[…]

I see that the designer got €60,000 from the the Irish version of Dragons Den. Are the dragons smarter than us, have we missed something?

Speaking for myself :

What I had missed, originally, was the explanatory document that is linked just under the link to the video:

**LINK**

https://heathero.ie/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Heat-Hero-Gravity-Manual.pdf

MichaelG.

Robert Atkinson 225/11/2022 08:34:25
1891 forum posts
37 photos
Posted by John Haine on 23/11/2022 10:16:14:
Posted by Clive India on 23/11/2022 10:04:49:

- this one takes the biscuit for me -

Blaupunkt! How the mighty have fallen...

They were bought out from Bosch then went bust and the brand name was bought. "The brand is now managed by GIP Development SARL of Luxembourg and is used on various product groups worldwide."
All too common these days e.g. Sports Direct.

Robert G8RPI.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate