Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Advice sought on buying a nature watch camera for my garden

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Greensands22/06/2022 14:11:22
449 forum posts
72 photos

Hi - Something has been attacking the plant life in my garden rooting up newly planted bulbs and the like and I would like to find out who the guilty party might be. Can anyone suggest a good/medium quality I/R nature camera which might be suitable for the job? Don't wish to spend silly money, something around £50 to £60 perhaps. All suggestions most welcomed

bernard towers22/06/2022 14:50:54
1221 forum posts
161 photos

just had a look and amazon has a massive choice, but on other sites the price goes as low as £19.99.!!!

lee webster22/06/2022 15:02:09
383 forum posts
71 photos

The culprit in my garden was,and still is, badgers. I am not sure how to deter them.

Ady122/06/2022 15:44:34
6137 forum posts
893 photos
Posted by lee webster on 22/06/2022 15:02:09:

The culprit in my garden was,and still is, badgers. I am not sure how to deter them.

Male urine can keep the critters away in some cases

I used to pee into a bottle all day and chuck it around my garden at night

the damage they could inflict on my lawn was extensive, the first time it happened I thought some nutter vandal had taken a spade and hacked up the garden

They stayed away but I don't know if it was really me wee

Edited By Ady1 on 22/06/2022 15:46:42

Mike Poole22/06/2022 16:06:23
3676 forum posts
82 photos

I bought a cheap one from Amazon, around £30. I wanted to see whether a hedgehog was interested in the house we had provided. I imagine most have the same basic features. Motion detection, run time from the trigger activity and the time window for detection. Letting it run during daylight will catch birds and it’s surprising what cats pass through the garden at night. We did capture the hedgehog but he has not taken up residence, we knew a hedgehog was about as he had left his calling card on the lawn. A badger would need a fairly large access point I would think but cats and hedgehogs squeeze under my gate and use the hole in a chain link fence. Of course cats and squirrels are not constrained by fences. Squirrels can tear up grass if they are hunting for nuts. Wireless cameras are available but my cheapie just has a memory card which I have to collect from the camera and view on a computer, the card will usually be an extra on top of the camera cost.

Mike

Edited By Mike Poole on 22/06/2022 16:08:57

Joseph Noci 122/06/2022 16:13:15
1323 forum posts
1431 photos
Posted by Greensands on 22/06/2022 14:11:22:

Hi - Something has been attacking the plant life in my garden rooting up newly planted bulbs and the like and I would like to find out who the guilty party might be. Can anyone suggest a good/medium quality I/R nature camera which might be suitable for the job? Don't wish to spend silly money, something around £50 to £60 perhaps. All suggestions most welcomed

I use HIKVISION cameras a fair bit - camping lodge water-hole viewing, home perimeter watch, etc. The DS-2CD2012WD ( 4mm lens) is a small camera that works very well at night, self IR illumination up to around 30meters - 12V DC and a LAN cable to your PC with their software and you can view, record, etc. I am sure you have HIKVISION in the UK - around $60 on ebay. They also have WiFi cameras of similar ilk - need only supply +12v, if you have a WiFi router in your home for your internet, etc, then that is more convenient - there are around twice the price though...

There are wildlife cameras ( https://www.wildviewcameras.co.uk, etc - ) from a number of 'outdoor' shops, but those cams are generally above £100 ( plus!)

If you have a decent Security product supplier nearby I would pay them a visit. ( https://www.argos.co.uk / https://www.gardenersworld.com/, etc)

Roderick Jenkins22/06/2022 16:22:44
2376 forum posts
800 photos

I've got a Ltl Acorn 5310. Works fine on hedgehogs (and cats) in the garden and pine martins and red squirrels at the cabin in Scotland we rented last week.

Rod

Brian Wood22/06/2022 17:09:55
2742 forum posts
39 photos

Hello Greensands,

We have a mains powered camera that will do what you want which is sensitive enough to see mice and oddly enough moths!

It is sold at the BT shop, model number C320WS, cost below £60. Attributes include Wi-Fi, range depends on your modem and it needs a micro SD card to save images on

Images are in full colour in daylight with excellent I/R night vision---the only drawback is that it needs mains power. Fitting is not difficult, a kit is provided and the necessary waterproofing

We are pleased with both ours. One watches for hedgehogs, the other operates as a door cam

Brian

Samsaranda22/06/2022 17:26:05
1688 forum posts
16 photos

Mike we had success with a hedgehog taking up residence in a hedgehog house that I built. The hedgehog came to us from our local vets, it had been injured and taken to the vets who patched her up and were looking for somewhere reasonably sheltered to release her. We released her in the garden and it was Autumn time so we kept leaving feed out for her every night by the house that I had built, the food disappeared every day so we assumed that she was still around. As the weather got colder we put out handfuls of hay by her food every night in front of the hedgehog house, each morning the food was gone and the hay had been dragged into the house, this carried on until midwinter when we stopped putting out hay as the house was full by then. Anyway the story resumes in the Spring and one day she was outside of the hedgehog house with 5 baby hoglets, almost as if she was showing them off to us. We didn’t have any cameras to record nocturnal activities but I am sure that we would have some amazing shots if we had. Dave W

Kiwi Bloke22/06/2022 22:54:47
912 forum posts
3 photos

What's this got to do with model engineering? No, I'm not a miserable old killjoy. It's one of the joys of this forum that wildly off-topic posts pop up quite often. They're usually fascinating, and the breadth of knowledge shown by contributors is amazing and humbling. Keep it up!

noel shelley22/06/2022 23:54:46
2308 forum posts
33 photos

HERE HERE ! Noel

John Haine23/06/2022 08:28:35
5563 forum posts
322 photos

This is THE TEA ROOM. Off topic by definition!

Dave Halford23/06/2022 10:31:38
2536 forum posts
24 photos

I'm blaming foxes for digging in my front garden

Journeyman23/06/2022 14:17:48
1257 forum posts
264 photos

Yes, foxes will do it. This blighter kept digging up my flowerpots. Don't know what could have made a tasty morsel in them though!

fox2.jpg

This is from the CCTV in the early hours.

John

Mike Poole23/06/2022 15:53:24
3676 forum posts
82 photos

The fox may be doing you a favour and eating slugs and snails though I would think it would not need digging to find this tasty delicacy.

Mike

Dennis D23/06/2022 18:15:18
84 forum posts
3 photos

I have a Campark T85 model. Mine has wifi and Bluetooth so that with an app on your phone you can see exactly where the camera is looking. Being battery powered means can move it around your garden to find entry and exit points.

Greensands23/06/2022 19:53:41
449 forum posts
72 photos

Dennis - I have read that the battery loife on a number of models can be quite short. How do you find your camera compares in this respect?

Bazyle23/06/2022 21:57:19
6956 forum posts
229 photos

Toguard H20 was recommended a couple of years ago by a club member as it only used 4 batteries and had run 3 months at the time on one set. It might be less range/ whatever though.

Foxes dig to get worms. Pots and compost heaps are easier to dig than hard earth. They don't eat slugs.

Dennis D24/06/2022 06:58:53
84 forum posts
3 photos

Greensands

One way of conserving battery life is to use the timer function so that the camera only becomes active during that period. Use of good quality batteries also helps. Mine uses 8 at a time so Duracell work out expensive but supermarket own brand are OK. Length of video recording is also something that will drain but 30 sec is long enough. IR light is another drain but most often you can set a delay between recording so you don't get 5 minutes of your cat chasing moths.

Grizzly bear24/06/2022 19:43:35
337 forum posts
8 photos

Badgers, can you still get Claymores?

Bear........

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate