Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Filing rest - hardened guides ruining files

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mike Donnerstag11/07/2022 20:34:18
231 forum posts
53 photos

I recently made a Hemingway filing rest, hardening the rotating silver steel guides as stated in the instructions. These rotate freely though, being hardened, files don’t have any ‘bite’ on the guides and skate over them without them rotating. Furthermore, I found that the teeth on the files were bluntened very quickly.

Has anyone had a similar experience with hardened filing guides?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Andrew Johnston11/07/2022 21:10:51
7061 forum posts
719 photos

Armchair - check

Popcorn - check

Beer - check

Let battle between hardened rollers and soft rollers begin!

I don't have a filing rest, but when using filing buttons I regard them as consumables and leave them soft.

Andrew

Tony Pratt 111/07/2022 21:23:23
2319 forum posts
13 photos

Just leave the rollers soft & report back.

Tony

Mikelkie11/07/2022 21:49:14
135 forum posts
13 photos

Try teflon for filing rollers

bernard towers11/07/2022 23:21:46
1221 forum posts
161 photos

I have been using two filing rests for goodness knows how long both with hardened rollers and have never had trouble with blunting files, possibly you might be dwelling on the point where the file has done its work and you need to move onto the next flat etc.

Hopper12/07/2022 00:23:30
7881 forum posts
397 photos

All the old ME books by Thomas, Sparey, Bradley, Westbury etc specify hardened rollers. So it is long established practice.

Maybe modern cheap files are not up to the job?

Solution would be buy good files or use soft rollers. Either mild steel or delrin etc which might be better.

JasonB12/07/2022 07:17:43
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

I don't use a rest but do leave filing buttons soft.

Question for the Hardened side of the fence, what colour do you temper them to as I don't see this being mentioned just "hardened"

Hopper12/07/2022 07:22:23
7881 forum posts
397 photos
Posted by JasonB on 12/07/2022 07:17:43:

Question for the Hardened side of the fence, what colour do you temper them to as I don't see this being mentioned just "hardened"

I have mostly used soft filing buttons but recently made a pair from silver steel, hardened at cherry red and not tempered at all, out of sheer laziness. Files seemed just fine afterwards. But they are 40 year old files from apprentice days so were of good quality. And used with a suitably light touch when down to the button.

Edited By Hopper on 12/07/2022 07:23:37

Ramon Wilson12/07/2022 07:55:18
1655 forum posts
617 photos
Posted by JasonB on 12/07/2022 07:17:43:

Hardened buttons should be fixed - soft should be free to roll, if they don't, and without a degree of caution the file can do its work on the button too and the part can easily be spoilt.

If hardened rollers/buttons roll then the file will wear quickly as opposed to skating across the surface when fixed. Very easy to tell when the two faces contact. I have made them soft but ensuring they roll freely is often more time consuming than hardening

Like Bernard been using hardened buttons for far longer than I care to think but never bother to temper them - a quick quench and use straight away - their purpose is usually a one off and simply not worth doing. Never throw them away of course - they might get a second or more go in the future.

I made a small filing rest with hardened (rolling) rollers many years ago - spoilt a couple of files before loctiting them in place. Don't use it often I agree but it works well when I do.

Tug

martin perman12/07/2022 08:08:13
2095 forum posts
75 photos

Gentlemen,

Never come across filing buttons before could somebody please tell me what they are and how to use them.

Martin P

Baz12/07/2022 08:23:46
1033 forum posts
2 photos

My filing buttons have always been hardened, never tempered and always allowed to rotate. New files are kept for brass and when they loose their edge they are used on steel, when they are nearly worn out they are used for filing button duty. Never had a problem with buttons rotating.

Hopper12/07/2022 08:44:38
7881 forum posts
397 photos
Posted by martin perman on 12/07/2022 08:08:13:

Gentlemen,

Never come across filing buttons before could somebody please tell me what they are and how to use them.

Martin P

If you want to file a radius on something, such as a half-round end on a piece of flat bar, or the round small end on a model engine connecting rod, you turn up two pieces of silver steel of the correct diameter with a hole in the middle and harden them. Then put them either side of the work with a screw going through the filing buttons and the work and tighten up. You then take a file and file the job down undil the file just hits the hardened disc. Result, a perfect rounded end or radius.

Martin Kyte12/07/2022 09:00:35
3445 forum posts
62 photos

I would advocate sharp files and gentle pressure to maintain the life of the file when using a filing rest with hardened rollers. However my prefference would be leave the rollers soft.

regards Martin

JA12/07/2022 09:02:34
1605 forum posts
83 photos

There is no correct answer to this.

I made a filing rest over 20 years ago and kept the rollers soft. It is not frequently used and soft rollers have not been a problem. I made my first few sets of filing buttons soft and they had to be chucked after their first use. I now hardened filing buttons and have a large selection readily at hand. There is something very satisfying about spending 15 minutes sorting through the collection instead of making new buttons.

Really it is a matter of your time. It is quick and easy to using soft tooling once or twice. After that you should think about hard tooling. We frequently got this wrong at work where cost was also a consideration.

JA

I use my filing buttons clamped, not free to rotate. As for tempering, I use the kitchen oven (modern, electric, fan heating and good temperature control).

Edited By JA on 12/07/2022 09:07:57

Martin Kyte12/07/2022 09:03:49
3445 forum posts
62 photos

Sorry for the multipost, the internet just fell over for a couple of minutes.

regards Martin

larry phelan 112/07/2022 09:32:23
1346 forum posts
15 photos

Shame on you, Martin P !!!

Even I have heard of them, just too lazy to make them !cheeky

martin perman12/07/2022 09:46:40
2095 forum posts
75 photos

Hopper, thank you for your description of filing buttons.

Larry, I'm sad to say that I've never heard or seen them even during my engineering apprenticeship they never popped up, I dont do model engineering, my grandfather did, but I restore old engines and have my own workshop and have always filed radiuses using radius gauges and following scribed lines.

Martin P

Nigel Graham 212/07/2022 10:06:01
3293 forum posts
112 photos

I think this thread is diverging into confusingly talking about quite different tools - for quite different purposes too!

'

The OP is describing a Filing Rest, a lathe attachment used for filing flats on a turned end of the work-piece.

It guides the file by it running without sliding, on two freely-rotating rollers on a yoke of adjustable height, straddling the work from below. It allows creating polygons, in conjunction with a suitable dividing arrangement on the lathe spindle.

Hardened rollers should not hurt a good-quality file, provided they do revolve freely and the file is not made to move diagonally. I think some people have used small, sealed ball-bearings races for the rollers.

Looking at Hemingway's catalogue, their Precision Filing-Rest rollers are flanged to guide the file's safe edge. This both keeps the file on track, at right-angles to the lathe axis, and gives repeated facet lengths.

'

A Filing-Button as others describe is a template for filing arcs of its own radius.

A Button can be made to revolve (should be, if hardened) or be held rigidly to the work, usually by a screw (and nut) through the hole concentric with the intended arc, to aid forming the end of, for example, a motion-gear link.

It is meant to guide the filing, not the file, and if hardened it can soon lead to blunt files unless used with great care!

I don't have a filing-rest but often use filing-buttons, and sometimes the work dimensions allow this to be no more than two ordinary washers, one each side of the work. If I hit them with the file, they don't harm the tool.

Hopper12/07/2022 10:27:49
7881 forum posts
397 photos
Posted by martin perman on 12/07/2022 09:46:40:

Hopper, thank you for your description of filing buttons.

Larry, I'm sad to say that I've never heard or seen them even during my engineering apprenticeship they never popped up, I dont do model engineering, my grandfather did, but I restore old engines and have my own workshop and have always filed radiuses using radius gauges and following scribed lines.

Martin P

Hardened filing buttons set up ready to use. No files were noticeably harmed in the making of this part. File was stroked from the right to left of this photo, rocked so it followed the shape of the desired curve and so the file contacted the curved surface of the hard button when down to size, not dragged acrross that sharp edge at the front in this view.

dscn0897.jpg

bernard towers12/07/2022 10:28:39
1221 forum posts
161 photos

Jason, In answer to your question all of the drawings / descriptions I have seen go for case hardening which is how both my filing rests were made

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate